Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #21

Brand: Crossroads
State: Ohio
THOR #424
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post

Also, some handy owners that do their own repairs can sometimes get the manufacturer to ship the parts to them rather than the dealer.

Of course, after the first year of ownership, you'll be wanting to know how to repair things yourself anyway.

Which is why my tagline states: The only thing that works on a RV is the owner...
I have had Crossroads ship me a replacement Jensen audio system, stabilizing jack switchgear, and a wire loom for under my slide all at N.C. If there's any way I can fix it myself I will.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:04 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #2091
Good news, all it needed was a reset. The shop failed to put the RV into storage mode and as such, the batteries were dead. A recharge and reset, and the leveling system works.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #23

THOR #2091
Update. The Camping World service department has done it (or not) again. First they had the RV for 40 days and did nothing. We picked it up for a trip and returned it. All parts are in, and our time frame was explained. Dad called yesterday for an update and they haven't made any repairs in the two weeks they've had it. We leave for a cross country trip on Monday.

Dad is going in to meet with manager today.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #24

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Camping world is the worst! I will never deal with them again, our transaction was so horrible and even after the "Marcus rapid response team" got involve it only generated my empty promises and lies from Indianapolis Camping World. Tread lightly if you are considering buying or have them do repairs!
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:08 PM   #25

THOR #2091
They are, but they are also the only Thor authorized dealer / repair shop in our area. Everything is under warranty, no time for mobile units while on the road as we are a moving target, heading to California and then back, 7 weeks on the road
Old 07-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #26
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The warranty says 21 days for repairs.

Call Thor and get them involved. Inform Thor that you are sending a letter informing them of the problem and then send the letter. Once they receive the letter (which serves as official notification) Thor has one final attempt to correct the issues or buy the unit back less depreciation. Once Thor is officially notified it then becomes their problem.

Also, go to RV Service Reviews and post a review about the Camping World service department so that others using the service can be made aware of the issues.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:30 PM   #27

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Not much Thor can do about it. Its a game you have to play and it forces you to find a repair person you like and trust. I would never trust what a dealer said they fixed. Just my personal opinion.

If I were you I would look on google and see if there are any mobile tech guys.
So the only other option is (besides taking back to dealer) to have warranty issues repaired on your own and at your own cost?

I'm beginning to think that might be the way to go to avoid what sounds like a sure headache with ANY warranty issues!
Old 07-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #28

THOR #2005
We are currently experiencing a similar thing. Our 2016 Hurricane is at the dealer now - has been there 2 weeks today - for a few smaller issues. But the main/biggest problem is that the overhead bunk is not working properly. It is off its track or something and while we don't plan to use it, we are concerned that it will drop down while we are underway.

We made an appointment to bring the coach in for repairs and had it there at the appointed time.

We provided a list of things that needed fixing PRIOR to bringing it in.

We went over the list with the service writer at the service department.

She went through this exhaustive list of "how" they deal with warranty issues, saying they had to "take pictures" of all the things that need repairing and submit them to the company to determine who pays for what (dealer vs. manufacturer). Then parts would have to be ordered, and the work done. She said it would be a few days, and asked when we'd like to pick up the coach. We said as soon as possible.

We took the coach in on a Wednesday. The following Tuesday she phoned with a long-winded excuse as to why the coach had not even been looked at since we brought it in. They were "short handed," some other repairs took "longer than expected", so our "turn" got delayed...and on and on.

She then again went through the whole (irritating) process of how they have to approach the warranty work and even "blamed" us because we had such a long list of things to be fixed! She said our coach was on the schedule to be worked on (taking pictures, etc.) the next morning. When I asked when things might be completed, she could not provide any helpful info - and again went on and on about their "process."

So here it is now 2 weeks since we took the coach in, a week since we had contact, and we haven't heard a thing. I plan to call later today if we haven't heard from the dealer by early afternoon.

I've been reading many of the terrible experiences folks have been having with dealers/service departments, and I'm so sad to know there seems to be a pattern of not caring or a severe lack of efficiency on the part of the service departments. That's not very comforting at all.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #29

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
After 20 days, notify Thor in writing at the address provided in the warranty. This puts Thor on notice, gets them directly involved, and gives them one final attempt to get the repair corrected. When you send the written notice call Thor and let them know it's on the way. This way they know they have a problem.
Hello Dave,

Are you suggesting that Thor be notified for all warranty-related issues if we haven't had success in getting the RV repaired within 20 days - even if the dealer says they are just "behind" in their work?

