Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2019, 12:37 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Issue tripping GFCI

I have an electrical outlet that trips the GFCI. The GVCI is in the front powder room and all other outlets on the circuit work just fine. When we plug a device in the last outlet on the circuit AND then turn on the device the GFCI will trip. The GFCI only trips when the device is turned on. We have the unit at a service center and they "claim" that the outlet has been replaced but it still trips. Any ideas what could be causing this? Seems to me it has to be in the outlet. Seems that if it was in the wire it would always be shorted and would always trip the GFCI or breaker. I'm not sure how GFCI outlets work so hoping someone here can help.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:47 AM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
you actually may have a loose wire behind one of the outlets in the circuit, possibly the one just 'north' of the one you are plugging into... a slight arc from a loose wire is an easy way to trip a GFCI breaker or outlet.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:48 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Question

Are you always plugging the same device into that outlet, or does it trip when any device is plugged in ? The fact that it doesn't trip until the device is turned on would seem to indicate a fault in the device(s) rather than the outlet or wiring. Just a guess on my part....
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:11 AM   #4

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
Are you always plugging the same device into that outlet, or does it trip when any device is plugged in ? The fact that it doesn't trip until the device is turned on would seem to indicate a fault in the device(s) rather than the outlet or wiring. Just a guess on my part....
It trips when any device is plugged in. We can plug that same device into the outlet that is upstream and the device works and the GFCI does not trip. Any device we plug in to the last outlet trips it. We ruled out the device first thing. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:13 AM   #5

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
you actually may have a loose wire behind one of the outlets in the circuit, possibly the one just 'north' of the one you are plugging into... a slight arc from a loose wire is an easy way to trip a GFCI breaker or outlet.
The MH is at a servicing dealer right now for a big list of warranty work (including this issue). I'll see what they say when they call tomorrow and if they haven't got it fixed yet I'll suggest this. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:26 AM   #6

THOR #14380
If you have replaced the GFCI device and you still have this problem then you have to assume the GFCI is doing its job. A Ground Fault Circuit Interupter will open the circuit if there is a ground fault, even a tiny current leakage.

You say it is the last outlet in the circuit that has the problem, and only when some device is plugged in and turned on, right? So, you have a wiring fault or a short to ground in the wire between the last outlet and the next to last outlet. Most likely it is the neutral wire (white) that is damaged. I have had this problem before. If this is a fairly new rig these problems can show up in a year or two, but are actually manufacturing defects. In my case, a screw had been run right thru a wire going to the refrigerator power. It took a while to find it. Could be easier to run a whole new wire. A good electrician will find this quickly,. Good luck, Jim
Old 03-06-2019, 10:05 PM   #7

THOR #2020
Got the MH back this morning. They said the faulty outlet was miswired at the factory. Finally got it back. They have had it since November. Sounds like a long time but we told them we didn’t need it until March. Most of that time was working on the leak. Then a long list of issues. This place has done a great job for us. St. Louis RV. STLRV.NET
Old 03-06-2019, 10:46 PM   #8

THOR #14380
Glad they found it. So, your ground wire on the last outlet was connected to the neutral. Green went to the place where the white wire should have been. Hmmm. These kinds of electrical mis-assembly should not happen at all, they are just too stupid. I have had my share of these, and really it gives me no confidence in the electrical systems in these rigs. To top it off, there is no electrical manual or diagrams that come with the rig, you have to get all that info on your own effort. Imagine if cars were made like this??

Jim