Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-29-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 3,352
THOR #12751
FireFly System - Intermittent Air Conditioner Control Issues

While I am waiting to get a Warranty Visit rescheduled with my dealer, I have had another intermittent issue arise to add to my Punch List that I thought I would run by the Forum to see if anyone else has experienced this problem and how it was resolved.

I have a 2020 Thor Magnitude with FireFly System. I have had a couple issues occur in the past few weeks with the Air Conditioner Control System.

One two occasions in the past few weeks when the thermostat was calling for both air conditioning units to turn on, the fans were running but not the compressors. The FireFly Panel had the icon for the fans running but not the icon indicating the air conditioners were cooling. This was verified by warm air blowing out of the units.

When I shut down the 12V power to the coach to reboot the system, the air conditioners started working normally again with both the fan and cooling icons present on the display and cold air blowing out of the units.

Then last night I had a similar problem but in reverse. This time when the air conditioners were set to run, the compressors turned on when the thermostat called for cooling but the fans did not. The FireFly Panel showed the cooling icons but not the fan icons.

The G7 Panel Outputs page also confirmed compressors were running but not the fans. I have taken several pictures of the panel to show the icons and status to show my dealer what was going on when I take it.

Let me know if anyone has seen this problem with their FireFly system. I did send FireFly an e-mail to see if they have any ideas while I am waiting to reschedule my dealer appointment.

I have actually knocked a few items off my Warranty Punch List with some downtime and waiting to reschedule my appointment but I don't think this is one I am going to be able to solve on my own but I thought I would see if anyone else has seen this one.

__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
Posts: 540
THOR #13399
Are the ac in auto? If you post the pictures it might help.
__________________
wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #3
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor outlaw 38MB
State: Florida
Posts: 70
THOR #18251
Is the firmware up to date? Was the Firefly recall (19V-504) done?
If yes then more issues I’d guess. I would do a reset like fully depower the system and then back on. I got good service from firefly talking to their customer service.
__________________
Into the great wide open,under them skyís of blue
Outlaw 38MB
V1VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
Posts: 2,585
THOR #4735
while I don't have this 'newer' interface, just physical buttons and switches and thermostats, I wonder if this newer system is actually powering ON both a/c units at the same time, or does it have a built-in 'pause' for the second, giving the first the ability to power up it's compressor before the second one tries...
__________________
the Turners...
two Campers, two Electric cars
former diesel pusher traveler
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:34 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 3,352
THOR #12751
FireFly System - Intermittent Air Conditioner Control Issues

The system is intelligent. It will not allow both A/C units to start simultaneously.

I have had both units set to Cooling and then the Fan to Auto when the problems occurred. Although two of the three times I was turning the A/C on when it had been off.

Here are pictures showing the cooling icon visible meaning the compressors are running but the fan icons are not displayed, which is correct because the fans were in fact not running. The diagnostics page also shows the same thing. I even turned off the cooling but the compressors kept running until I flipped the breakers for them. The 12v reboot fixed the problems

I am also adding a picture showing the condition where the fans were running but the compressors were not turned on when the thermostat was calling for cooling.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6576.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	23491


Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6592.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	23489
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6589.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	23490
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:38 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 3,352
THOR #12751
FireFly System - Intermittent Air Conditioner Control Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1VR View Post
Is the firmware up to date? Was the Firefly recall (19V-504) done?
If yes then more issues Iíd guess. I would do a reset like fully depower the system and then back on. I got good service from firefly talking to their customer service.

I have not been alerted about a recall for the Firefly in my unit.

I did reach out to FireFly support and they got back to me quickly.

They said I did have a firmware mismatch that Thor should correct but he is not sure if it would cause the problem I have seen.

Since shutting down the 12v completely to reboot the system fixes the problem the three times itís occurred, he thinks it could be a connection or issue with the G7 Panel. If it happens again, FireFly wants me to pull the connector for the A/C to see how the system responds to it.

I am waiting for my dealer to get me reschedule for other warranty work since they had to close a few weeks ago when I was scheduled. Iíll be adding this to my list and including the emails from FireFly about the firmware mismatch.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:41 PM   #7
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor outlaw 38MB
State: Florida
Posts: 70
THOR #18251
Get the firmware update (recall # NHTSA 19V-504 search it) it’s about miscommunication from G7 to systems
Mostly “ghost Slide” operations but I had an uncommanded furnace operation at one point the AC ghost operations may be a by product of the firmware “mis match”.
I’m scheduled in on 5/11 for the recall it’s a .3 maintenance allowance from Thor a reflash/reprogram of the chip in the G7 panel . I’m hoping it fixes my issues. It should have been done when my 2019 was sold new since the recall was already issued by NHTSA.
__________________
Into the great wide open,under them skyís of blue
Outlaw 38MB
V1VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:35 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 3,352
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1VR View Post
Get the firmware update (recall # NHTSA 19V-504 search it) itís about miscommunication from G7 to systems
Mostly ďghost SlideĒ operations but I had an uncommanded furnace operation at one point the AC ghost operations may be a by product of the firmware ďmis matchĒ.
Iím scheduled in on 5/11 for the recall itís a .3 maintenance allowance from Thor a reflash/reprogram of the chip in the G7 panel . Iím hoping it fixes my issues. It should have been done when my 2019 was sold new since the recall was already issued by NHTSA.