I'm thinking perhaps I should think about doing that if we don't hear anything from the dealer today. Our coach has been at the dealer for 14 days as of today with warranty issues only.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #30
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec View Post
Hello Dave,

Are you suggesting that Thor be notified for all warranty-related issues if we haven't had success in getting the RV repaired within 20 days - even if the dealer says they are just "behind" in their work?

I'm thinking perhaps I should think about doing that if we don't hear anything from the dealer today. Our coach has been at the dealer for 14 days as of today with warranty issues only.
That is exactly what I am saying and that is what the Thor warranty states.

When you deliver the coach to the dealer for its scheduled appointment, the dealer and Thor are considered notified. The 21 day clock starts ticking at that time and dealer excuses do not stop the clock. If the dealer does not accomplish the repair in 20 days you notify Thor in writing and they then get one final attempt to make it right.

Now, this is not 20 cumulative days. This is 21 days per warranty appointment.

I suggest you read the section of the warranty titled "What We Will Do To Correct Problems"

Also keep in mind the time limit applies to repairs that you, not the dealer or Thor, believes substantially impairs the value, use or safety of your motorhome. You are in the driver's seat and whether or not you relinquish control is up to you.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #31

THOR #2005
Thank you so much! This is great info, and we will check it out for sure.

The only glitch right now is that our owner's manual, which I assume is where the warranty info is located, is in the coach, 90 miles away....hubby accidentally left it in there when we dropped off the RV.

If we must, we will drive to the dealer and get it out of the coach if we have to.

Thanks again for the really helpful info!
Old 07-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #32
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec View Post
Thank you so much! This is great info, and we will check it out for sure.

The only glitch right now is that our owner's manual, which I assume is where the warranty info is located, is in the coach, 90 miles away....hubby accidentally left it in there when we dropped off the RV.

If we must, we will drive to the dealer and get it out of the coach if we have to.

Thanks again for the really helpful info!
Why drive? That costs money. The electronic version of the manual can be downloaded in pdf form

Document Archive Thor Motor Coach

Happy reading.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-01-2015, 06:38 PM   #33

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:

Now, this is not 20 cumulative days. This is 21 days per warranty appointment.
Keep in mod that those are 21 business days, not calendar days. So that only applies if you are willing to leave your RV at the dealership and Thor's mercy for over a month.

I have never left any of my brand new motorhomes, (three so far), at the dealership for more than 24 total business hours. And I refuse to!

There is nothing in the Mitchell time and labor guide that takes a qualified mechanic more than 10 hours to accomplish, and that includes removing and replacing an entire drive train, (or in my case, a V10 engine in my Fleetwood Pace Arrow, a fiberglass rear cap on my Winnebago Vista, and the replacement of the entire overhead bunk Schwintek slide mechanism on my new Thor).

All other time is non-productive transactional communication. The time to conduct those transactions, (pictures, authorizations, shipping, telephone calls, and waiting), are performed on the dealership's time.

I take my motorhome and enjoy it until they contact me that they are ready to conduct some productive work! Then, and only then, do I bring in the coach. And I pick it up as soon as they wash and wax it, (I like the dealers that do this, so that's where I take my warranty work).
Old 07-01-2015, 07:11 PM   #34

THOR #2005
Quote:
Why drive? That costs money. The electronic version of the manual can be downloaded in pdf form

Document Archive Thor Motor Coach

Happy reading.
Thanks again! I realized that I had dowloaded a copy even before we took possession of the coach in May. The latest one available is for a 2015, and ours is a 2016 - but I can't imagine anything has changed.

I appreciate the help!
Old 07-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #35

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
Keep in mod that those are 21 business days, not calendar days. So that only applies if you are willing to leave your RV at the dealership and Thor's mercy for over a month.

I have never left any of my brand new motorhomes, (three so far), at the dealership for more than 24 total business hours. And I refuse to!

There is nothing in the Mitchell time and labor guide that takes a qualified mechanic more than 10 hours to accomplish, and that includes removing and replacing an entire drive train, (or in my case, a V10 engine in my Fleetwood Pace Arrow, a fiberglass rear cap on my Winnebago Vista, and the replacement of the entire overhead bunk Schwintek slide mechanism on my new Thor).

All other time is non-productive transactional communication. The time to conduct those transactions, (pictures, authorizations, shipping, telephone calls, and waiting), are performed on the dealership's time.

