Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2021, 10:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Florida
THOR #21560
Fixed Pitch Awning ???

I have a "fixed pitch" Carefree awning on my '14 Vegas 24.1. I do not have the spring loaded buttons on the arms which serve to allow one side or the other (or both) to be lowered for drainage or more sun protection.
However, the arms on both ends have 3 detents and appear to be adjustments. Does anyone know what they are there for? Are they there to provide a major pitch change? Maybe used on different applications?? TIA. Ed

Old 01-18-2021, 12:29 AM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
I have a "fixed pitch" Carefree awning on my '14 Vegas 24.1. I do not have the spring loaded buttons on the arms which serve to allow one side or the other (or both) to be lowered for drainage or more sun protection.
However, the arms on both ends have 3 detents and appear to be adjustments. Does anyone know what they are there for? Are they there to provide a major pitch change? Maybe used on different applications?? TIA. Ed
following
Old 01-21-2021, 05:13 PM   #3

Model: Vegas
THOR #21560
I couldn't get a definitive answer- from a couple of National dealers. So I decided to take a look more closely to see if I could figure it out myself- - after all, I am a licensed A&P mechanic- I SHOULD be able to figure it out.
On inspection, with my eyes wide open, reading glasses on, I discovered that the question for me is moot!
I don't have a FIXED PITCH awning! I have the adjustable pitch model! Maybe sometime down the road I'll figure it out- - if it begins to bother me. But for now, I think I have embarrassed myself enough to last at least a week . Thanks, Ed
Old 01-21-2021, 05:21 PM   #4

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Find the button withe the holes under it on the outside of the arm. Push button and pull down on arm. Like putting up a tent
Old 01-21-2021, 06:49 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
I couldn't get a definitive answer- from a couple of National dealers. So I decided to take a look more closely to see if I could figure it out myself- - after all, I am a licensed A&P mechanic- I SHOULD be able to figure it out.
On inspection, with my eyes wide open, reading glasses on, I discovered that the question for me is moot!
I don't have a FIXED PITCH awning! I have the adjustable pitch model! Maybe sometime down the road I'll figure it out- - if it begins to bother me. But for now, I think I have embarrassed myself enough to last at least a week . Thanks, Ed
If you a Carefree of Colorado Latitude patio awning the adjustment instruction are on their website.
ADJUSTING THE PITCH
The awning pitch can be adjusted. It is strongly recommended that adjustments be made in small
increments to achieve the desired setting.
This procedure works best with 2 people, one person to lift the roller tube to relieve the weight and one
person to make the adjustments.

DO NOT USE POWER TOOLS, ALWAYS USE HAND TOOLS TO MAKE ADJUSTMENTS.
1. Open the awning.
2. At the top of the knuckle loosen the
locking screw approximately 1/4".
NOTICE The locking screw MUST be
loosened before adjusting the pitch.
3. To raise the pitch: Turn the lower
adjustment screw clockwise.
4. To lower the pitch: Turn the lower adjustment screw counterclockwise.
5. Hand tighten the locking screws until snug when the desired pitch is achieved.
NOTICE DO NOT overtighten the locking screw. Overtightening the screw can cause unnecessary
strain and wear on the knuckle.
NOTE: After the initial installation and the awning is opened, the awning may settle. This is normal.
Check that the locking screws on the knuckle are snug.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:17 AM   #6

Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
THOR #18202
Quote:
I don't have a FIXED PITCH awning! I have the adjustable pitch model!
When you get the pitch set where you want it:

Push the switch for a "constant speed awning"