Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-10-2021, 10:52 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32
State: Alabama
Posts: 142
THOR #22586
F-550 wheels and TPMS

The Omni with the F-550 chassis has a tire pressure monitoring according to the owner's manual but I can't find it on any of the dash or radio/media screen pages. I also didn't see the TPMS icon when turning on the ignition, but things go out fast. I'm getting the RVi toad brake with 10 sensor TPMS add-on but I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to get it on. The outer valve stems curve inward I suppose to keep them out of harms way but that's going to make sensor installation rather difficult if not impossible.

First does the chassis even have a Ford TPMS and if so is the inner part of that sensor made in such way that the valve stem can't be rotated? What have others done to get the coach TPMS sensors with an aftermarket system. The sensors are not here yet so don't know how big they are. Reviews say they are bigger, but lighter than a TST or EEZtire sensor.

__________________
2021 Thor Omni XG32
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie (toad to be)
2019 Harley Davidson FLHTC
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:28 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Popfla's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Florida
Posts: 618
THOR #14543
Exclamation

What does the F550 owners manual say about the TPMS? If the dashboard is digital, you may have to scroll through a menu to find it. For example, on my Jeep, I press the "down" arrow on the steering wheel and the TPMS pops up in the middle of the dash. Press the "up" arrow and it reverts to the digital speedometer.
__________________
Ed
2019 Thor Freedom Elite 30FE w/2020 Jeep Gladiator Toad
Living The Dream in "God's Waiting Room"
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:38 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32
State: Alabama
Posts: 142
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
What does the F550 owners manual say about the TPMS? If the dashboard is digital, you may have to scroll through a menu to find it. For example, on my Jeep, I press the "down" arrow on the steering wheel and the TPMS pops up in the middle of the dash. Press the "up" arrow and it reverts to the digital speedometer.
Owner's manual info leaves a lot to be desired. Previous vehicles I've had the TPMS was accessed with the steering wheel controls but it's not findable by me on this one. On Gfs 2021 Escape, a Ford product, it's pretty straightforward. Same with my Ram but of course different manufacturer. The owner's manual is for super duty trucks so that's F-250 and up. Not any specific info relating to the 550. A discussion on another forum, IRV2 seems to say no TPMS.
__________________
2021 Thor Omni XG32
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie (toad to be)
2019 Harley Davidson FLHTC
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:29 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni SV34
State: Colorado
Posts: 17
THOR #22921
I believe that the TPMS on the Ford F550 is only an alert (warning) system, not a real-time digital readout. I handled the duals on my Omni with a Crossfire Dual Tire Equalization System combining both valves into one that my TireMinder sensors fit on.
__________________
cupajoe147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:29 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 2,105
THOR #12751
The Owners Manual for the Super Duty (like any vehicle for that matter) covers multiple models with multiple options. Not everything in the Owners Manual applies to a specific model. The Super Duty Owners Manual covers F-250, F-350, F-450 and F-550.

The Ford Super Duty Series only has a TPMS available for the F-350 in the Lariat Package for Fleets in the Single Rear Wheel configuration only. So the F-550 has no TMPS even though you see it in the manual.

I also went with the Crossfire Dually System with the TPMS option for my EEZ Tire TMPS System. Besides keeping the pressure balanced in the rear tires one advantage is one single inflation point for both tires.
__________________
Judge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:37 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32
State: Alabama
Posts: 142
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The Owners Manual for the Super Duty (like any vehicle for that matter) covers multiple models with multiple options. Not everything in the Owners Manual applies to a specific model. The Super Duty Owners Manual covers F-250, F-350, F-450 and F-550.

The Ford Super Duty Series only has a TPMS available for the F-350 in the Lariat Package for Fleets in the Single Rear Wheel configuration only. So the F-550 has no TMPS even though you see it in the manual.