I will look into the recall.... Iím hoping my dealer will get back to me soon. Or if Thor reopens I would consider a trip to Wakarusa if I could get in there.

It happened again tonight.

This morning I tried the air and it worked fine. It was off all day and when I turned it on this evening only the fans would kick on.

I pulled the connector out of the G7 panel and the AC units but off. the display still showed only the fan running even though the demand was for cooling. When I plugged in the connector the AC fans started running again but the compressors did not starts.

I sent a note off to the guy I have been working with at FireFly to see what he thinks now.

Iím not sure itís firmware since it seems to be happening more frequently now then it did several weeks ago. I would think it may be the G7 Control board. However, shutting down the 12v to let the system reboot fixes it every time.

Itís always something!
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:11 AM   #9
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor outlaw 38MB
State: Florida
Posts: 70
THOR #18251
Email firefly here : support@fireflyint.com Jerry Maurer. He can tell if recall was done based on which firmware you have go to network diagnostics on control panel
And take a pic of the G7 page it will have firmware version If it’s NOT 6.14 then it NEEDS update .
To find it :
Go to settings page on the touch screen press network diagnostics button look for G7 config version and Firmware version
Looks like this
Mine is old should be 6.14 version
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C17A3A2B-847F-413C-97DE-DFAA60A301BC.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	23502  
__________________
Into the great wide open,under them skyís of blue
Outlaw 38MB
V1VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 3,352
THOR #12751
FireFly System - Intermittent Air Conditioner Control Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1VR View Post
Email firefly here : support@fireflyint.com Jerry Maurer. He can tell if recall was done based on which firmware you have go to network diagnostics on control panel
And take a pic of the G7 page it will have firmware version If it’s NOT 6.14 then it NEEDS update .
To find it :
Go to settings page on the touch screen press network diagnostics button look for G7 config version and Firmware version
Looks like this
Mine is old should be 6.14 version
Thanks for the pic. It is helpful. I already had provided that information to Jerry on Tuesday but it allows me to see what yours looks like.

I do have version 6.14 on the G7 but he said there is a mismatch.

The firmware on my Display is 1.5 like yours.

I do see the Config Revision on yours is the same for the Display and the G7 and are both 5.9.

My unit has the Display at Config Revision 5.1 and the G7 Config Revision at 5.3. That is the mismatch he must be talking about.

I sent Jerry and e-mail last night when this happened again to see if he has any ideas.

Thanks for your assistance as well!



Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6591.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	23504
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:45 AM   #11
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor outlaw 38MB
State: Florida
Posts: 70
THOR #18251
Obviously the Firefly “system” has some Type of ongoing issues. I’ll be following how your correction works since you do have the latest firmware 6.14 and you are still experiencing some kind of glitch or “mis-match”. I do like this integrated system control and hope “we” can get these maddening issues corrected. The good news is these issues are known and will be addressed. I’m getting the new firmware 5/11 and knowing your not having your slides extending all by themselves mysteriously with the update is good to know.
__________________
Into the great wide open,under them skyís of blue
Outlaw 38MB
V1VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 3,352
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1VR View Post
Obviously the Firefly “system” has some Type of ongoing issues. I’ll be following how your correction works since you do have the latest firmware 6.14 and you are still experiencing some kind of glitch or “mis-match”. I do like this integrated system control and hope “we” can get these maddening issues corrected. The good news is these issues are known and will be addressed. I’m getting the new firmware 5/11 and knowing your not having your slides extending all by themselves mysteriously with the update is good to know.

I have not had any slide issues to report... so that is positive news!

I like the FireFly system as well. I see Thor did switch from FireFly to the Rapid Camp+ system. I don't know if they did this because of costs or problems with FireFly.

I am waiting to see what Jerry has to say about the latest information I sent him last night.

I also emailed him this morning and told him that I left the system in the error state to see if he wants me to try something else.

If he thinks it is the G7 board, I am going to see if I can convince him to send me one to swap out given it is unclear when things will start moving forward again with Thor and my dealer. I have had Thor and some of the supplier send me parts to do swaps on my own while under warranty before.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:11 PM   #13
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor outlaw 38MB
State: Florida
Posts: 70
THOR #18251
Jerry is good to work with. I did not know Thor dropped the Firefly for Rapid Camp+
Imo itís never good to have an orphaned system especially when glitches are an ongoing issue.... like you said itís always something☹️Heres hoping these issues get resolved.
__________________
Into the great wide open,under them skyís of blue
Outlaw 38MB
V1VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:20 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 3,352
THOR #12751
I had an older Rapid Camp system in my 2018 Outlaw 29H that was more of an analog system. The Rapid Camp+ is a digital system like FireFly. I watched a Thor video of it online.

I do hate it when they keep bouncing around but I bet they did it because it was cheaper than FireFly.

