Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2020, 04:46 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I need to find that other thread, but I finally installed that Jet Flo Macerator. I have only used it to test and verify it works but not for a real sewer dump at home. I got a trip planed this week so maybe next week I get a chance to see it live action. I have 100ft hose

I installed myself, I got 12vdc off the Genset and ran 12 gauge wire to wetbay. So all 15 amps is dedicated to pump when in use.
I just used my Flojet for the first time. (bought it for use at the house) Had Son and DIL stay for a couple days in the MH, and my sewer cleanout is about 85 feet from MH. It did an awesome job, even though it was 21 degrees when I used it. I may retire my slinky and use it as my primary tool.

Old 12-16-2020, 04:57 PM   #42
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to read that your not up "Sh*t's Creek"!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #43

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
No no no! You all got it wrong. First thing you do is park your rig in Bob's driveway.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 07:54 PM   #44

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Quote:
I need to find that other thread, but I finally installed that Jet Flo Macerator. I have only used it to test and verify it works but not for a real sewer dump at home. I got a trip planed this week so maybe next week I get a chance to see it live action. I have 100ft hose

I installed myself, I got 12vdc off the Genset and ran 12 gauge wire to wetbay. So all 15 amps is dedicated to pump when in use.
Why do people use mercerrators aren't they much slower to dump
Old 12-19-2020, 08:12 PM   #45
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
No no no! You all got it wrong. First thing you do is park your rig in Bob's driveway.
If you've got the grinder: I've got a spot to dump it on the uphill side of the driveway...
Old 12-19-2020, 08:33 PM   #46

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Texas
THOR #19813
Wear gloves during the while process. Any dump station I've ever seen has fresh water. Bring your own hose for putting flush water into the tanks. To avoid contamination risk, most will have a hose separate from the drinking water hose to do flushing. (I've seen people use the hose at a dump station to clean out their sewer hose by sticking the water hose into the sewer hose!)
After dumping the black tank I close the black valve and add clean water to flush the black tank before emtying the gray. I bought a little water meter mounted on the fill house on Amazon that I use to gauge how much flush water is loaded into the black tank. If the black capacity is 30 gals I'll put 20 into the tank and then reopen the dump valve. It's toilet paper that mucks up your tank and a good strong flush is one way to get it off the bottom and sides of the tank and out.
A scoop of a powder called Happy Camper is the most frequently mentioned additive to black and gray tanks. It's not a harsh chemical. Mix a scoop in a gallon of water and pour into each tank after dumping and flushing. Add an additional 5 gals or so into each tank. It's worked for me to eliminate any odors. I always can smell when someone uses the blue stuff.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:02 PM   #47

State: Florida
THOR #7128
I always pop the gray tank open first for about 3 seconds, just to make sure the hose is secured correctly. Much easier to clean up - just in case🦨
Old 12-19-2020, 09:17 PM   #48

State: North Carolina
THOR #13548
Tip before pulling handle on black thank

Add this step before you do the following...pull grey water handle for just a moment to assure that all connections are secure AND that you don't have a leak in your sewer hose. RV manufacturers (and companies that sell them) will in many cases provide a low end sewer hose that may leak...better to check grey water going down the hose before you drain black
Then continue with...

1. Open Black, let it drain.
2. Open Grey, let it drain.
3. If there is water running, I'd fill up the black/grey tanks (with a hose?) and then drain them again?

Thanks, I appreciate the help for a newb![/QUOTE]
Old 12-19-2020, 09:47 PM   #49

Model: 30.1
State: Ontario
THOR #394
Tank Flushing

Lots of great tips. I'd add having 25' of cheap hose handy. Sometimes there's only a faucet at dump station and you DO NOT WANT to use your potable hose around the sewers. A clear 90* elbow at the dump tank is essential to know when you're done. My black empties fast but grey takes a while (Smaller diameter pipes). Yes, after flushing your 'deposit' get back on the pedal for a 5 count to add 2" to the bowl. Black tank needs water to flush the solids. Use cheap paper - 1 ply if you can find it. Not Strong or Soft. Sensors can be a problem if paper gets hung up etc. I carry a 4' wand that sprays sideways, I can shove down the toilet from inside and twirl around. Seems to clear them. I also use a couple of pieces of cheap plastic eavestrough and some wood blocks to hold the slinky straight while camping. Enjoy!
Old 12-19-2020, 11:52 PM   #50

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
DO NOT add any chemicals to your tank!!!Unless Bob is buying. Him and the chemical companies are the ones supporting flushing money down the drain. It is a holding tank, not a septic system. Nothing is in there long enough to digest in any form. Especially on the short trip to the dump!! Just plain water at each flush of the toilet is all that is needed
20 years doing it with zero problems. Saved enough $$ to buy my last rig!!

