Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation Sprinter 24SR
State: Oregon
THOR #972
Engine oil

Sorry if this is a repeat. Couldn't find a search function.

After 5k miles our new Citation Sprinter engine oil level is down to "minimum". Unfortunately I can't find anything with the rig that tells me what oil was in the engine at time of delivery. I do have a mobile 1 synthetic that meets standards and that I used exclusively for my Winnebago View.

Does anyone know what is typically used at time of delivery?

If it is an approved oil for the Sprinter, can I mix with what's already in there?

Ed

Old 09-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Your synthetic oil will do fine. That is what use to be in all of those units
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I typically just use dino oil as there was a lot of controversy in boat-owner's circles when I had a boat.

The wisdom was when you store an engine for 6 months, synthetic oil might not stay up in the engine and keep a fine coating on the parts. So as good as synthetic oil is for operation, the dock talk was that it was bad for storage.

I have never seen any kind of study either way as to whether or not this is true, however, if you change your oil enough, it really should not matter if you use dino or synthetic (notwithstanding any parts coating issues).

What really does matter though is changing oil prior to storage. Sulfuric acid is produced as a by product of combustion and it ends up in the oil. The wisdom here is that if old oil is left in an engine when it is stored, then the sulfuric acid could etch the components in storage.

Again, this is dock talk, and I suppose it also depends on how long your storage season is.

I always change oil in the fall of the season, just prior to storing the RV/genny. But my storage season is 6 months. Some (boaters used to) change oil again in the spring, but I never did, as I figure the oil should still be fresh from fall storage.