Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2021, 10:14 PM   #1

Brand: Entegra
Model: 2021 Emblem 36U
State: Virginia
THOR #21648
extended service plan for a Whirlpool residential RV

I wanted to get a service plan from Whirlpool for my residential fridge and they tell me that they will not cover any fridges in RV's

I read somewhere here that somebody was able to purchase a service plan but can't find it. I was hoping to get the replacement and removal of that fridge covered ( either slide or windshield needs to be removed - won't fit through door ) if a repair is not possible. Usually they will brake down earlier or later

Any advise ??

Old 04-05-2021, 11:04 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
The only way a Fridge Extended Warranty will cover the fridge is if it is out of the coach.... or possibly can be repaired in the coach.

I'm not sure if an extended RV warranty will cover an appliance like a fridge. If it does, then you would be covered for the labor to remove it from the coach and re-install.

I watched a video of someone removing their rear window to remove a bad fridge and replace it with a new model.

I'm not looking forward to the day I have to replace mine. I have found some replacement options that might fit through the entry door but getting the old one out is the problem. One guy on here said he will take a sawzall to it.... but that would be a heck of a mess.

I did see a video of a guy who had a Class C with a residential fridge and he removed the passenger side door... both captains seats and a bulk head and took it out the passenger side door opening. That looked like more work than removing the window.

I'm afraid I will be taking out the dinnette window when the time comes.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:00 AM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
We are on year 6 with ours and it is still working great and sure hope it does

However the Tuscany door is large enough to take a counter depth in and out

One of our many check boxes from years past experience

Many folks remove the windshield but that is not easy unless you have a broken one and can get some multi tasking down and have a large enough glass such as in a class A

i do not let ours run when stored to maximize the life on the unit however
Old 04-06-2021, 12:06 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
We are on year 6 with ours and it is still working great and sure hope it does

However the Tuscany door is large enough to take a counter depth in and out

One of our many check boxes from years past experience

Many folks remove the windshield but that is not easy unless you have a broken one and can get some multi tasking down and have a large enough glass such as in a class A

i do not let ours run when stored to maximize the life on the unit however
That has been said to shorten the fridge life; both on absorption and residential fridges.

Our current home fridge has run continuously for 22 years and still works as well as when it was new. There are fridges that are approaching 70 to 80 years old that are still running.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:42 AM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
My coach is stored in the north during winter. I turn my fridge off because because temps will be well below 32 in the winter. Manufacturers tell you not to install and run fridges where temps fall below 50. The compressor will not run as temps fall into the 40's.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:22 AM   #6

Model: XG 32 Omni
THOR #4243
Take a Sawzall to the fridge,it will fit through the door, then find a new one that fits through the door. Will it be messy removing the old one? YES, better than taking your coach apart to get the old one out.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:36 AM   #7

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Texas
THOR #218
I know this doesn't address your question, but I wanted to relate our experience with refrigerator repair/replacement coverage. Our compressor went out on our Whirlpool residential. I contacted our RV extended warranty provider, and they would not pay to replace the refrigerator. It would require the removal of a window over our dinette plus the cost of the refrigerator. They did, however, cover the cost of replacing the compressor while inside the MH. I worked with a local appliance repair company and they worked with the warranty company. When all was done, the cost to replace the compressor was roughly twice the cost of a new, replacement refrigerator. It all worked out. Just food for thought. I think a lot depends on the coverage offered by the particular warranty company. Definitely a critical question when screening different providers.
5 Star Tuner, Blue Ox, Towtector
PMSPKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:06 PM   #8

Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
State: New York
THOR #17969
See if you local fire company can compact it with their Jaws of life. For a donation they might try for you! Little less messy than saw shards.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:22 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The whirlpool residential refrigerator in our Challenger was still going strong after 5 years of constant use and remain power on, except ice maker, during winter storage when the coach was plugged into shore power at the house.

Check the measurements of the fridge with the doors removed. Some will fit through the RV doorway or emergency exit window sideways if the doors are removed.

Also, if the fridge has to be replaced and doesn't fit a saws-all works wonders to get things to the correct size. Might have to get a more compact replacement but it can be done.

On the personal side, if the rig were over 6 years old and the fridge had to be replaced I would consider finding a custom shop to do a kitchen renovation.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:07 PM   #10

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That has been said to shorten the fridge life; both on absorption and residential fridges.

Our current home fridge has run continuously for 22 years and still works as well as when it was new. There are fridges that are approaching 70 to 80 years old that are still running.
I have had it go both ways in my experience

We have an old GE fridge with the compressor on top sticking up like a big knot, it is going on 60+ years

On the other side we have had a couple newer units fail over the years that were in the 7-10 year range

Old Servel units ran for years and weighed a ton

New units who knows

When the delivery guys brought out new Samsung 29 ft they picked up the old Whirlpool gold that was still going since 90. Ice maker still worked as well

They said the newer ones were lasting about 7-8 years prior to needing some kind of service or parts replacement

In our vacation property we always left them running and again over many years had a couple fail so again it is simply perhaps luck and timing