Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Ford dealers

Thanks for all the help and comments that's what I like about the form. You can get information from the best people. I can sit around and think of trouble on just about anything. Prepare for the worst and expect the best. I have to say I'm 64 years old and every time I go out to my motorhome there's always something wrong with it . Right now when it's plugged into Shore power can't watch TV too much static on the picture and the converter fan runs constantly .But that's part of rving in I've learned to accept it.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:15 PM   #22
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
Right now when it's plugged into Shore power can't watch TV too much static on the picture and the converter fan runs constantly .But that's part of rving in I've learned to accept it.
That's not normal.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #23

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
I have been hearing of people going to the Ford dealerships and being turned away because they will not work on motorhomes . I recently heard of a gentleman down in Florida Triton V10 could not find a Ford dealership that would work on it. It's my understanding he had it towed to a commercial Ford truck dealer and they even turned him away. So if we're on the road with a Ford Triton V10 and we have engine trouble what do we do? I would like to know before I sell mine as this seems unacceptable. If Ford doesn't want to work on them then don't sell them to the R.V. industry. I really like my motorhome but eventually something is going to happen. I'm talkin Class A.
My local Ford Dealer accepts motorhomes. As long as they have a big truck bay you should be good
Old 12-14-2019, 08:00 PM   #24

State: Tennessee
THOR #16782
Some will, some won’t. Some don’t have the space or equipment. I asked at my local Ford dealership and the response was no because of space issues. The dealership moved to a new facility and they started working on my rig.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:45 PM   #25

THOR #15410
I did call the 800 number and went to that dealer. They did not want to work on the coach, even though I just needed the headlights replaced under warranty. They tried to send me to the truck dealer 70 miles away. My local RV dealer wouldn't do it either,and eventually went out of business. I called the truck dealer to make an appointment and they told me there was no reason that my local dealer couldn't replace the headlights. Finally after some talking and discussion, the local dealer agreed to do the work. It took almost 3 months for the parts, and 20 minutes for the job.It is really sad that you can buy an RV just about anywhere, but can't find anyone to work on them.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:46 PM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
For OP, I had/have same concern

For OP, I did had the same concern as you before I bought. I wanted to ensure I had 3 or 4 valid local (Dallas) repair options before buying anything. I just assume RV Dealerships will overcharge royally if you didn't buy from them. I have been dealing with 5 Star Ford for 20 plus years, they told me when I get the RV I can go to Westway Ford in Irving. I called them about 8 months ago and they told me to go to their website to see what all they can do.

https://www.westwayford.com/ford-rv-service.htm

After seeing that site which is still up; I said I have no problem. Now 3 weeks into owning an RV, I called them the other day to see if they can install the Safe T Plus stabilizer. They say "Nope", they don't work on RVs short of changing oil!!! After pressing, they refer me to another company called Rush Truck Center. So I am still kind of it that no man's land as to who I can use to service my brand new unit.

Before anyone wishes to give me a lecture on options, with enough money I can get anything fixed anywhere anytime. Challenges I see is one local RV Dealer wants $225/hr if you didn't buy the coach from them. Most I see are quoting $175/hr. But since they can't tell you how much time it will /should take, one place may charge 3 hrs whereas another only 1 hour for the same job.

I have F53 and will plan to change oil and filters myself, but I am still searching for where and who to do things like alignment / tires etc.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:21 PM   #27

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
When I had my Thor Hurricane 34E MH Class A gas, I took it to the Ford Big Rig
dealer for oil changes and some warranty work.

Many dealers are not set up for something that is 11 or 12 feet tall.

This worked for me.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:47 PM   #28

Model: Hurrican 34J
THOR #4107
Ford Dealer for Class A RV - F53 v10

I've called Thor and they provide the RV support line for Ford.

They can help you find a dealer with a big enough bay to service your RV... BUT that doesn't warranty they will provide any service.

I've tried calling and asking those on the list I got and some will say sure on the phone and when you get there they tell you they can't handle it. Had a couple of high energy discussions with manager at this shops.

The only place we I have been able to get service, but they are always extra busy is Rush Truck Center. but it's the Lightweight trucks department, not the commercial department.

https://www.rushtruckcenters.com/ they are full Ford Dealership.

Oil and filter change I usually get them done at the local Walmart, depending on the on-duty manager, they sometimes will try to say they can't service it.
if they have the tall bay, I will start by asking for Filters and buy one... once they confirm they have them on hand, I'll snick in a request for them to change the oil for me or let me use their pit.

they usually end up giving in, but they may ask you to drive your RV in and out yourself. Which is my preferred option.

Last but not least, if you need tires or balancing, find a local shop how can handle trailers, they are more likely to have the needed equipment for 19.5 tire size if your Class A happens to use those.

Good luck,

Mario Hernandez
Old 12-15-2019, 04:05 AM   #29

State: Washington
THOR #10744
Ford dealership

Quote:
I have been hearing of people going to the Ford dealerships and being turned away because they will not work on motorhomes . I recently heard of a gentleman down in Florida Triton V10 could not find a Ford dealership that would work on it. It's my understanding he had it towed to a commercial Ford truck dealer and they even turned him away. So if we're on the road with a Ford Triton V10 and we have engine trouble what do we do? I would like to know before I sell mine as this seems unacceptable. If Ford doesn't want to work on them then don't sell them to the R.V. industry. I really like my motorhome but eventually something is going to happen. I'm talkin Class A.
We take our 2015 Vegas to a 'commercial Heavy Duty' Ford/Freightliner truck dealership in Portland, Oregon and have had no problems getting them to work on our vehicle.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:42 PM   #30

Model: Chateau 31L
State: California
THOR #2917
Quote:

I live 80 miles North of San Francisco. There are 8 Ford dealers within 15 miles. None of them will even do a simple oil change. I take the MH to a local independent shop for routine maintenance and generator oil and filter changes.

Had a high speed vibration in driveline/differential. Called Ford and they recommended dealers in San Jose, San Leandro and Fremont. They all refused to see it.

I called La Mesa RV in Davis, CA and they said to contact Ron DuPratt Ford in Dixon, CA. Dixon is closer to me than the other dealers recommended by Ford and Ford didn't even mention them as an option. They took it in, diagnosed and fixed the issue under warranty. All completed within a week.

Turns out La Mesa RV in Davis sent the majority of their Ford issues to Dixon for repair. Dixon is a farming community with a population of 20,000 people.

Since this experience I have always planned on calling the nearest RV dealer for their recommendation if I need a Ford repair.
dlbeck27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:56 PM   #31

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
I checked the “official” Ford list for the Denver area. Three locations are listed - two dealers and the Rush Medium Duty Truck Center. The two dealers say they won’t work on motor homes. Rush does - they actually have two businesses - one for Ford and another that is a medium truck shop. So you can’t trust Ford’s list.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:38 AM   #32

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
I checked the “official” Ford list for the Denver area. Three locations are listed - two dealers and the Rush Medium Duty Truck Center. The two dealers say they won’t work on motor homes. Rush does - they actually have two businesses - one for Ford and another that is a medium truck shop. So you can’t trust Ford’s list.
I hope to visit the Rush Medium Duty Truck Center in Dallas this week. They were referred to me by the Ford commercial Dealership. They charge $175/hr and will at least mount my Safe T Plus mount. I don't have the stabilizer bar yet, but I figure if the mount can be installed on the Chassis I can do the rest?

My fear is that the 2 nuts that need to come off won't? It is new RV but that U boat and nuts is is rusted so bad it may be seized? I prayed it several days with that Blaster Penetrating oil but it won't budge. Prolly just as well as I don't need to be taking those bolts off anyway.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-16-2019, 01:45 AM   #33

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck27 View Post
I live 80 miles North of San Francisco. There are 8 Ford dealers within 15 miles. None of them will even do a simple oil change. I take the MH to a local independent shop for routine maintenance and generator oil and filter changes.

Had a high speed vibration in driveline/differential. Called Ford and they recommended dealers in San Jose, San Leandro and Fremont. They all refused to see it.

I called La Mesa RV in Davis, CA and they said to contact Ron DuPratt Ford in Dixon, CA. Dixon is closer to me than the other dealers recommended by Ford and Ford didn't even mention them as an option. They took it in, diagnosed and fixed the issue under warranty. All completed within a week.

Turns out La Mesa RV in Davis sent the majority of their Ford issues to Dixon for repair. Dixon is a farming community with a population of 20,000 people.

Since this experience I have always planned on calling the nearest RV dealer for their recommendation if I need a Ford repair.
I bought my RV for La Mesa RV Port St Lucie. They were great on the sales and delivery side. I traveled 1,500 miles and they were simply perfect and our RV was immaculate. However, their post sales support is lacking so I am not surprised they would defer you. They have twice tried to get me to go to ANY dealer in my area because their support may be centralized,? and the people on the phone have been the worst IMO thus far. My sales lady and experience otherwise was so great, I can't even get mad at the Service people Dealer in my area charges $50 more / hour because I did not buy the RV from them!!! Imagine taking your SUV to Lincoln dealer who says, we will charge you more and make you get at the back of the line because you did not but the SUV from their dealership.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:16 PM   #34

