Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2020, 12:55 AM   #21
JMF

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta SJ
State: North Carolina
THOR #16303
We have a Thor Siesta which has a Firefly multiplex system. We only have one a/c but Firefly have always been super helpful. We had issues with the a/c turning off the compressor (but not the fan) after 2 minutes. We thought it was the Aircon module but it turns out when it happened again after replacing the module, that the freeze sensor was falling off the coils and laying in the return vent area. Once it was placed back in the right spot the a/c worked great. Not saying that this is your problem, but its a good one to know as the freeze sensor can easily get dislodged with all the vibration.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:29 AM   #22

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMF View Post
We have a Thor Siesta which has a Firefly multiplex system. We only have one a/c but Firefly have always been super helpful. We had issues with the a/c turning off the compressor (but not the fan) after 2 minutes. We thought it was the Aircon module but it turns out when it happened again after replacing the module, that the freeze sensor was falling off the coils and laying in the return vent area. Once it was placed back in the right spot the a/c worked great. Not saying that this is your problem, but its a good one to know as the freeze sensor can easily get dislodged with all the vibration.

Thanks for the info!

I have two units so it is probably unlikely that both sensors fell out but it is good information and I will check any way. I did check one a few weeks ago and it looked ok.

I have had it where the compressors ran without the fans and also where the fans ran without the compressors.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:44 AM   #23
JMF

THOR #16303
Our a/c is also a heat pump - we also had to change some settings intially on the Firefly as well as updating the multiplex unit. I hope they can get it sorted out for you! I was impressed with Firefly - they sent out the unit very quickly and tech support were great.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:03 AM   #24

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMF View Post
Our a/c is also a heat pump - we also had to change some settings intially on the Firefly as well as updating the multiplex unit. I hope they can get it sorted out for you! I was impressed with Firefly - they sent out the unit very quickly and tech support were great.
Thanks for that info!

Did FireFly send you the parts or the dealer? I tried to get them to to send me the board so I could swap it out. They told me their contract with Thor only allows them to send parts directly to customers in an emergency.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:11 PM   #25

Model: Thor outlaw 38MB
THOR #18251
I had the recall done at Thor dealer. The only change after the update was the firmware version is now 6.14
We shall see if that fixed the ghost slides and my ghost furnace operation.
It was easy took 20 mins to do at dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	969FC734-AB7B-48EC-B85B-4824857B4664.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	23694  
Old 05-13-2020, 10:24 PM   #26
JMF

THOR #16303
Did it work for you?
Old 05-13-2020, 10:32 PM   #27

Model: Thor outlaw 38MB
THOR #18251
Well so far but time will tell. Firefly said it was a firmware issue in my case and a recall was issued and now that update has been completed. I’m expecting the recall solved the problem.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:38 PM   #28
JMF

THOR #16303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Thanks for that info!

Did FireFly send you the parts or the dealer? I tried to get them to to send me the board so I could swap it out. They told me their contract with Thor only allows them to send parts directly to customers in an emergency.
Firefly sent parts directly except for Aircon module that had to go through service dealer. We did have to coordinate with Thor to send a Purchase Order. They provided the information needed.

Side note: Our real big issue turned out to be torn insulation around the freeze sensor occasionally shorting to the metal in the coils. New freeze sensor fixed our problem. A $25 part, Dometic sent that part Directly to me gratis directly since COVID 19 lockdowns were slowing things.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:46 PM   #29
JMF

THOR #16303
Update on parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Thanks for that info!

Firefly sent parts directly except for Aircon module that had to go through service dealer. We did have to coordinate with Thor to send a Purchase Order. They provided the information needed.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:14 PM   #30

THOR #12751
My coach is at the dealer for a few things. They told them they replaced the G7 mainboard and also the control / panel display unit. Hopefully that will take care of my A/C issues.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:22 AM   #31

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Illinois
THOR #19773
Same A/C issue as Judge

Judge - thanks for posting this. I'm experiencing the EXACT same A/C issue in my 2018 Miramar 35.2. Sometimes the fans start but not the compressor; sometimes, the compressor runs but not the fans. Like you, it's happening 3-4x per day and just started 5 days ago.

I will definitely reach out to Firefly about this.

I just paid General RV (Huntlely) $400+ for 5.5hr of work on the problem today and they said "all works normally". What a waste.

And of course they didn't mention the recall nor is it listed on the owner site @ Thor itself. I've sent the link to the service manager to see if my rig was manufactured in the time window listed.

Finally, my question...

When I pull up the Settings page on the Firefly, I get no buttons as discussed in the thread. Am I missing something?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1239.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	25149  
Old 07-24-2020, 11:04 AM   #32

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadTimesThree View Post
Judge - thanks for posting this. I'm experiencing the EXACT same A/C issue in my 2018 Miramar 35.2. Sometimes the fans start but not the compressor; sometimes, the compressor runs but not the fans. Like you, it's happening 3-4x per day and just started 5 days ago.

I will definitely reach out to Firefly about this.

I just paid General RV (Huntlely) $400+ for 5.5hr of work on the problem today and they said "all works normally". What a waste.

And of course they didn't mention the recall nor is it listed on the owner site @ Thor itself. I've sent the link to the service manager to see if my rig was manufactured in the time window listed.

Finally, my question...

When I pull up the Settings page on the Firefly, I get no buttons as discussed in the thread. Am I missing something?
When you contact FireFly ask for Jerry Mauer. He was the one I worked with on my problem.

I just got my coach back from General RV (Canton) last week and after several days of camping in mid-90's..... I think I am ready to say my A/C control issues have been fixed.