I'm hoping Jerry finds a silver bullet for me but I am guess it is an electronic issue and a board will need to be replaced.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:18 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
Posts: 540
THOR #13399
Just curious I'm not as knowledgeable as you guys are so I checked my network diagnostics for the 1st time # are 7inch color LCD are 1.5 firmware ver 5.4 config revision and G7 firmware version 6.8 and config revision 5.4 mine is a 2019 Challenger I've been notified about recall for update but haven't had it done yet I called firefly awhile back told them I'm fulltime and haven't had any issues with ghost operations they said we are most likely fine but recommend still doing update. Any thoughts?
__________________
wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:27 PM   #16
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Carolina
Posts: 7,320
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
Just curious I'm not as knowledgeable as you guys are so I checked my network diagnostics for the 1st time # are 7inch color LCD are 1.5 firmware ver 5.4 config revision and G7 firmware version 6.8 and config revision 5.4 mine is a 2019 Challenger I've been notified about recall for update but haven't had it done yet I called firefly awhile back told them I'm fulltime and haven't had any issues with ghost operations they said we are most likely fine but recommend still doing update. Any thoughts?
If there is an issue serious enough to warrant an NHTSA recall then it should be applied. You can always make a decision to put yours and everyone else's lives at risk. I'd hate to see what would happen if a driver's side slide decided to open on an interstate when a truck was passing.

I had an awning decide to open at 55 MPH on I95 because I was not aware of a recall on the Dometic awning. In that case Forest River didn't keep adequate records to notify folks the awning were installed incorrectly. Luckily I was approaching my exit on the interstate but it wasn't a pretty site and it took a couple of months to get the awning and arms as well as repair to the side wall complete.

IMHO, you should get the recall done or stay off the road with an unsafe RV.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:52 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 3,352
THOR #12751
FireFly Tech Support came back with the G7 board needs to be replaced. They gave me the part number and firmware version 6.14.

They said Thor is supposed to open next week so hopefully parts will start flowing again. I asked if they could send it to me and their Co tract with Thor says it should go through Thor unless an emergency.

I called General RV and sent then the email from FireFly so they will order the part in advance of getting my service appointment rescheduled. No sense taking it in when they donít stock the part.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:59 PM   #18
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor outlaw 38MB
State: Florida
Posts: 70
THOR #18251
GET THE RECALL DONE recall # NHTSA 19V-504 just google it and it will link to the NHTSA Read all the information print it and use as reference for service.
Better safe then sorry . any dealer can do it provided they have the board interface which Firefly supplies to them. It takes 20 min. reference the recall # when scheduling with your dealers service department.
__________________
Into the great wide open,under them skyís of blue
Outlaw 38MB
V1VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:04 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor challenger
State: Texas
Posts: 5
THOR #17618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
While I am waiting to get a Warranty Visit rescheduled with my dealer, I have had another intermittent issue arise to add to my Punch List that I thought I would run by the Forum to see if anyone else has experienced this problem and how it was resolved.

I have a 2020 Thor Magnitude with FireFly System. I have had a couple issues occur in the past few weeks with the Air Conditioner Control System.

One two occasions in the past few weeks when the thermostat was calling for both air conditioning units to turn on, the fans were running but not the compressors. The FireFly Panel had the icon for the fans running but not the icon indicating the air conditioners were cooling. This was verified by warm air blowing out of the units.

When I shut down the 12V power to the coach to reboot the system, the air conditioners started working normally again with both the fan and cooling icons present on the display and cold air blowing out of the units.

Then last night I had a similar problem but in reverse. This time when the air conditioners were set to run, the compressors turned on when the thermostat called for cooling but the fans did not. The FireFly Panel showed the cooling icons but not the fan icons.

The G7 Panel Outputs page also confirmed compressors were running but not the fans. I have taken several pictures of the panel to show the icons and status to show my dealer what was going on when I take it.

Let me know if anyone has seen this problem with their FireFly system. I did send FireFly an e-mail to see if they have any ideas while I am waiting to reschedule my dealer appointment.

I have actually knocked a few items off my Warranty Punch List with some downtime and waiting to reschedule my appointment but I don't think this is one I am going to be able to solve on my own but I thought I would see if anyone else has seen this one.
Well I have a 2019 Thor challenger with this system, I have had these problems. Not often but yes mostly when turning on, usually clears up when power cycled , don’t know why it does this hope you get an answer I would like to know also.
__________________
Trae urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:11 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 3,352
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae urban View Post
Well I have a 2019 Thor challenger with this system, I have had these problems. Not often but yes mostly when turning on, usually clears up when power cycled , donít know why it does this hope you get an answer I would like to know also.
I am supposed to have an appointment on Monday at the dealer. I sent them the e-mail chain with FireFly recommending the G7a board be replaced so they would order the new board before my visit.

FireFLy didn't act like they have seen this issue before. It seems like it was getting worse last week when we were on a trip so I am hoping it is an electronic failure that the new board will cure.

I even tried seeing if I only ran one A/C at a time as to whether the problem wold happen. After alternating back and forth a few times, sure enough it happened again.

I will report back as to whether the new board solves my problem.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2