Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2022, 04:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
EPDM roofcoatings

As a nubie with an older (2005) rig I tend to hope for the best and plan for the worse. So far my inspection of my epdm roof looks in pretty decent shape with no tears or black areas. I read about roof coatings to prolong aging rv roofs and thought I might ask the gurus here their opinions. I checked the cost for total replacement and not likely to happen anytime soon. So what say the experienced rv guys as a preventative measure? Any brands stand out either pro or con?

Old 01-24-2022, 04:54 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Membrane roofs have a defined lifetime. The TPO roof on my motorhome naturally sheds over it's lifetime according to the manufacturer. The only maintenance they recommend is cleaning with a mild detergent and resealing of seams with Dicor/Sikaflex etc.

EPDM is older technology, and will last much longer than TPO. I would suggest you look up "care of EPDM roof" before coating it with anything. While it might be okay, you could do more harm than good.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:13 AM   #3

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
I have used the Liquid Rubber on an RV roof years ago and it worked well. It was a full days work with 2 of us working steadily... Here is another write up with pictures and a good narrative, much better than I could have explained...
https://www.2001mirada.com/re-coating-epdm-roof/
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 04:44 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
Thumbs up

I took an afternoon and went over the entire rig starting with the roof. A few small areas of concern to me turned up two problem areas. It looks as though the skylight or area nearby had leaked and did some water damage directly below the skylight at the opening to the shower stall. Additionally some delamination outside the shower area next to the e-exit window. I had thought the window might need resealing and i plan to do that but now another higher issue was discovered. The roof looks ok to me but I've decided to replace the aging skylight and reseal the whole area hoping to arrest any further damage.
After reading several videos on delam I'm confident I can repair that issue as well.
So it seems my repair and maint. list just went to page two. I had planned for a few repairs but wow. The costs for diy are not terrible just amazed I missed so many signs. The rig itself is very clean and low mileage so a decent investment in time and money.
All my research suggests simple repairs and future preventative care will yield several useable years and I've decided a roof recoating with either liquid roof or the dicor product is probably a good investment compared to a reroof at this time.
I'm slowly collecting a garage full of outside, inside, top, bottom and everything inbetween products for RV repairs. Gonna be a long winter! Once again thanks for the suggestions and guidance on my journey.

Tags
roof coatings