I take my motorhome and enjoy it until they contact me that they are ready to conduct some productive work! Then, and only then, do I bring in the coach. And I pick it up as soon as they wash and wax it, (I like the dealers that do this, so that's where I take my warranty work).
We were concerned that the overhead bunk would come crashing down on us while driving because due to the right side being off the track, we could not secure the pin on that side. It had been slipping down and we just didn't feel comfortable letting that go while on a trip.

The other "fixes" are all pretty minor, but we lumped them in as long as we had to have the work done. Looks like we are going to have to re-learn dealing with "service" departments!

Thanks for the comments!
Old 07-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #36
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:

The warranty specifically states "20 or more days". It dos not specify "business days" and since the business days for dealers vary during the course a week a business day requirement would not be considered by most a reasonable, especially since the argument can be made that a day a dealer is not open for warranty work is a day the coach s not available for use. Also, there is nothing in the warranty that prevents the dealer rom paying their technicians to work on the weekend or holidays.

Since the phrase "Business Days does not appear in any way shape o form in the warranty, it only applies if you allow the dealer and/or Thor to apply that logic.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #37

State: South Carolina
THOR #1836
Dropped ours off May 26th. They never looked at it until June 11th. It's now July 4th, haven't heard from them yet. Will be going to see them this coming July 7th, in hopes of finding SOMETHING out. We were suppose to use it June 12 for a trip to Pittsburgh, needless to say that didn't happen. Since we've owned our RV (12/19/2014) it's been in our possession no more than 4 weeks... w few days here...a few days there. Used it twice, major problems with the leveling system both trips. Hope it gets better.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:38 PM   #38

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
The warranty specifically states "20 or more days". It dos not specify "business days" and since the business days for dealers vary during the course a week a business day requirement would not be considered by most a reasonable, especially since the argument can be made that a day a dealer is not open for warranty work is a day the coach s not available for use. Also, there is nothing in the warranty that prevents the dealer rom paying their technicians to work on the weekend or holidays.

Since the phrase "Business Days does not appear in any way shape o form in the warranty, it only applies if you allow the dealer and/or Thor to apply that logic.
The term "business day" doesn't need to appear in the warranty statement. It's just standard commercial law 101. Any business will only be held legally accountable for the days that it conducts business, not calendar days.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:42 PM   #39
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
The term "business day" doesn't need to appear in the warranty statement. It's just standard commercial law 101. Any business will only be held legally accountable for the days that it conducts business, not calendar days.
The provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act apply.

Warranties must be in a single, clear and easy to read document.

Also, ambiguous terms go against the warrantor.

For example, an authorized service center listed on Thor's Website is "Camping World" The Camping World Service Department is not a separate business entity. Camping World is open for business 7 days a week. The business itself elects to close their service department 1 or 2 days a week.

In my case when I go to Thor's website and look for a service provider they return the dealer from which I purchased the RV and the central customer service info. They do not provide me with the service department's info. My dealer is open 7 days a week for sales and parts but the service department is closed on Sundays. Their business days are 7 per week and not 6.

Also, to meet the federal requirements if the warranty stated "business days" it would have to define business days as being either Thor's business days (Mon - Fri) or the dealers business days (Sun - Mon for sales or Mon - Sat for service, or in some cases Mon - Fri for service).

Also, when a warranty is written to cover a product for 90 days from date of purchase, the 90 days is not implied to mean 90 business days. In that case 90 days has always been interpreted and defined as 90 calendar days.

That is why the FTC has ruled in numerous cases that ambiguous terms must be clearly defined and when used ambiguous terms go against the warrantor.

Again, the warranty clearly states in easy to read language "20 days".
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #40

State: Texas
THOR #1214
I brought my 2015 Ace 27.1 in for the first time 5 weeks ago or so for warranty work. I told them I needed it back in 2 1/2 weeks. 2 weeks pass, I call, and they haven't looked at it yet. Tech was supposed to that day but left early. They call me 2 days later and say they need to order parts. One of those being the Axxera stereo which went out for no reason. They said parts could take a week or so. I went and picked up the rv. They had charged me almost $200 for an oil change and $70 to rinse the A/C air filter. (After they told me on the phone that it was a maintenance item)

I ordered the head unit on crutch field .com and had it 2 days later and replaced it myself. And here I am 5 weeks later now still waiting for parts to come in. Meanwhile, my water pump is now leaking. Ugh.