Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2022, 06:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
Battery charger Ace 30.2

Anyone know where the house 12v battery charger is located? I want to switch from flooded deep cycle to Agm deep cycle. I have read that a regular charger can damage/reduce the life of Agm batteries. Thanks

Old 10-02-2022, 07:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace30.2 View Post
Anyone know where the house 12v battery charger is located? I want to switch from flooded deep cycle to Agm deep cycle. I have read that a regular charger can damage/reduce the life of Agm batteries. Thanks
Where did you read that? Both FLA and AGM as well as SLA all use the same chemistry. As long as your converter works as it should in the 3 or 4 modes there should not be an issue.

But to answer your question, generally the converter charger is located in the bottom of the Power Center:

Some RVs use a stand=alonr converter/charger that would be located near or behind the power center:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:25 PM   #3

THOR #5063
Look it up. Thanks for info.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Look it up. Thanks for info.
Not sure where you want me to look up bad information?

But here's an excerpt from the WFCO 8955 Converter manual:

Quote:
LEAD ACID & AGM THREE-STAGE SMART CHARGING
In order to maximize battery life for lead acid and AGM batteries, it is best to charge batteries slowly, keep them topped off with a trickle-charge when the RV is not being used. The 3-Stage “smart” charger continuously measures the battery voltage output and regulates the amount of charge using three modes of operation: Absorption, Bulk and Float modes.
All WFCO power converters have automatic three-stage switching power supplies. The converter senses which mode it needs to be in by checking the RV system voltage.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:27 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
All lead acid batteries, except gel type use the same charging stages and voltages. Some of the more expensive chargers have a fourth stage know as equalization. AGM lead acid batteries should never be equalized. As far as I know only, Trojan deep cycle batteries recommends a equalization voltage than all other lead acid batteries.

AGM is just one three types of VRLA batteries and of the six types of lead acid batteries. Its main advantage is is can be mounted in any position.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:52 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
I have not read that, but when I purchased my 2 two new AGM 125ah VMax Tanks to replace my NAPA FLA, VMax tanks told me that the #1 cause of failure for AGM was Improper Charging. Before taking my order I had to send them my RV's Make / Model of Charger. When they learned it was Progressive Dynamics with Intelligent Wizard they said I was good to go.

With that said, the below is what any charger is required to do to properly charge my AGMs based on Mfg specifications
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charger.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	39639  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:30 PM   #7

State: Louisiana
THOR #26495
Quote:
On that unit the charger should be attached to the breaker box. Its all one piece I do believe. You do not have to change anything to go from lead acid to AGM batteries however. Most modern units have a small dip switch to flip if you are going to upgrade to lithium batteries. Otherwise lead acid and AGM batteries would stay the same. I think you are good to go.
Old 10-04-2022, 11:52 PM   #8

THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@theShop View Post
On that unit the charger should be attached to the breaker box. Its all one piece I do believe. You do not have to change anything to go from lead acid to AGM batteries however. Most modern units have a small dip switch to flip if you are going to upgrade to lithium batteries. Otherwise lead acid and AGM batteries would stay the same. I think you are good to go.

Thank you
Old 10-17-2022, 10:44 PM   #9

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
On the 30.4 its under the bed panel mounted up near top. Its the silver metal box on the left. Not sure why they did that, it always makes that side of the bed warm.

I actually mounted a plug outlet to the floor for the pwr chord. They had the pwr chord attached to a little adapter and then into the breaker panel. Kinda cheap and not really to any code.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-04-14_13-38-55.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	39781