I also went with the Crossfire Dually System with the TPMS option for my EEZ Tire TMPS System. Besides keeping the pressure balanced in the rear tires one advantage is one single inflation point for both tires.
When using the crossfire, if you have a tire go down does the check valve catch it before it would alert the TPMS? Would you only know it by seeing an indication when stopped? Obviously my knowledge of the system is limited but I do understand it balances the pressure between the 2 and the advantage of a single point for adjusting. Was there a particular model that of the crossfire that you and others can recommend? Since I am setting up "systems" I might as well get it all right the first time rather than piece-meal the improvements. From a logistical point did you have to remove the wheels to install or could you manage with them on?
__________________
2021 Thor Omni XG32
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie (toad to be)
2019 Harley Davidson FLHTC
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:59 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 2,105
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
When using the crossfire, if you have a tire go down does the check valve catch it before it would alert the TPMS? Would you only know it by seeing an indication when stopped? Obviously my knowledge of the system is limited but I do understand it balances the pressure between the 2 and the advantage of a single point for adjusting. Was there a particular model that of the crossfire that you and others can recommend? Since I am setting up "systems" I might as well get it all right the first time rather than piece-meal the improvements. From a logistical point did you have to remove the wheels to install or could you manage with them on?
The Crossfire system monitors pressure in both tires and if there is a loss if pressure in one tire, the valve closes to isolate the pressure in the "good" tire. My guess is the valve will close before you get the TMPS alert because there will be a slight lag in time for the TPMS to register the pressure change and trip the alert.

This is the system I purchased so I could use my existing TPMS...

https://truckpartsworld.net/product/...rts-duplicate/

You could remove the stock valve stem extenders and install the Crossfire without removing the wheels if you have a long enough open-end wrench (I bought an 18" one to carrey just in case I ever have to tighten and remove the hose on the road). However, I had to remove the lug nuts and rotate the outer tire to get the hoses and valve to align the best way for mounting.

It was pretty easy..... I just raised the coach in my pole building so the back tires were barely off the ground. Then I removed the lug nuts and just rotated the outer wheel on the hub without having to remove it completely. I then had a little more room to reach the back valve stem and install that stainless steel hose and tighten it properly. Then I rotated the outer wheel so the valve stems were 180 degrees apart and completed the installation.

I think I have some pictures posted in another thread of my install.

I also ditched the Ford stock center hub caps because they are a major pain in the *$! to remove and they end up getting all scratched up in the process. I had to actually rig up a method to remove them based on everything I read on the Ford Forums.

I purchased this kit but only installed the rear because my F-550 has the manual locking hubs so I left the stock front center caps since they had the opening to reach the hubs in the unlikely event I needed to be in 4x4.

https://www.raneystruckparts.com/19-...eel-trim-kits/

The kit looks great and the center cap is breeze to install and remove and the stainless lug nut covers are very nice.
__________________
Judge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:42 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni SV34
State: Colorado
Posts: 17
THOR #22921
I followed Judge’s prescription on the Crossfire installation & hub cover change. Only one lug nut was removed & replaced to anchor the Crossfire bracket. My son-in-law who is young, somewhat acrobatic and very handy was able to make all the connections without removing all lug nuts & rotating the outer wheels. TPMS sensor on the single “combined and balanced” valve functions as expected. Highly recommend this upgrade!
__________________
cupajoe147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:46 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32
State: Alabama
Posts: 142
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The Crossfire system
https://www.raneystruckparts.com/19-...eel-trim-kits/

The kit looks great and the center cap is breeze to install and remove and the stainless lug nut covers are very nice.
Judge do you have a picture of the finished product both the crossfire and new center caps? Thanks
__________________
2021 Thor Omni XG32
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie (toad to be)
2019 Harley Davidson FLHTC
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:50 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 2,105
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Judge do you have a picture of the finished product both the crossfire and new center caps? Thanks
Here you go.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 6.49.31 AM.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	31317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 6.49.41 AM.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	31318  

__________________
Judge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:38 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32
State: Alabama
Posts: 142
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Here you go.......
Thanks looks good but they are proud of that hub cover kit. The Thor ones are rather "over the top bulky" on par with the front bumper.

EDIT going to bug you also on the crossfire. I understand the principal but confused how this one works with the TPMS. I looked over their site and the product and no installation instructions and on your pictures can't see any sensors. I am guessing the sensors are possibly somewhere between the dually tires but having trouble visualizing. I first thought that you might use one sensor for a dual tire position but that's not a god idea because an individual tire is unmonitored. Where are the sensors??
__________________
2021 Thor Omni XG32
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie (toad to be)
2019 Harley Davidson FLHTC
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:17 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32
State: Alabama
Posts: 142
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Thanks looks good but they are proud of that hub cover kit. The Thor ones are rather "over the top bulky" on par with the front bumper.

