Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
To help keep the black tank smell from entering the motor home, always leave water in the toilet bowl which reduces the possibility of odors from escaping the black tank and into the bathroom.

Paul

Old 12-15-2020, 01:39 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
All good advice posted above. Just watch RV with Robin Williams on what not to do when dumping your tanks.
Now you went and made me do it...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:50 PM   #23

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
To help keep the black tank smell from entering the motor home, always leave water in the toilet bowl which reduces the possibility of odors from escaping the black tank and into the bathroom.

Paul
I think it is the processing of flushing that the aroma may come if black tank waste is dated, hot, and without the deodorant At the very end of the flush it is opened just enough to get a whiff. We used the Thetform in out boat for 15 years and it was a must as pumps outs were costly and a must. Mainly for smell although it dos help breakdown. I have NEVER had a sewer tank clog up so breakdown is not my objective. On a short trip; I may not use anything if empty before I leave and I know I will empty on return.

FWIW the way our toilet is design, you have to purpose try to let water out or it will always have some water in toilet after flush, you can optionally add more which I do only if I know a #2 is coming
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:13 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That water is there to provide a seal against tank odors.
Old 12-15-2020, 03:43 PM   #25

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Most chemicals are just deodorizers & typically aren't in the tanks long enough to break down anything.
By using "septic safe" 2 ply paper, expensive rv specific paper is not necessary & plenty of water per flush, if using paper hold the pedal for a 5 count before closing, you should never have a clog issue.
From my experience the kitchen grey tank often smells worse than the black tank, but don't be tempted to add bleach or say Pine Sol to any of the tanks, bleach is not good for the seals & if you've ever smelled pine scented crap you know why not the Pine Sol.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:00 PM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
"Pine scented crap"?

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1608048050
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horrified.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	27649  
Old 12-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #27

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
....once rinsed & flushed add a couple gallons of water to the black tank then add a good healthy squirt of cheapo dish/laundry detergent, this will work to keep valves lubricated & work as well as the expensive tank chemicals.[/QUOTE]

Rather than using regular dish soap I use cheap liquid automatic dishwasher detergent as it is non foaming.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:46 PM   #28

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Well just to add on

Dawn is a great surfactant and concentrated so requires a small amount

The benefit is to help the level sensors clean and working

Surfactants work by changing the surface charge

I use chemicals if were going several days prior to dumping
Old 12-15-2020, 06:15 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
...Rather than using regular dish soap I use cheap liquid automatic dishwasher detergent as it is non foaming.
Hi Pete,
Please forgive my ignorance...
Why is that important?
Old 12-15-2020, 08:40 PM   #30

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Hi Pete,

Please forgive my ignorance...

Why is that important?

Good question, actually.....I guess I don’t see value in suds foaming up. One of those “I’ve always don’t it that way” things that maybe doesn’t make any difference. I’ll withdraw the question, your honor!
Old 12-15-2020, 09:18 PM   #31

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Another hint is to not be that guy at the dump station that takes 45 minutes to dump the tank. If you are there more than 5 minutes you are doing it wrong.
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:46 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Use whatever time you have.
The key is to get there when you're not faced with a traffic jam.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:30 PM   #33

THOR #6826
I try to book a full hookup site every now and again so I can drain and flush to my heart’s content. Especially useful on the night before going home.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:35 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
. Same here!
Old 12-16-2020, 02:11 AM   #35

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
This past summer, I booked the last available spot at the Bear Lake KOA in Garden City Utah. It only had water and electric at that site. When I checked in the staff that helped me told me that their dump station gets very busy about the time everyone checks out so they suggested that I just pull into a vacant site that had a dump site and use it before leaving. I thought that was a great idea and took their advise.

Paul
Old 12-16-2020, 03:23 AM   #36

THOR #13058
Quote:
That water is there to provide a seal against tank odors.
Yes. The point I was making was that my toilet fills with enough water to seal just with regular flush; unless you let it out. And you could optionally add more water to fill more of the bowl.

The other point, was this past summer I tried a few times adding no Thetford Deodorant and after a few weeks it had awful smell when flushing. At some point when flushing the water is out and seal is broken. This time of the year with cooler temperatures it may not be as bad.

For us; we just use to Thetford as it works great. We also have always used just regular toilet paper, same as in the house. Note: I only use about a 1/3 of what Thetford recommends. I just like knowing we never have any odors and it does breakdown and it is faster than what most are saying. You can take regular toilet paper and put in water and in a few hours it is already breaking down without chemicals.

We have used Dawn or equivalent as well, but does not mask odors anywhere close to Thetford or similar (not trying to advertise for anybody, but all chemicals / odorizes are not the same. When you sleep just above a waste tank for 15 years in your boat, you learn real good as to which deodorant can mask smell
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-16-2020, 03:34 AM   #37

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Another hint is to not be that guy at the dump station that takes 45 minutes to dump the tank. If you are there more than 5 minutes you are doing it wrong.
So far other than the campsites that sewer at our site, we have yet had a need to dump. When we go to a facility we use it normally takes me about 20 minutes

So not sure what I am doing wrong?

1. Get a beer
2. Go get my gloves
3. Figure which the valve is on / off to connect hose to Sani Flush, and connect Camco slinky 5 minutes
4. Drain Black with Sani Flush on (10 minutes as I wait until water coming out is clear)
5. Drain Gray 5 minutes
6. Put everything back up, spray and wipe down wet bay, toss gloves, go inside sanitize hands
7. Get beer
Old 12-16-2020, 03:41 AM   #38

THOR #13058
Quote:
. Same here!
I need to find that other thread, but I finally installed that Jet Flo Macerator. I have only used it to test and verify it works but not for a real sewer dump at home. I got a trip planed this week so maybe next week I get a chance to see it live action. I have 100ft hose

I installed myself, I got 12vdc off the Genset and ran 12 gauge wire to wetbay. So all 15 amps is dedicated to pump when in use.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201206_161431.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	27661   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201206_161444.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	27662  

Name:	20201028_185540R.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	27664  
Old 12-16-2020, 11:55 AM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It's looking better than great: good luck!

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1608126502
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gunny 01.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	27673  
Old 12-16-2020, 01:30 PM   #40

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
From my experience the kitchen grey tank often smells worse than the black tank, but don't be tempted to add bleach or say Pine Sol to any of the tanks, bleach is not good for the seals & if you've ever smelled pine scented crap you know why not the Pine Sol.
Correct, I learned the hard way...
I was dropping a chlorine tablet into the tank after dumping the tank.
It seemed to swell the seals on the dump gate enough it wouldn't function closed.
I had to remove the gate to see what was keeping it from closing, now replacing it, oh what fun, I ran a garden hose into the toilet for 15 minutes to get a better rinse before disassembly.
Conclusion: do not use bleach nor chlorine tabs, I didn't try the Pine-Sol, but won't. Good tip!