Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2017, 12:37 AM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
Do you know where that leak point is?????
No I don't but I still have the camper here (arrived home too late to put it in storage) so I'll take a look tomorrow in the daylight; maybe I can grab a pic of what he did in the wheel well.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:40 AM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Glad you got it back. If you see something different in the wheel well take a picture and I will review mine with the mechanic on the 3rd when I have them work on my "stinking" heater problem.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:21 PM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
It looks like he took the spray foam and filled in right along the edge where the side body meets the top of the wheel well:

The bright white at left is looking out the wheel well. Well he could have done a nicer job LOL but given that its hard to even look up here he probably figured who would see it. The foam only goes from the middle top of the wheel towards the rear for about 8-12" or so.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:26 PM   #24

Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
J,

Thanks for chronicling your experience with factory service.

Great news that everything worked out...now get back to more tinkering so some of us can steal your ideas
Old 02-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #25
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs
Great news that everything worked out...now get back to more tinkering so some of us can steal your ideas
LOL! Actually have been following the Sumo Springs thread with considerable interest...that may be our next mod.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #26

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Jamie -- glad you are back in the saddle. Sounds like they did a good job sealing up the cap and walls. Do you think black FlexSeal would work on the seam in the wheel well that you posted?
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker
Do you think black FlexSeal would work on the seam in the wheel well that you posted?
Yeah it would but I'd be concerned about any getting on the outside of the coach. Using FS you could probably coat the entire inside of the wheel well--that might reduce some road noise as well. As long as you're doing that, grab a 2nd can and do the rear wheel wells too! LOL

(Cars do something similar: spraying a sealant all around the wheel wells.)
Old 02-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #28
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Update

Mother Nature was kind enough to provide a leak test last night and oooh boy what a leak test it was: severe storms with 70 mph wind gusts from the southwest with hail. This meant that the rain was being driven directly into the passenger front window.

The result: It leaked! LOL Checking in on the unit this morning (hugging the camper--it needed it!) I found a drop of water below the window on the inside wall. Further inspection revealed the bottom back of the window frame was wet and the carpet below was also damp.

This leak, however, is significantly different from the one we took into service: The reason we took it into service was that the leak was leaking into the wall. In this instance it appears that the channel that the sliding window sits in simply overflowed at the back into the coach as I could find no indications that the leak was in the wall (since I already know what the wall feels like when there is water in it ).

Of course I'll be keeping my eye on it (as I would have anyway); perhaps I can fix this one with some strategic weather stripping placement.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #29

Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Jamie -- glad you are back in the saddle. Sounds like they did a good job sealing up the cap and walls. Do you think black FlexSeal would work on the seam in the wheel well that you posted?
Ed,

Have you used FlexSeal in the past? Does this stuff work?

I always wondered about this product...too good to be true

I would like to order a couple of cans to spray some parts of the rig.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #30

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
[QUOTE=JamieGeek;57092]In a couple of weeks I'll be taking our Axis to the Thor Factory service center in Wakarusa, IN. I figured I'd start this thread to chronicle my experiences.

Given that I don't know what the weather holds for the next two weeks, and that we have a nice and sunny day with very little wind I figured I'd take the cover off. This turned out to be a little harder than I thought with about 3" of snow and ice on it (this past week we've had about 2-3" of flurries).

Doesn't look like I've done much damage to either the Axis or the cover--other than the radio antenna broke (not sure if the snow/ice on the cover did that or my act of removing the cover did that).

The reason I made the factory service appointment: We've had a slow leak below the passenger window--slow enough that we didn't even notice it the first season. Unfortunately after our first freeze this year a section of the wall below the window swelled up as the water in there froze. Thus off to factory service to see what they can do about all that....

For my trip there I'm not planning on dewinterizing the coach: I'm bringing some extra gallons of antifreeze to flush the toilet with and will use bottled water. Also bringing "simple food" that won't dirty the place up too much. Hopefully I'll only be there a day, or two.[/QUOTrE]
I thought I was the only one having a problem with Windows leaking I have an appointment at Camping World get the window behind the driver seat fixed where it's been leaking
Old 02-26-2017, 02:04 PM   #31
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs
Ed,

Have you used FlexSeal in the past? Does this stuff work?

I always wondered about this product...too good to be true

I would like to order a couple of cans to spray some parts of the rig.
Yup works like a champ: I cut the screen door in half and sealed it up with no issues, next I shot a cannonball through the camper and sealed that up...erm um...sorry seen too many commericals

In reality: Yes flex seal works pretty good. I purchased a can and did some test spraying before I sealed up my taillights with it. For details on that look here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...axis-1433.html
You don't have to order a can: I got my can from Lowes.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:07 AM   #32

State: Alabama
THOR #4160
I just spent a week at the service center for my first warranty repair. Is all I can say is that these guys are amazing. They are professional and extremely quick. I would give them my coach at 7:00am and pick it back up at 3:00pm. In the morning I would get a brief of what they are going to work on and at the end of the day they ran through everything that was fixed. Honestly, I didn't have too many issues and some of them could even be attributed to owner (user) error which they fixed for me anyway and then educated me. From now on I will be returning here for service even out of warranty so that I know it gets fixed the first time correctly.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:26 AM   #33

Model: Axis
State: Florida
THOR #3501
Hey JamieGeek! I'm finally visiting the forums, and, wouldn't you know it, your thread is the one I needed for my most recent issue. Posted some pics on Facebook, but thought I'd check in with you here - any chance you got a look at the walls during servicing? I've removed the vinyl from both of mine, and there is extensive water damage, but I can't tell if it's coming from the top or the bottom. (I'll start a new thread on here with pictures, and keep it updated to help anyone else in the same predicament).

Glad you had a good experience with the Factory Service folks. My week there last October far exceeded any expectations I had, and I sure would love to have them look at the coach now. If only they did "next day" appointments!!
Old 04-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #34
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48in366
Hey JamieGeek! I'm finally visiting the forums, and, wouldn't you know it, your thread is the one I needed for my most recent issue. Posted some pics on Facebook, but thought I'd check in with you here - any chance you got a look at the walls during servicing? I've removed the vinyl from both of mine, and there is extensive water damage, but I can't tell if it's coming from the top or the bottom. (I'll start a new thread on here with pictures, and keep it updated to help anyone else in the same predicament).

Glad you had a good experience with the Factory Service folks. My week there last October far exceeded any expectations I had, and I sure would love to have them look at the coach now. If only they did "next day" appointments!!
Welcome, back, but for the wrong reason...

Nope I didn't see it during the repair (Since I couldn't stay in it overnight I left it there and drove home until it was fixed). I would have loved to see it all disassembled (I bet that when they gave me the estimate that I could have asked them: "Can you show me what you're going to do" that they'd say "yeah sure come and look").

They did say that inside our walls was just wet; there was no rot so all they had to do was dry them out--your leaks look far worse than the one we had. This was why we couldn't stay in it: The left it all open overnight with a fan on it to dry it out.

Still leaks, though, just looks like not into the walls but into the RV. Going to take the trim ring off the window to see where the latest leak is coming from next weekend.