Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2019, 01:15 PM   #1
JMF

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta SJ
State: North Carolina
THOR #16303
Unhappy Can’t find antenna for Satellite radio

2019 Thor Siesta 24SJ w/Fusion Infotainment Radio

I have been trying to get Sirius to work on my radio. I was getting no errors but no signal. After resetting the radio as directed by Fusion, I got an error that my antenna was not connected and I confirmed that after I found the external Sirius module under my dash. Thor seems to have no clue where the antenna is and last told me and my authorized warranty service shop that it was under the dash. That is an obviously wrong answer since a satellite antenna wouldn’t work there. I read the antenna should be mounted on the roof but I found no antenna except my FM antenna above the driver on the house. I also looked on the dash even though Sirius says not to mount one there with no luck.
Does anyone have a working Sirius radio, and if so where is the antenna? Or is the manufacturer not installing them at all? My service dealer is stumped an not sure what to do.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:56 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
I went through the same thing with mine has a jenson with sat and gps and neither get a signal so I pulled my radio out of the dash and the sat and gps ports didnt have anything plugged into them so since I couldnt find a plug or antenna that it doesnt have them installed,I have a 2014 Thor Tuscanny.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:56 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Exclamation

The Axxera radio in my 2019 Thor has a setting for Sirius/XM. But on researching it, I would need to add a tuner and an antenna then activate it through Sirius/XM. I haven't bothered to do it yet. Tuner/antenna kit is available at Amazon, fairly cheap.

https://smile.amazon.com/SiriusXM-SX...6029299&sr=8-3
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:35 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
When I bought the Accolade there was no mention of Sirius/XM on any sales literature. It turns out, however, that Jayco installed a Sirius Tuner in the coach and that package came with a three month subscription. Chances are if you got a trial subscription you have the tuner and antenna if you didn't get the trial subscription then you don't have the tuner or antenna. Just because the radio is Sirius Ready doesn't mean it is Sirius configured.

BTW, I believe my antenna is on the roof of the coach. Next time I do a drone flyover of the coach to inspect the roof I'll check it out.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #5
JMF

THOR #16303
It has the Sirius tuner, just no antenna connected. It works because I attached an extra antenna and got receception. This RV is still well under warranty. My service shop doesn’t know where to start because Thor was no help and told them antenna was under dash (very unlikely and dealer won’t tear dash up to look).
Old 12-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #6

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Satellite Radio

I bought a Sirius Stratus 7 and installed the antenna on the dash with Velcro and the radio works very good every other place other than Alaska. The unit itself is very small and you can make a deal with them for short periods of service. The antenna itself is magnetic and my roof is fiberglass, there are kits
to attach the antenna to a side mirror but as I said it works where it is on the dash, I had to more it around to get the best signal before I fastened the Velcro
It has not moved since I Installed it. This may be an option for people who want Sirius radlo.
Coveman2
Old 12-13-2019, 04:57 AM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMF View Post
It has the Sirius tuner, just no antenna connected. It works because I attached an extra antenna and got receception. This RV is still well under warranty. My service shop doesn’t know where to start because Thor was no help and told them antenna was under dash (very unlikely and dealer won’t tear dash up to look).

What sort of extra antenna did you attach and what did you connect it to? If your radio has a Sirius/XM tuner already installed, you would have a SAT ANT port on the back of the head unit. Absent a tuner, you’ll need to buy one and it will plug into the back of the head unit. The antenna must be one tuned to the Sirius/XM satellite and it plugs into the tuner.

The tuner and antenna can be bought for about $60 from Amazon. An antenna alone is less than $20.

I have a Jensen JRV215N which came Sirius/XM ready with an icon on the touch screen but no service. I added a tuner, an antenna, and bought a subscription which activated the service.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:25 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 22HEF
State: Colorado
THOR #16189
sirius

I have sirius on my Axerra console but does not work. we found an unconnected wire coming out behind glove box. it says "radio". does any one have any idea about this?
Old 01-25-2021, 04:53 PM   #9
JMF

THOR #16303
It has the Sirius module but the antenna was not attached. My Thor service center installed a new antenna under warranty. Later, I found the original antenna wiring it was in the jack compartment coiled up. Anyway we mounted the antenna inside the cabover nose directly under the fiberglass roof and attached with VHB tape ran the wires down the B pillar on the passenger side. All is good.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:54 PM   #10

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
If your tuner is similar to the one I had to install the pic shows antenna plugging into the tuner. If you found the tuner, hooked directly to radio, you should find a plug or a wire already plugged in. If nothing plugged in, no antenna. If there, follow wire to antenna. I had to install all on my 14 Hurricane. Radio was also Sirius ready but no tuner or antenna.
Like others have said, you can buy kit or antenna at multiple places. Hope this helps, Dennis.

Well, one minute too late!!! Glad you got it sorted.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Antenna connect 012521.pdf (194.7 KB, 100 views)
Old 01-25-2021, 06:34 PM   #11

THOR #16189
thanks. if you can make this out this is all behind glove box. is that wire supposed to be attached to back of radio? Judy

Click image for larger version

Name:	radio.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	28241

Name:	radio wire.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	28242
Old 01-25-2021, 08:28 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 35m
THOR #13505
That's mine in red circle on Hurricane!

We got to know each other when I had to replace jacked up Winegard install Thor did!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	satantenna.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	28243  
Old 01-25-2021, 11:13 PM   #13

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
I decided not to try and run the ant for the satellite radio, instead I downloaded the app on my phone and Bluetooth my phone to stereo and works perfectly, and I can use it in other vehicles as well and only get one bill.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:28 PM   #14

THOR #16189
we use bluetooth too, but only when we are in an RV park that allows WIFI streaming. Mostly we camp in State Parks or boondock in the National Forest with no cell service.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:31 AM   #15

THOR #16189
sirius tuner

I just had to come back and show you all this..... I kept fiddling around trying to find out why I had a loose wire that said "radio" behind the dash. While fiddling I kept hitting some sort of loose box but had to work hard to get a view. check it out. plugged the wire in and now it all works

Name:	sirius tuner.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	28321
Old 01-30-2021, 05:02 AM   #16

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatandJudy View Post
I just had to come back and show you all this..... I kept fiddling around trying to find out why I had a loose wire that said "radio" behind the dash. While fiddling I kept hitting some sort of loose box but had to work hard to get a view. check it out. plugged the wire in and now it all works

Attachment 28321

So there ya go! Well done!

Tags
siesta, siriusxm