Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 27 ft ACE
State: California
THOR #1318
Faded gelcoat

I have a 2013 27 ft ACE that has a problem of the gel coat fading over the front window. It is the off grey color that a number of coaches are now made with. I have been told that they can buff most of it out with polishing compound. Have others had the same problem and is there a cure for this

Old 11-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Some colors of gel coat tend to fade more (or quicker) than others. From the boating perspective at least, red is really bad fade-wise, which is why you don't see too many red boats.

Basically the gel coat begins to chalk, and while waxing will also correct the problem, it is really only temporary as it will go back to fading as soon as the wax dissipates.

Buffing will help too, but again - it's just temporary.

The thing that puzzles me though is that you should not be having these issues on a relatively new coach. But gel coat gets damaged by UV, perhaps California + Thor means premature gel coat fading... I don't know.

The most longevity you can get I think is if you apply a product called PolyGlow - which is not inexpensive, but at least the gel coat should not show any fading for a year or two.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:14 AM   #3

State: Delaware
THOR #1273
I bought an older fiberglass boat several years ago that had a hull that had yellowed to a beige color, it was origionally white. I used a Meguiars fiberglass restoration system kit on it, and the results are amazing. The boat ended up looking brand new. The kit says that it is for rv's also. I also used an electric buffer to apply and remove all three steps. This may be worth a try.

John
Old 11-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I suspect there's a problem

My coach is also a 2013
also grey, mine is what they called "saphire HD max"
and is also faded around the top of the overcab area where the angle rolls past vertical.
This gel coat is a discontinued color for Thor

My coach is new, and I bought it in June as a '13 leftover. It sat on the dealers lot for about a year.... I actually feel ripped off because the dealer very skillfully hid this fading with the use of some sort of protectant or wax..... it was not visible when i did my PDI
Over the period of a month or so, and through a few rains, it became more an more apparent.

Anyway, fast forward to this week.
The coach is in the shop and they are replacing my back wall.
I just learned that the gel coat color is discontinued, so they provided a white wall and the dealership is painting to "match"
Now I feel doubly ripped off.

As part of the warranty repair, i asked for this fading in the front to be addressed. i still have not been told what they are doing to address it. I suspect a fresh coat of 303 or wax. I'll find out soon
Old 11-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #5

THOR #1318
Hi I just got back from a campout in Indio, Ca and while I was there a mobile detailer came out and polished and detailed the coach. I turned out perfect so I am very happy I would think that he prob used a polishing compound. I was very worried that it would be permanent
Old 11-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #6

THOR #908
Yeah, i just found out today that the "fix" my dealer is using for the warranty "repair" is buffing.
The problem with it as I see it.... not really a fix. Seems like the stuff isn't holding up like it should. Temporary relief from the wax..... but only temporary. Oh Well, It's what i expected.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
I know I made the statement that buffing may not be permanent, but I retract that statement a bit, as I forgot something.

I remember visiting the Four Winns (not Four Winds) boat plant a few years ago, and they had to buff out defects from the gel coat due to molding imperfections.

I was surprised that they had to sand the area with sandpaper to remove the molding defects, then when they buffed it out, it looked fine.

I think the real issue though is if the gel coat is faded, it's UV damaged, so they have to remove the faded areas, which I suppose a skilled fiberglass worker can do with a buffer.

If properly buffed out, you guys might not have problems for a few years anyway.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #8

THOR #908
Hopefully so!!!!

Regardless, if i weren't chasing a deal and if I would have had my choice, I would have picked plain white.... cheaper and better all around, IMO
Old 11-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Yea. Those gelcoat colors look nice, but white hides so many surface defects, and can be easier to keep clean.

If you are buying a mass-produced fiberglass product, whether it be a RV, boat, or whatever, white hides those manufacturing defects all the more.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #10

THOR #908
and reflects solar radiation!
I actually even think it looks better. Simple plain and clean
Old 09-13-2015, 04:06 PM   #11

THOR #1318
Gel Coat issues

I have had nothing but problems with the side of my ACE 27 ft MH. The side that hits the sun during most of the day shows dark "tan" lines where the aluminum frames are at appear darker (more similar to original color). I have detailed it professionally 2 to 3 times a year and while it does bring out most of the color and shine it only lasts for a few weeks and the lines appear again. I have talked to Thor and they say it is a problem with the Crane company that does the Gel Coat and they just send me a copy of their letter showing proper care and maintenance of Gel Coat. No one will admit that there is any problem, Does anyone have the same issues or comments about why I am getting lines and is there any remedy or what to have Thor do. Thks
Old 09-13-2015, 04:09 PM   #12

THOR #1318
BLW2 Did you ever get the issue corrected and how old was your coach at the time that you bot it fixed. Pls read my comment on the bottom of this page Thks Bret
Old 09-13-2015, 04:42 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
Hopefully so!!!!

Regardless, if i weren't chasing a deal and if I would have had my choice, I would have picked plain white.... cheaper and better all around, IMO
I rally with an individual that special ordered an RV about 6 years in solid white full body paint. It was a stock production Class A but had to be ordered without color. That RV has no striping, no manufactures decals etc... The only thing that's not white are the frames around the windows. Six years old and looks like it rolled off the show room floor.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:11 PM   #14

Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
I was told by a couple of body shop guys to polish the RV. Most of us aren't experienced enough to use a buffer properly without burning the paint. The orbital polishers are supposed to be fool proof with regards to paint burning. I am think about buying the one in the attached video.

Hopefully, with polishing the RV, it will keep the paint and gel coat looking good.

Fred
Old 09-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #15

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #2628
I bought a Maguiar’s RV/boat polish. It has a 3 step process. Oxidizer cleaner, Polish then a wax. It really bought the shine out on my 10 year old RV.

KC
Old 09-13-2015, 07:29 PM   #16

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembertonltd8 View Post
I have had nothing but problems with the side of my ACE 27 ft MH. The side that hits the sun during most of the day shows dark "tan" lines where the aluminum frames are at appear darker (more similar to original color). I have detailed it professionally 2 to 3 times a year and while it does bring out most of the color and shine it only lasts for a few weeks and the lines appear again. I have talked to Thor and they say it is a problem with the Crane company that does the Gel Coat and they just send me a copy of their letter showing proper care and maintenance of Gel Coat. No one will admit that there is any problem, Does anyone have the same issues or comments about why I am getting lines and is there any remedy or what to have Thor do. Thks
Yes, mine has started telegraphing this framework a bit too.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #17

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembertonltd8 View Post
BLW2 Did you ever get the issue corrected and how old was your coach at the time that you bot it fixed. Pls read my comment on the bottom of this page Thks Bret
Well, that post was about the oxidation/fading at the nose cone....
When the coach was in for the warranty work, they did do something.... I think they said the buffed it, but I'm not certain what they did. It did look better for a while. I think it's just one of those things with a darker colored gelcoat, it requires regular maintenance.

As time has progressed, the side walls have started to oxidize a bit too. A few months ago I tried buffing them out with an inexpensive buffer and some polishing compound. I wasn't able to really do a great job with it. Followed with a spray on product called Protectall.

I suspect this, or something like it is what the dealers use. Easy to apply, and looks ok for a while, but it's not the same as a good old wax.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:13 PM   #18

Model: 2014 Siesta 24 ST
State: Louisiana
THOR #6042
WAX and polish for gel coat Thor Siesta 24 ST 2014

Has anybody heard of of used ZEP floor wax on their coach ? I've watched the videos online and the results LOOK amazing and last over a year.

I'm intrigued by the application process and the simple items needed.
( because sometimes, they over sell you on things when a simple product will do the job just as well)
Videos on you tube if you use Zep and RV waxing/polish in your search bar.

Let me know?
Old 01-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #19

THOR #908
ye, I ultimately ended up doing it, although a different brand of acrylic floor polish. It did look great after. Took several coats though. Much better than after a lot of work with buffing compounds and waxes that i had tried previously.
I'm way past due to put on another coat.... but it still looks better than it did after around about a year. I have read though, that over time it can tend to yellow....
I'll put it this way.... it certainly up's the shine
but I have no idea what if anything it does for UV protection
and I'd bet it's not nearly as good as a clearcoat paint job....
Old 01-27-2017, 09:11 PM   #20

Model: 2014 Siesta 24 ST
State: Louisiana
THOR #6042
Zep Floor Wax on your 2014 RV exterior.

Thank you !
I'll not worry as much over the 'yellow with time' bit, as the coach is a Thor tan color scheme anyway.

In the videos, the folks even go over their black window frames and bumpers....any comment on that part?
My black front bumper and the backs of the side mirrors are quite discolored and makes the whole rig look dull because of it.

Also, i saw that it takes coat after coat and good weather, I'm not worried about this due to the fact my lil rig is much smaller than the 'Big boys' out there. 24ST...very doable.