Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2017, 02:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Snowy Cable!?

Anyone have problems with their campground cable being snowy!?

Thought it was the campground but when connected cable direct to TV - picture was clear. (been this way at last three campgrounds).

Of course I have the antenna switch turned off - and changed the connected on the outside with a brand new one - no better!

I am thinking at is a connection in the RV somewhere. I opened the cover in the back where the cable wire runs through and tried to separate it from the 110 V wires (thinking it might be 60 hz interference) but once again no better!

Follow up question - anyone ever replace the cable antenna power switch? I can not find this switch anywhere online. Anyone buy this switch - made by Winegard!

Darren

2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:27 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
You probably have your antenna booster on. Turn off the booster and do an auto channel search again for cable. Unless you have the Seiki tv's without the QAM tuner that should solve the problem.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:15 AM   #3

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
If you hot wired straight to the TV and got a clear picture that eliminates the tv quality and settings end of it. The booster switch many of us have, have a green led to tell us the booster is On. For cable operation the booster needs to be Off. Many folks have had to check all of the coach TV cable connections to resolve the problem... it could be the booster/switch but check the connectors first.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:01 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Digital TV does not get snowy. You will get artifacts when the signal is weak and drops digital packets. Is that what you mean?
Old 07-31-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If the tuned to channel was analog it could be snowy--some cable systems still broadcast analog channels (they can send anything they want down their cable).

You may want to pop off the cable wall plates--perhaps the inside cable connections at one of them have become loose over time.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:14 PM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
Anyone have problems with their campground cable being snowy!?

Thought it was the campground but when connected cable direct to TV - picture was clear. (been this way at last three campgrounds).

Of course I have the antenna switch turned off - and changed the connected on the outside with a brand new one - no better!

I am thinking at is a connection in the RV somewhere. I opened the cover in the back where the cable wire runs through and tried to separate it from the 110 V wires (thinking it might be 60 hz interference) but once again no better!

Follow up question - anyone ever replace the cable antenna power switch? I can not find this switch anywhere online. Anyone buy this switch - made by Winegard!

Darren
Had same issue in my 2014 Hurricane - varying degrees of 'snow' (not artifacts) - worse on lower channels... Then tried using high speed internet - and modem couldn't even connect...
Tried to 'tone' the line from cable connection outside to switch box input - and nothing... (the 'tone' won't pass thru a splitter - but will go thru normal connectors - there should be no splitter between the entrance and the switch box - so indicating a bad line).

The best theory we came up with is someone damaged the line buried in the wall of the coach.. A nail puncturing it would be enough per the 'cable guy' that helped me troubleshoot.

Extended service plan wouldn't cover... labor estimate was ridiculous... and I didn't feel like ripping apart the walls myself...
Temp solution I run a cable under the slide and in to the switch box once parked and set up...
Permanent solution I will be running a new line down the wall from switch box cabinet and under the RV to rear - then up behind the drawers in bedroom to original entrance point.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:07 PM   #7

THOR #1295
Thanks for your answer. I too theorized this was the case. Had to replace a HDMI cable from new as this was the case.

The best theory we came up with is someone damaged the line buried in the wall of the coach.. A nail puncturing it would be enough per the 'cable guy' that helped me troubleshoot.

Extended service plan wouldn't cover... labor estimate was ridiculous... and I didn't feel like ripping apart the walls myself...
Temp solution I run a cable under the slide and in to the switch box once parked and set up...
Permanent solution I will be running a new line down the wall from switch box cabinet and under the RV to rear - then up behind the drawers in bedroom to original entrance point.[/QUOTE]
(THOR)
Old 08-02-2017, 03:05 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6431
I had snowy cable in bedroom 37kt it was the cable connection in rv. There was a 1 foot piece from tv to cable in rv. That connection was bad
Old 08-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #9

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
My 2017 outlaw 29h stinks when the campground signal is analog (when channel numbers are ??-0). main tv is kinda watchable but outside and garage tvs are nothing but snow. What's weird is that digital channels work great. No pixels I wanted to check the splitters for band pass but can't find them even with Thor support. What I know is the switch (green light). Is a electronic switch cable,air and a splitter (1 side to face the other output backside). So a campground analog signal goes through splitter in switch. Connected to another splitter (main tv, back tvs) then the garage, outside tvs have a third splitter! Every splitter has loss. Some more than others.

Ps. Replaced all the 50 dollar siekos with qam compliant tvs so if I'm lucky and the campground signal has digital. The tvs work.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:32 AM   #10

THOR #1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
You probably have your antenna booster on. Turn off the booster and do an auto channel search again for cable. Unless you have the Seiki tv's without the QAM tuner that should solve the problem.
No! No I do not! Did you read my post? "Of course I have the antenna switch turned off"
(THOR)
Old 08-03-2017, 02:35 AM   #11

THOR #1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
My 2017 outlaw 29h stinks when the campground signal is analog (when channel numbers are ??-0). main tv is kinda watchable but outside and garage tvs are nothing but snow. What's weird is that digital channels work great. No pixels I wanted to check the splitters for band pass but can't find them even with Thor support. What I know is the switch (green light). Is a electronic switch cable,air and a splitter (1 side to face the other output backside). So a campground analog signal goes through splitter in switch. Connected to another splitter (main tv, back tvs) then the garage, outside tvs have a third splitter! Every splitter has loss. Some more than others.

Ps. Replaced all the 50 dollar siekos with qam compliant tvs so if I'm lucky and the campground signal has digital. The tvs work.
Thanks for your insight! Perhaps time to upgrade TVs!
(THOR)
Old 08-03-2017, 02:37 AM   #12

THOR #1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Digital TV does not get snowy. You will get artifacts when the signal is weak and drops digital packets. Is that what you mean?
No! The entire pictures come in but it is like watching through a snow storm. Fuzzy white and unclear!
(THOR)
Old 08-04-2017, 02:00 AM   #13

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Had the Seiko TV with no QAM tuner. When connected to cable (booster off) it received nothing.. Replacement Vizio works great. Need to check, even some RCA did not have QAM and I THINK some Seiko models do.

When checking connections on the back of the booster wall plate, don't let the cable fall inside the wall. (almost) All 3 connections on the back of the booster were loose, and did make a difference.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote