Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2020, 11:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Hampshire
THOR #5819
Wheel Cover Woes

I'm a pretty competent wrench, but I feel stupid right now. We're about to enjoy a few days/nights in mid-coast ME and I was doing the pre-flight tire pressure check and found myself playing Whack-A-Mole trying to reseat the wheel covers. I appreciate the multi-steel fingers that grip the wheel, but my accustomed procedure of bracing the cover after seating it on part of the arc, and using a rubber mallet to work my way around didn't work!
What are your secrets?
Thanks-- I can't be the only one frustrated with this.
Peter

Old 07-05-2020, 11:06 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Heel planted firmly on the ground, toe pressed hard against the bottom of the cap, whack the top.
Fails three out of four times, but four times goes quickly.
I wish I knew a better way.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:53 AM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
i put mine in the attic to hold for resale. Used to take them off and on, didn't usually have too much trouble whacking them back on with the heal of my hand...but generally they were nothing but a pain in the neck and in the way.... storing them was among the best things I've done to the rig, IMO
Old 07-06-2020, 01:53 AM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Be careful taking them on/off causes the steel fingers to lose grip after multiple removals. I lost one on a trip and almost a second one that was showing weakness. I used a zip tie to help hold it onto the rim now. That chrome wheel cover cost $100.00 to replace plus I hope that the old one when it came off did not hit another vehicle as it rolled down the highway. I put valve extenders on so I don't have to take the wheel covers off to check the air pressure.

Paul
Old 07-06-2020, 05:51 PM   #5

State: Florida
THOR #19243
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
i put mine in the attic to hold for resale. Used to take them off and on, didn't usually have too much trouble whacking them back on with the heal of my hand...but generally they were nothing but a pain in the neck and in the way.... storing them was among the best things I've done to the rig, IMO

I did too, especially after the wheel cover cut my metal valve extension that I put on to extend the valve stem for the TPMS system I added. The wheel covers are VERY noisy too at low speeds. It really doesn’t look bad without them....Considering getting Alcoa aluminum wheels that don’t need any covers