Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2019, 11:29 PM   #1

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
Fault Light

Can anyone tell me what this Fault Light is indicating? Something to do with the water heater (it’s not working)? Other gas appliances are working. Suggestions?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1928.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	15472

Old 02-01-2019, 11:51 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Wish I could help but mine doesn't have a fault light. Low batteries? Store/use switch off? What model WH do you have?
Old 02-02-2019, 12:29 AM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I am not familiar with your coachspecifically, but it is probably indicating that the LP gas is not lighting for your water heater. From your picture it looks like you have both LP gas on and 110VAC heater on for the hot water. Does the fault light go out when you shut off the LP gas switch? If you cycle the LP gas switch it should retry starting the water heater. If your LP gas does not start in the water heater, it is time to check out the reason why.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:40 AM   #4

THOR #6651
My coach is a 2017 Challenger LX. The water heater will work off if either 110v electric or propane. I tried turning off both switches (gas and electric) and the fault light went out. Turned them back on, but the water heater still isn’t coming on.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:00 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
You say water heater is not working? No hot water? There's your fault. Fault light is supposed to come on when the LP switch is on and the water heater is not up to temp. Now since you have the electric element on and still no hot water I think you have a controller problem. There may be resets for both the LP and Electric behind the WH panel outside. Check your manual for the WH.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:48 PM   #6

THOR #6651
I left both on/off switches (gas and electric) in the off position overnight. This morning turned on the electric switch and that’s working now. Still can’t get the propane to work. Trying to figure out if there is some type or reset on the gas side.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:52 PM   #7
Site Team

State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTig View Post
I left both on/off switches (gas and electric) in the off position overnight. This morning turned on the electric switch and that’s working now. Still can’t get the propane to work. Trying to figure out if there is some type or reset on the gas side.
Yes, both resets are accessible from behind the outside panel They are push-button behind a rubber cover.

RV Days with Jessica and Harry: Water Heater Update
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:22 PM   #8

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
If, after resetting and getting your water heater to gas light again, your fault lockout occurs again ....the following link might help. Scroll down to Old-Biscuit entry where he suggests that the thermostat for the water heater may be failing.....which should also result in problems even when using the using 110VAC as the heat source.......flaky thermostat may work sometimes and fail others just to make life exciting. Other failure mechanism suggestions are also mentioned in the link.

Water heater in DSI Fault mode - iRV2 Forums
Old 02-04-2019, 05:49 AM   #9

State: South Dakota
THOR #6354
On my Atwood it indicates no flame. If propane is turned off or empty it comes on. I had a problem once where the light stayed on and heater would not light. I had to replace the electronic circuit board.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:36 AM   #10

Model: windsport 36R
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #11273
Maybe you just have a spiders nest in the burner tube and you need to clean it. I occasionally get those in mine and the gas wouldn't light. Do you hear the gas trying to light?
Old 02-04-2019, 07:36 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13710
We're out in Laughlin, NV and last night no not water. Needless to say someone was less than thrilled. Went to bed and reading the forum saw your post and answer and what neck not water this morning. We have the same setup as your coach. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:56 AM   #12

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
check the igniter or glow plug to see if its working, should be able to see them from the outside through the flame inspection hole, also if it has been sitting for awhile the burner tube may have insect or rodent nest inside it, If the flame sensor doesn't see a temp rise in a few seconds from turning on it will set a fault and go into lockout ,could also be a flames sensor bad.

I think it is probably the igniter not lighting or a nest blocking the lp from lighting up.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:46 AM   #13

THOR #6651
Thanks to everyone for all of the input. The 110 V electric side of the heater is working now, but the gas side is still not working. I’m thinking it is the thermal cut-off fuse. I ordered a new one from Amazon and it is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I’ll report back here as to whether it fixed the problem.