Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2023, 09:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Fuel tank

I was doing some power equipment maintenance today, cleaning carbs, changing fuel filters, etc. The carb bowl on the RVs generator was real dirty. I had just cleaned it a couple of months ago after an earlier genny problem. Yes, it has a new filter and I only buy gas at major retailers, not the junky corner stores. Yes, I use fuel stabilizer. It seems that even with fuel stabilizers and additives, my small engine equipment always gets balky in the winter. Anyway, it got me to thinking of using a boat fuel tank for my monthly runs. It would make using real gasoline more affordable. The coach has an 80 gallon tank. The V-10 in the coach can handle poor, dirty, watery gas a lot better than the Onan. The fuel lines are readily accessible and it would only take a couple of minutes to pop the line off the fuel filter and hook up the line from the boat tank. Is the Onan fuel pump strong enough to pull from a tank on the ground? Am I over thinking this? Should I just suck it up and always have to tinker with the thing?

Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 10:08 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Lt,
I would set the boat tank on a stand or something like an upside down 5 gallon bucket. That would reduce the load on the fuel pump. You could also use a marine fuel line that has a bulb to prime the system and further reduce the load on the Onan pump. I think you have a great idea!
Old 12-27-2023, 11:48 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
If you study the set up used to run two Honda 2000 generators in parallel (creating 4000W) you'll see a series of fuel hoses, quick disconnects etc. I have this set up and it can be used for what you want with a couple minor modifications. Most of these super small generators operate on gravity feed fuel. The Hondas, much like the Onan, have an internal fuel pump. Go ahead and file for a patent...excellent idea.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 01:22 PM   #4

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
State: Florida
THOR #17449
Why not install a fuel line shut off and run the generator out of fuel when you do not plan on using it. I agree todays fuel is not very stable. Fuel conditioners and major brands of fuel will help. Just remember adding fuel conditioner to gas that is bad will do you no good.
Old 12-29-2023, 04:19 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM41261 View Post
Why not install a fuel line shut off and run the generator out of fuel when you do not plan on using it. I agree todays fuel is not very stable. Fuel conditioners and major brands of fuel will help. Just remember adding fuel conditioner to gas that is bad will do you no good.
After a good run, when the genset has cooled, I drain the carb bowl. But a simple cutoff sounds better that using the boat tank, thanks.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote