Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2021, 01:52 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
FWIW, I have never had Eternabond crack or peel up, over 5 years on one Rv and 8 years on the other.. Also never had to remove. (well there was the time it folded sticky sides together half thru applying a strip) .. Preparation is always the key..
Not an Expert--- But-- lacking my skill, perseverance and good looks, YMMV...

1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:41 AM   #42

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I have posted numerous times that when I get a new coach..... one of the first things I do is putt Eternabond Tape down over ever seam, vent, fan, ladder mounts and entry point into the roof. It ends having to check the Dicor every 3 to 6 months, adding Dicor, removing old Dicor, etc. All I do after that is clean the roof once a year.

I would....

- Wait for warmer temps and bright sun and it will adhere much better. The warmer the better.

- Clean the entire roof and Dicor

- Get the heavy roller as rolling the Dicor onto the surface is what help activates it.

- I had rolls of 3 different sizes to accomodate different widths of sealing need.

- I always carry a roll of Eternabong in case a storm, tree brach, etc. causes any roof damage so I can quickly repair it.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:25 PM   #43

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Ive seen several people say the cost is high for eturnabond. $50 bucks for 50 ft is cheap imo. I can do my 29m for $100 with some left over, thats if I dont screw it up :0

Now there is additional costs, good heavy roller and cleaner. DOing all the seems for $200 is pretty reasonable to me. Ill hopefully get it done this season but Im pretty lazy these days

Jerry
When you use the tubing for gutters, I’d like to see pictures. I’m having a difficult time imagining this. Are you going to rip the tubing in half?
Old 02-28-2021, 04:57 PM   #44

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
When you use the tubing for gutters, I’d like to see pictures. I’m having a difficult time imagining this. Are you going to rip the tubing in half?
I've seen this done on other sites. No ripping the tube. Just place tubing on the roof and cover with eternabond. The raised tubing in the tape will act as a rain gutter. The water will still run off but hopefully direct it so it does run off on my head

And when leveling I always raise the front a bit so water moves to the back
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:11 PM   #45

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefd View Post
Howdy all,

I'm about to pick up a 2018 Thor Axis 25.2. Happy about that!

For one of my first projects, I want to re-do the sealant on the roof with Eternabond tape. Amazon and a lot of other places sell it, but I have no idea how much I'll need.

Does anyone have a ballpark guess as to how many rolls I should get, and should I get the 2 inch or 4 inch wide tape?

How fast I can get to this project depends on the weather, It's 40F today but will get below freezing this weekend. Or should I just hold off until Spring?

And if anyone recommends against Eternabond, I'm willing to listen but a lot of folks seem to really like it vs regular liquid sealant.
Thanks!
If you ever have to remove it - it really sticks!!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:34 PM   #46

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Massachusetts
THOR #18508
I've thought of doing the same with Eternabond but mostly where the front and back cap meet the TPO. I've seen people mostly leave the original Dicor, clean it well and apply primer and the Eternabond. Anyone fully remove the Dicor first? The thought of accidentally nicking through the roof while doing it makes me think applying over is preferable although not as neat looking. What do you experienced proffessional forum contributors say?

BTW, I really like Halfprice's idea with the gutter. Seems very doable.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:05 AM   #47

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
I've thought of doing the same with Eternabond but mostly where the front and back cap meet the TPO. I've seen people mostly leave the original Dicor, clean it well and apply primer and the Eternabond. Anyone fully remove the Dicor first? The thought of accidentally nicking through the roof while doing it makes me think applying over is preferable although not as neat looking. What do you experienced proffessional forum contributors say?

BTW, I really like Halfprice's idea with the gutter. Seems very doable.

When I have done it the Dicor was still relatively new. If any is older and cracking / loose, I would remove it. Then I might add some fresh Dicor and EternaBond over it.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:41 PM   #48

Model: Magnitude SV34
THOR #18751
Eternabond Around A/C Units

Hello, new poster, long time reader!! I have a 2020 Magnitude SV34 (1st time RV’er) and I’ve begun upgrading around seams and vents on the roof with Eternabond. What about the A/C units?? Should those also get Eternabond?? Looking forward to some great answers!!
Old 03-13-2021, 03:44 PM   #49
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langw001 View Post
Hello, new poster, long time reader!! I have a 2020 Magnitude SV34 (1st time RV’er) and I’ve begun upgrading around seams and vents on the roof with Eternabond. What about the A/C units?? Should those also get Eternabond?? Looking forward to some great answers!!
No on the A/C - it has its own compression seal around the 14" x14" opening.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 04:03 PM   #50

THOR #12751
I have a 2020 Magnitude SV34 and put Eternabond everywhere but around the A/C units.

I did insulate the A/C units per the recommendations in some of the ouher threads.
Old 03-13-2021, 04:31 PM   #51

Model: Magnitude SV34
THOR #18751
Thank you for the quick reply!!