Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Florida UV Protection

We are familiar with having our 5th wheels in Florida for the winter months and what UV rays can do to them. In years past I would use my Florida visit to get a coat of wax on plus use plenty of 303 on about everything else.

But now we are back in a home and our RV will end of sitting in open storage for a good part of the summer. Priced covered storage and it was pretty expensive so for now it will sit where the sun can bake it.

Anyone summer storing for all or part in Florida what extra precautions do you take? I plan on leaving a couple windows cranked open slightly and checking on the rig twice a week.

US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Not really much you can do. Keep it waxed. No different than a car or boat really, and they sit out year round all over florida.
I have been tempted to leave my roof vents open, but have so far kept them closed with no real ill effects. I figured it might end up being a way for critters to smell something they want inside and get in easier....
Old 08-29-2016, 02:12 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wouldn't covering it help? (Other than the fact that its a pain to get on and remove.)

Keeping UV off it completely seems like a better way...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Well, when I first bought the MH, i researched this quite a bit, and surveyed lots of folks on rvforum as well as personal friends
I very common thought is that canvas type covers often cause more harm. If not secured very well, flapping can cause scratches and abrasions to the finish underneath.
In the end, I took advice from a friend. He covers his during the off season, but said there is no way he would do it if he didn't have an off season. Since in Florida I never really know when we''ll plan a trip, and it's rarely more than 4-6 weeks till our next trip, it would be too much work to take the risk.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2
In the end, I took advice from a friend. He covers his during the off season, but said there is no way he would do it if he didn't have an off season. Since in Florida I never really know when we''ll plan a trip, and it's rarely more than 4-6 weeks till our next trip, it would be too much work to take the risk.
Funny: That is exactly what we do: Cover the RV in the winter; I don't cover it in the summer because of the effort required to cover/uncover it.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:00 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
I have'd wash wax and covered out MH. Six weeks later uncovered it, you couldn't tell it was covered that nice shiny new look faded away.Might have to spend a few extra bucks on a buffer. I wax it two times a year. It takes me more time to wrap up those black tie downs than to cover and uncover. Once you get a system down it's pretty easy. My cover is for a 28' MH. the smaller covers didn't fit
Old 08-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Covering an RV

We purchased a fairly decent (according to the reviews online!) cover for our Vegas 25.3 a week after purchasing the RV, after being told by others that it NEEDS to be covered during the 'off-season', but haven't used it yet. We DO, however, use the tire-covers, as dry-rot is something we don't wish to encourage. Having the RV parked in our driveway in Illinois uncovered between uses doesn't worry me much, as the area is mostly treed (ALL dead branches removed!) and under cover, shielded from the suns rays. Pre-winter, we'll be taking the RV down to our home in Tennessee for the season, where we will be covering it after a good scrubbing, as there is no shade over that particular driveway. I'm a firm believer that the sun will do the most damage to your finish, aside from a flapping cover-buckle, and anything you can do to block the sun will help in the long-run.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:08 PM   #8
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
We purchased a fairly decent (according to the reviews online!) cover for our Vegas 25.3 a week after purchasing the RV, after being told by others that it NEEDS to be covered during the 'off-season', but haven't used it yet. We DO, however, use the tire-covers, as dry-rot is something we don't wish to encourage. Having the RV parked in our driveway in Illinois uncovered between uses doesn't worry me much, as the area is mostly treed (ALL dead branches removed!) and under cover, shielded from the suns rays. Pre-winter, we'll be taking the RV down to our home in Tennessee for the season, where we will be covering it after a good scrubbing, as there is no shade over that particular driveway. I'm a firm believer that the sun will do the most damage to your finish, aside from a flapping cover-buckle, and anything you can do to block the sun will help in the long-run.
Looking for a cover for my 25.2 Vegas and was wondering which cover you went with.
Thanks,
Kev
Old 08-29-2016, 07:31 PM   #9

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I would make sure it is waxed. Also, buy tire covers. The UV will destroy the tires faster then the coach.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:34 PM   #10

THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Looking for a cover for my 25.2 Vegas and was wondering which cover you went with.
Thanks,
Kev
Hiya Kev! I went to the 'Amazon mothership' and ordered this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's described as: Classic Accessories 70363 Overdrive PolyPro III Deluxe Class A RV Cover, Fits 24' - 28' RVs and priced out at $228.16. I ordered the tire covers first and was happy with the quality of them so I felt I'd be safe with their vehicle cover. Here's the link to the tire covers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 at $20.87 per pair. The ordering per size is tricky, but this one is the right one... (after 3 tries. dur...)
In the past, I had picked up a lightweight cover for my cars I seldom drive, but found that way too much dust, dirt, rain, and other assorted crap got through the very light fabric. The Classic Accessories items seem to be more substantial, but as I mentioned earlier, I haven't used the cover as of yet.