Per FireFly's recommendation, General RV replaced the G7 Panel (mainboard) but they also replaced the touch display since the coach was under warranty.

However, when I got the coach home my wireless multiplex switches were not working. After investigating it looked like they never paired the switches with the new hardware. I tried to pair the switches myself but none of the fives would connect.

I called Jerry the next day and after walking through it with him he determined the touch display they installed was bad since it has the wireless control for the switches. I called Thor and made them send me a new display so I did not have to drive 4 hours round trip back to General RV. Thor has to have FireFly program the new display and it took about 3 days to get it. It was a 5 minute swap and all the switches paired properly.

I then wrote a note to the Service Manager telling him his tech did not try to pair the switches with the new hardware and had they done so, they would have found the new touch panel to be defective.

I have still been testing the A/C at home with the new touch display and both A/C units still seems to work properly.

I am going to guess you either have a bad G7 panel or you have older firmware. If you are out of warranty and your firmware is not 6.14, you may be able to convince FireFly to send you what you need to upgrade the firmware.

Unfortunately the dealers have no experience with these high tech systems. I try to go straight to the manufacturer and use e-mail so I have documentation of what they say about the troubleshooting I did and the potential solution.

I gave General RV the entire e-mail string I had with FireFly saying the G7 panel needed replaced. They called Thor to get approval for the parts as soon as I took the coach in so they could replace them per FireFly.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #33

THOR #12751
Quote:

Finally, my question...

On that page I have a Diagnostics "soft" button. Not sure why you don't. I will try to post a picture of that screen on my unit today. You may want to send that picture to FireFly to see what they say.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:18 PM   #34

THOR #19773
Thanks, Judge.

I emailed Firefly last night. As suggested, I sent them a picture of the panel, a link to the thread and a list of all the problems I presented to General RV yesterday.

They were super-responsive 2 months ago when I heard there was a WiFi upgrade to the G7 (to replace the bluetooth connectivity) so I could greater connectivity range for their mobile app. I'm hoping for the same responsiveness this time given all the feedback I've read.

Thanks for the reminder to check the switches before leaving the dealership if General RV winds up replacing the motherboard. It's easy to assume they did it right but better to check.

I'll let you guys know the outcome on this one.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #35

THOR #12751
Quote:
Thanks, Judge.

I emailed Firefly last night. As suggested, I sent them a picture of the panel, a link to the thread and a list of all the problems I presented to General RV yesterday.

They were super-responsive 2 months ago when I heard there was a WiFi upgrade to the G7 (to replace the bluetooth connectivity) so I could greater connectivity range for their mobile app. I'm hoping for the same responsiveness this time given all the feedback I've read.

Thanks for the reminder to check the switches before leaving the dealership if General RV winds up replacing the motherboard. It's easy to assume they did it right but better to check.

I'll let you guys know the outcome on this one.
Here are pictures of my Settings screen and the Diagnostics screen with additional buttons.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7081.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	25154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7082.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	25155  

Old 07-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #36

THOR #12751
Quote:
Thanks, Judge.

So you are saying there is a WiFi upgrade option for the Mobile App?

Can you pleeeeeeease tell me more about that!
Old 07-24-2020, 12:43 PM   #37

THOR #19773
It's called the Eclipse. Nick Ablesbeth from Firefly sent me the attached documents.

I got these on June 8 of this year. For $850, if it allowed me to slave it to my Winegard WiFi extender, that's a bit pricey. If I could convince myself I could also access it over the internet when I'm traveling, that would be priceless.

Once I feel comfortable the other electrical issues I'm having are resolved, I'll come back around to this (I have finished the sound insulation I'd planned and will post about that soon including dB reductions at each stage).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vegatouch Eclipse Flyer.pdf (921.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: pdf Installing Eclipse Kits (color screen) Revision 2.pdf (1.51 MB, 114 views)
File Type: pdf Eclipse Text.pdf (46.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 07-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #38

THOR #19773
Full transparency, one thing I noted in the instructions is to NOT place the module near other electronics or behind walls if possible (as I recall).

It got me thinking and I found that the current bluetooth module is under the bed; that's where the load center, converter, heater and water heater are (not to mention the structural metal of the bed).

I'm considering relocating the existing module so that the bluetooth range is better. Currently, I cannot stand outside at the nose of the rig and control the Firefly (about 35' from the bed) because I lose connection.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:51 PM   #39

THOR #12751
Quote:
It's called the Eclipse. Nick Ablesbeth from Firefly sent me the attached documents.

I got these on June 8 of this year. For $850, if it allowed me to slave it to my Winegard WiFi extender, that's a bit pricey. If I could convince myself I could also access it over the internet when I'm traveling, that would be priceless.

Once I feel comfortable the other electrical issues I'm having are resolved, I'll come back around to this (I have finished the sound insulation I'd planned and will post about that soon including dB reductions at each stage).
Thanks for the info Dad!!!!

It looks like it is for the G6 Panel. I will have to see if they offer it for then G7 Panel.

I have the WineGard ConnecT 2 with AT&T so if I could access the Touch Panel with their app from anywhere over the Internet, that would be great.

Your timing is impeccable!

Just yesterday I started experimenting with an iPad to see if I could control it remotely from my iPhone so I could access the Bluetooth app on the iPad and then control the coach remotely over the Internet.

I am going to continue to explore that option. If I can get it to work, then I wouldn't have to spend the $850 with then upgrade.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #40

THOR #19773
Good catch. I have a G7a (just double-checked). I'll reply to Firefly and see what they say.