EDIT going to bug you also on the crossfire. I understand the principal but confused how this one works with the TPMS. I looked over their site and the product and no installation instructions and on your pictures can't see any sensors. I am guessing the sensors are possibly somewhere between the dually tires but having trouble visualizing. I first thought that you might use one sensor for a dual tire position but that's not a god idea because an individual tire is unmonitored. Where are the sensors??
I think I spotted them what I thought were shadows. If I'm correct, you replace the regular hoses with the TPMS hoses and now have 2 TPMS ports before the equalizing valve.
__________________
2021 Thor Omni XG32
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie (toad to be)
2019 Harley Davidson FLHTC
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:24 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 2,105
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Thanks looks good but they are proud of that hub cover kit. The Thor ones are rather "over the top bulky" on par with the front bumper.

EDIT going to bug you also on the crossfire. I understand the principal but confused how this one works with the TPMS. I looked over their site and the product and no installation instructions and on your pictures can't see any sensors. I am guessing the sensors are possibly somewhere between the dually tires but having trouble visualizing. I first thought that you might use one sensor for a dual tire position but that's not a god idea because an individual tire is unmonitored. Where are the sensors??
The Crossfire without the TMPS option just have the ends of the stainless steel hose fro each wheel connect into the monitoring valve where the valve stem is located.

When you order the TMPS Option, there is an additional vlave stem off the end of each stainless hose to install the TMPS sensor before it connects to the monitoring valave. It works just fine. Here are some up close pics of mine sensors (black).


Also..... the center caps are stock Ford F-550 and not Thor. They cost between $60 - $75 each from Ford and they are plastic. They fasten so tightely to the lug nuts with spring steel connectors that they are almost impossible to get off without damaging them based on how they are designed. I was happy to replace them with steel center caps and stianless steel lig nut covers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0475.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	31320   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0476.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	31321  

__________________
Judge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 02:32 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 2,105
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I think I spotted them what I thought were shadows. If I'm correct, you replace the regular hoses with the TPMS hoses and now have 2 TPMS ports before the equalizing valve.


You are correct sir!

Even if you don't install the TPMS option, you use Crossfires hoses. Much better than the stock ones or anything you can buy elsewhere.
__________________
Judge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 02:46 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32
State: Alabama
Posts: 142
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
You are correct sir!

Even if you don't install the TPMS option, you use Crossfires hoses. Much better than the stock ones or anything you can buy elsewhere.
Another question is wheel balancing. On my Itasca DP I went with Centramatic and was happy with that solution. The crossfire is a lot of mass that needs to be compensated for I would imagine.
__________________
2021 Thor Omni XG32
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie (toad to be)
2019 Harley Davidson FLHTC
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 02:49 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,975
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
You are correct sir!



Even if you don't install the TPMS option, you use Crossfires hoses. Much better than the stock ones or anything you can buy elsewhere.
1 tpms per 2 tires correct??

Jerry
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:20 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 2,105
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
1 tpms per 2 tires correct??

Jerry
Actually.... each tire still has its own TPMS.
__________________
Judge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 2,105
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Another question is wheel balancing. On my Itasca DP I went with Centramatic and was happy with that solution. The crossfire is a lot of mass that needs to be compensated for I would imagine.
I'v had zero issue with tire balance. The valve is actually close enough to the hub so it really causes no balance issues.
__________________
Judge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:48 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni SV34
State: Colorado
Posts: 17
THOR #22921
I use the Crossfire version with a single valve for measuring/filling both inner & outer tires at the same time. I use one TPMS sensor on this valve to get the “balanced” real-time pressure reading.
__________________
cupajoe147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:30 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 2,105
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupajoe147 View Post
I use the Crossfire version with a single valve for measuring/filling both inner & outer tires at the same time. I use one TPMS sensor on this valve to get the “balanced” real-time pressure reading.

I don't like that approach...... for the following reasons.

1. If you have a large enough leak in one of the tires, you won't know which one is going down. I think the balancing valve closes at a 10PSI delta.

2. You have one tire lose most of its air and your TMPS alarm may not trip. I am not sure if the check valve closes whether there will still be pressure from the good tire at the valve stem.

3. You can't monitor the pressure in both tires to make sure the Crossfire is working properly.

4. You can't monitor the temperature of each tire in case one is overheating and possibly close to a failure.

It was worth it to me to purchase the Crossfire with the TPMS option so I could still monitor the pressure and temperatures of all 6 tires.
__________________
Judge is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2