Bill
Have you ever washed your hands with water compaired to water and soap, big difference. I think he will be using a cleaner not something for septic. Just the way I took it
Old 12-20-2020, 12:10 AM   #51

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
We use Charmin tissue and never have any problems. We don't put it in the toilet, it goes into a garbage can. We have done this for 30 years. Emptied every day and we don't have paper we can see through, like wiping you butt with your finger
Old 12-20-2020, 12:20 AM   #52
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We do the same thing...
Nothing but crap and soap in the crap tank!
Old 12-20-2020, 12:38 AM   #53

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Another hint is to not be that guy at the dump station that takes 45 minutes to dump the tank. If you are there more than 5 minutes you are doing it wrong.
Oh give me 10 before you start pacing back & forth.😊
Old 12-20-2020, 12:41 AM   #54

THOR #17765
Quote:
So far other than the campsites that sewer at our site, we have yet had a need to dump. When we go to a facility we use it normally takes me about 20 minutes

So not sure what I am doing wrong?

1. Get a beer
2. Go get my gloves
3. Figure which the valve is on / off to connect hose to Sani Flush, and connect Camco slinky 5 minutes
4. Drain Black with Sani Flush on (10 minutes as I wait until water coming out is clear)
5. Drain Gray 5 minutes
6. Put everything back up, spray and wipe down wet bay, toss gloves, go inside sanitize hands
7. Get beer
You! And if any questions, get another beer!
Old 12-20-2020, 12:49 AM   #55

THOR #17765
Wow dumping tanks sounds like rocket science. Yes, I’m the guy rinsing out my sewer hose with the “non potable” water hose as the dump station. Guess what? That’s why it’s marked non potable. Heck, dump the black. Close the valve. Dump the gray. Close the valve. Rinse stuff off. Load up the hose. Wash your hands in the bathhouse . Go on down the road. Don’t make it difficult. But it will take me about 10 minutes.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:51 AM   #56

Model: ACE 30.3
State: California
THOR #17673
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaurbanelli@aol.com View Post
After dumping the black tank I close the black valve and add clean water to flush the black tank before emtying the gray. I bought a little water meter mounted on the fill house on Amazon that I use to gauge how much flush water is loaded into the black tank. If the black capacity is 30 gals I'll put 20 into the tank and then reopen the dump valve. It's toilet paper that mucks up your tank and a good strong flush is one way to get it off the bottom and sides of the tank and out.
I want to second this one.

The meter is great, because it gives you confidence that you aren't over filling, and get a decent amount of water in.
I also use the meter when I just want 10-15 gallons in the fresh water tank on the way to a site, so that we have enough for the trip. Keeps us from buying gas to tote 50 gallons when we don't need it, but not to run out if getting stuck somewhere that 10 gallons would be REAL handy.
This is the one I purchased, which is currently unavailable, but if put in the URL it will give you alternatives.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really only do these big flushes when I am at a FHU campsite. I don't want to do the DEEP flush at a dump station. And REALLY AM NOT going to do it if people are waiting.

But I am hardly an expert, so....
Old 12-20-2020, 01:15 AM   #57

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
You all make camping way to difficult.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 01:18 AM   #58
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
But with enough beer: it at least becomes funny!
Old 12-20-2020, 03:07 AM   #59

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
If both gray and black tank empty, there is no slop all over the drive, and the gauges say E it was a successful dump. Add a little water, chemical deodorizer or soap if you are so inclined and call it done.

After a few trips to the dump station you will be a honey dumping pro like the rest of us
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:41 AM   #60

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
We use Charmin tissue and never have any problems. We don't put it in the toilet, it goes into a garbage can. We have done this for 30 years. Emptied every day and we don't have paper we can see through, like wiping you butt with your finger
NO WAY are we storing soiled paper anywhere but where it belongs.........down the toilet! YUK!
Please don't say your one of those folks that burn that soiled paper in their campfire?? Double YUK! YUK!
Been rving 40+ years & flushing the DWs favorite paper into blacks since the 1st rv & have NEVER had an issue with clogging any black tanks.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote