Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2020, 12:48 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Scary stuff

DW and I were sitting in our new coach today 3 weeks into a snowbird trip to Florida. We both smelled something nasty and caustic. After a good while I discovered that one of the two 12V house batteries was literally boiling and smoking noxious white fumes. The case was hot enough that some of the wiring insulation was beginning to melt. Got everything disconnected and apart. The hot battery had just over 10V but it’s connected mate that was still cool was only showing 5V. Best guess is a dead shorted cell and the converter was trying its darndest to get the voltage up, cooking the bad battery. I’m no expert but looked to me to be on the razor edge of a catastrophe! Batteries had a date code of 18 months ago and and Interstate warranty of just 12 months. Argh! 2 new batteries and all seems to be well again. Maybe the coach builder (SOB) will reimburse me since we’ve only owned it for 4 months. I think it sat on the dealers lot for over a year so probably their neglect damaged it or it had a manufacturing defect. DW was very, very alarmed! Never a good thing....

Old 02-26-2020, 12:54 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I recognized the smell before my batteries got that far, but they were headed there.

In my thread I have info on automatic fire extinguishers. I'll order two more for the battery compartment.
I hadn't thought to put any there.
Thanks.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:08 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Wow that is scary stuff. Boiling battery is off gassing hydrogen gas. In a confined space like a battery compartment it can explode.

I know first hand about exploding a battery. In the mid 70’s I had a Plymouth Valiant brought into the garage flooded out and the battery dead. Put the battery on high amperage or as we called it a hot charge. While pulling the spark plugs to dry out my air ratchet bumped the positive post, sparked and the whole top of the battery blew up in my face! I’ll never forget as it happened on my 21st birthday. After several hours in ER getting my eyes rinsed and neutralized my buddies took me to the tavern for my 21st birthday with my eyes wrapped in gauze bandages!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:34 AM   #4

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Batts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
DW and I were sitting in our new coach today 3 weeks into a snowbird trip to Florida. We both smelled something nasty and caustic. After a good while I discovered that one of the two 12V house batteries was literally boiling and smoking noxious white fumes. The case was hot enough that some of the wiring insulation was beginning to melt. Got everything disconnected and apart. The hot battery had just over 10V but it’s connected mate that was still cool was only showing 5V. Best guess is a dead shorted cell and the converter was trying its darndest to get the voltage up, cooking the bad battery. I’m no expert but looked to me to be on the razor edge of a catastrophe! Batteries had a date code of 18 months ago and and Interstate warranty of just 12 months. Argh! 2 new batteries and all seems to be well again. Maybe the coach builder (SOB) will reimburse me since we’ve only owned it for 4 months. I think it sat on the dealers lot for over a year so probably their neglect damaged it or it had a manufacturing defect. DW was very, very alarmed! Never a good thing....
Our 2019 Bay Star was built in August of 2018 and the house batteries died a few months ago. Interstate wouldn't give us the time of day since they were over one year old. Newmar told me that it was a dealership responsibility as to how the batteries were cared for. Dealership paid me for one new original battery ($120?) which I used toward two AGM 6 volts. Glad you were okay.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:52 AM   #5

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Our 2019 Bay Star was built in August of 2018 and the house batteries died a few months ago. Interstate wouldn't give us the time of day since they were over one year old. Newmar told me that it was a dealership responsibility as to how the batteries were cared for. Dealership paid me for one new original battery ($120?) which I used toward two AGM 6 volts. Glad you were okay.

Mines a Bay Star Sport with just about the same build date! My dealer (500 miles from home) had a terrific price on the coach but was a dismal disappointment in every other way. I’ll try Newmar and probably that dreadful dealer but $273 is not worth getting an ulcer over. I’m feeling glad it did t happen in the dead of night or while we were away from the coach. It’s always something.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:55 AM   #6

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I recognized the smell before my batteries got that far, but they were headed there.

In my thread I have info on automatic fire extinguishers. I'll order two more for the battery compartment.

I hadn't thought to put any there.

Thanks.

I’m going to have to look into those things. My absorption fridge is dead too, at the moment.....
Old 02-26-2020, 02:26 AM   #7

THOR #13932
My inverter has a battery temp circuit that kicks off the inverter and charger. With your good/bad battery temperature combo I don't know if will Do anything.

But

I think I've seen an aftermarket battery temp cutout circuit....

Old 02-26-2020, 02:52 AM   #8

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
My inverter has a battery temp circuit that kicks off the inverter and charger. With your good/bad battery temperature combo I don't know if will Do anything.

But

I think I've seen an aftermarket battery temp cutout circuit....

Thanks. I’ll look into that. I suppose I’m lucky the thing didn’t explode in my face while I was disconnecting everything.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:58 AM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Batteries

Quote:
Mines a Bay Star Sport with just about the same build date! My dealer (500 miles from home) had a terrific price on the coach but was a dismal disappointment in every other way. I’ll try Newmar and probably that dreadful dealer but $273 is not worth getting an ulcer over. I’m feeling glad it did t happen in the dead of night or while we were away from the coach. It’s always something.
The deal with batteries and these situations comes down to what we have read in many of these threads. The batteries get severely abused before they are sold to us.... dealer lots, sometimes RV shows, etc. I don't care if you like Interstate batteries or not, they just can't handle this abuse. For the little cost of the original batteries, it would be worth it to tell the dealer to put brand new batteries in before the deal is signed. By the way, I am dumping my original Ford chassis battery because it just corrodes the positive battery terminal too much and I have always hated adding water and cleaning battery terminals. A new AGM goes into it tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:26 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Pete,
Very scary stuff. Glad you guys are ok. My opinion of the stock batteries is to replace them with the first problem. The price of new batteries is small compared to fighting with the dealer and the street and headaches that go with it.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:16 AM   #11

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Pete,
Very scary stuff. Glad you guys are ok. My opinion of the stock batteries is to replace them with the first problem. The price of new batteries is small compared to fighting with the dealer and the street and headaches that go with it.

Jerry

Yes indeed. I expect my Ford starting battery was neglected as well and I’m going to give some thought to replacing it when we get home next month. Such scary failure must be somewhat unusual or you’d hear more stories like mine - or worse.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:22 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Yes indeed. I expect my Ford starting battery was neglected as well and I’m going to give some thought to replacing it when we get home next month. Such scary failure must be somewhat unusual or you’d hear more stories like mine - or worse.
I wouldn't replace it "just because," if you have or had a problem then yes

I'm still on my original batteries. Almost four years old. I dont do much dry camping so that helps them a lot

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:57 PM   #13

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Was the bad battery dry inside or seriously low?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:00 PM   #14

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Was the bad battery dry inside or seriously low?

Interestingly, it was still full. The white “smoke” smelled like acid (rather than rotten eggs). Not really sure what was happening inside but whatever it was it was pretty cataclysmic. Wish I knew....
Old 02-26-2020, 05:10 PM   #15

THOR #13932
My battery was ambient temp, full, and when I pulled a cap to see if it was low, it was boiling. I didn't think to touch it to ascertain a chemical boil from a thermal boil, but I don't remember any heat at all from it.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:12 PM   #16

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I wouldn't replace it "just because," if you have or had a problem then yes

I'm still on my original batteries. Almost four years old. I dont do much dry camping so that helps them a lot

Jerry

Jerry, it’s “magic eye” shows yellow even after 24 hours on the charger. Still starts things fine but I’m going to keep my own eye on it and perhaps buy a better one when I find a good sale.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:50 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #15745
Went to pickup our new Thor Hurricane 34j at Camping World Gander Rv of Bartow Florida. It had been sitting on their lot for almost a year. They found one of the Lead acid batteries boiling over. They replaced the one bad battery. The first time we took out the motor coach we smelled the Oder inside the coach. When we took it back for additional repair work I had them replace both house batteries with DEKA AGM Deep Cycle batteries. They credited me the cost of the two original house batteries. I did not want The hassle of filling batteries and having bad smell. They work great.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:22 PM   #18

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Replaced our house batteries with AGM toward the end of last summer. Plan to do the same with chassis/engine battery this season.