How are you liking your RV? Any issues with it? We've got a leak, straight from the dealer (CampingWorld, Island Lake, IL) that they are not able to find, after 3 visits and 2 months without our NEW RV. Thor rep interceded as much as he was able to, but after the last repair visit, I told both parties that they are liable for the 'mystery leak' and any damages which may occur from now until the leak is found and repaired. I don't care if it's 10 years down the road; It's a new vehicle and if they can't repair it, that particular issue is covered under warranty until they can.... yeah.. I'm one of THOSE women. My dear hubby has memorized a sentence which he uses in 'situations': "unfortunately, you're going to have to speak with my wife...". He stays stress-free and I handle the BS.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Old 08-30-2016, 02:00 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I used a Class-C cover for my Axis as there are reports that a Class A cover is too large. I figured that since the Vegas/Axis units are class C's in A's clothing a C cover would fit better.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:20 PM   #12
Kev

THOR #3918
Calico
Thanks for the info. I have been looking for a cover to protect the coach from the Florida sun when in storage. This is our first RV and have had it for about 4 months. We have had only a couple of minor issues that were taken care of. The latest is the heating pad falling off the water tank. They are replacing the heating pad which is held on by adhesive. Since there is only two of us and a couple of dogs we like the size and we are enjoying it so far. I did have Sumo springs installed along with a Safe T Plus stabilizer and front end alignment which made a big improvement in handling. I am sorry to hear about your leaking problem. I don't know where your leak is but I did read on one of the forums that one person had water entering through the running lights on the top of the front cap. I guess they are just screwed on and there is no gasket between the lenses and the body. I haven't had any problem but I am going to put silicone around mine as a precaution. I also have one of those woman. They would much rather deal with me than her.
Kev
Old 08-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #13
Kev

THOR #3918
Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I used a Class-C cover for my Axis as there are reports that a Class A cover is too large. I figured that since the Vegas/Axis units are class C's in A's clothing a C cover would fit better.
Which cover did you use and are you happy with it?

Thanks,
Kevi
Old 08-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
We used the Adco class C cover (#34813):

So far its worked great for 2 seasons now (although I did rip it putting it on last fall--my fault).
Old 08-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #15
Kev

THOR #3918
cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
We used the Adco class C cover (#34813):

So far its worked great for 2 seasons now (although I did rip it putting it on last fall--my fault).
Jamie

Thanks for the info. Do you think it will fit my rv which is a 25.2, one foot longer than yours?
Kevin
Old 08-30-2016, 05:52 PM   #16

THOR #4796
Thumbs up Mystery leak in Vegas 25.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Calico
Thanks for the info. I have been looking for a cover to protect the coach from the Florida sun when in storage. This is our first RV and have had it for about 4 months. We have had only a couple of minor issues that were taken care of. The latest is the heating pad falling off the water tank. They are replacing the heating pad which is held on by adhesive. Since there is only two of us and a couple of dogs we like the size and we are enjoying it so far. I did have Sumo springs installed along with a Safe T Plus stabilizer and front end alignment which made a big improvement in handling. I am sorry to hear about your leaking problem. I don't know where your leak is but I did read on one of the forums that one person had water entering through the running lights on the top of the front cap. I guess they are just screwed on and there is no gasket between the lenses and the body. I haven't had any problem but I am going to put silicone around mine as a precaution. I also have one of those woman. They would much rather deal with me than her.
Kev
Thank you for the info on the running lights! At least its something WE can check out and squeeze some sealer on. Our leak comes through the passenger side wall and deposits in the storage compartment beneath the outside TV Compartment. The TV also shows some condensation which concerns me as word on the street is that electronics don't mesh well with moisture. I suspected the leak was at the antenna, as I thought it might be running down the wire and coming out the antenna hook-up in the storage box; we did see 'dry dribble marks' there. CW says it couldn't get the leak to happen while they had it. I'm going to check out those running lights, since where the leak comes in and where it exits could be way far apart. Once again, thanks!
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Old 08-30-2016, 05:56 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Probably: There is a bit of slack on either end (you can sort of see it in the front in that pic).