State: Illinois
THOR #4121
Too true

I've found that Ford isn't too fond of working on motorhomes. At the end of the season I found that I had developed a fluid leak in the area of my oil cooler. I checked with the local Ford dealers and none of them would take it with the excuse they don't have the lift to work on it even though they have a lot full of commercial vehicles. That left me only one option within 200 miles in St. Louis. This Ford dealer wouldn't give me an appointment and stated I would just have to drop it off and it would be around 3 to 4 days before they could get to it. I dropped it off on November 5, 2019 and as of today December 16, 2019 they have done nothing. On about my 3rd call, 1 a week since I dropped it off I was told they were moving their shop and their lifts hadn't been installed yet. The guy then said I was free to take it somewhere else if I wanted. As I had ran through all the options within 200 miles it appears Ford will get around to it, when they get around to it. Frustration 101.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:25 PM   #35
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billr580 View Post
I've found that Ford isn't too fond of working on motorhomes. At the end of the season I found that I had developed a fluid leak in the area of my oil cooler. I checked with the local Ford dealers and none of them would take it with the excuse they don't have the lift to work on it even though they have a lot full of commercial vehicles. That left me only one option within 200 miles in St. Louis. This Ford dealer wouldn't give me an appointment and stated I would just have to drop it off and it would be around 3 to 4 days before they could get to it. I dropped it off on November 5, 2019 and as of today December 16, 2019 they have done nothing. On about my 3rd call, 1 a week since I dropped it off I was told they were moving their shop and their lifts hadn't been installed yet. The guy then said I was free to take it somewhere else if I wanted. As I had ran through all the options within 200 miles it appears Ford will get around to it, when they get around to it. Frustration 101.

Did you contact Ford? At least in Florida the vehicle part of a motorhome is covered by the lemon law which gives them 30 days (as I recall) to fix a warranted defect. Quit playing tag with the dealers and get the regional service manager on the horn. Do the research on your state's lemon law and follow it to the tee if it covers your Ford chassis (which it should).
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #36

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
There are Ford Dealers (cars and light trucks), there are Ford Commercial Truck Centers...then there are Ford Commercial Truck Centers that will work on MH's. For the most part...they hate MH's. They have to spend hours on end removing beds and personal junk just to get to the source. Owners hang around the dealership all day with their dogs befriending everyone that will make eye contact with them. They want to stay in the MH while it's getting worked on and/or sleep in it at night on a two day+ job. They start telling the tells of their travels, etc., etc., etc. In the end...they explode when the rig is ready and the bill isn't what they expected.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #37

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
There are Ford Dealers (cars and light trucks), there are Ford Commercial Truck Centers...then there are Ford Commercial Truck Centers that will work on MH's. For the most part...they hate MH's. They have to spend hours on end removing beds and personal junk just to get to the source. Owners hang around the dealership all day with their dogs befriending everyone that will make eye contact with them. They want to stay in the MH while it's getting worked on and/or sleep in it at night on a two day+ job. They start telling the tells of their travels, etc., etc., etc. In the end...they explode when the rig is ready and the bill isn't what they expected.
LOL.... Does it help if you are willing to help them fix the repairs?

I just found the correct the Ford Commercial Center that works with RVs. They only do the F53 Chassis and none of the MH stuff, They charge more per hr for an RV.

I have a question though.

1. I a bought Safe T Plus 41-180 and ounts from Camping World with Black Friday Specials.

2. Since CW has the 41-180 Stabilizer on backorder, and I have shipped me the mounts, I figure I would just pay to have someone mount the bracket and the install the rest later.

3. I had planned to install myself, but could not remove the 2 existing nuts from the spring assembly to put the mount on.

Yesterday, I make it to this Ford Commercial Center as they say they can add the mount for me with no problem. But they too could not get the nuts of easily. So they stop and told me that if they continue to turn the nuts they may break the U - bolt? If so; it could be a week or so because they will have to have a U bolt made. The part is not a stock part for them, nor available from Ford? As I was alone and not prepared; not wanting to leave the RV for a week or so, I asked if they could tighten it back up. In the meantime; I called Safe T Plus (really great people) who was willing to get me the u bolt I needed and ship to me. So I tell the Ford place I will return when I get the part.

The Ford place then charged me $110 to settle for that day, and stated that when the part comes they will start fresh (new bill). Of course I paid graciously because it was a new place and I like friends. But I later thought, should they have charged me? Basically they were afraid the U bolt may break? Or since this is brand new motorhome/chassis is this something that should be covered by Ford warranty?

I have since found a Spring Shop that can add the mount and make the U bolt if needed. I just need to schedule with them and hope they have fair rates. Because even when this is done, I will still have to mount the stabilizer bar myself. CW say sit could be another 2 weeks before I get the 41-180.

Thoughts?
Old 12-18-2019, 02:59 PM   #38

THOR #11130
They were in their rights to charge you...they spent time on it and have to pay the techs either way. To only charge you $110 was gracious...IMO. I'm not at all familiar with the fixes on the F53 chassis. Lots of folks here will fine tune this for you. The biggest issue with MH's and dealers is the mix of different components that make up the total package. Ford builds the stripped chassis and MH manufacturers tie into the Ford systems and add everything else. Often, as in your case, a part or an item will come up that has nothing to do with Ford or their parts systems. Then...it becomes the "finger pointing" for days between so many suppliers as the unit sits on the lot in pieces. No one wins. I sold commercial trucks at the local Ford Commercial Truck Center in Atlanta in the early 90's. I've seen first hand the issues that arise with MH's. They still work on MH's and have a dedicated shop for it, but require owners to leave it with them...no waiting. They are consistently backed up 3-5 weeks for repairs.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #39

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Often, as in your case, a part or an item will come up that has nothing to do with Ford or their parts systems. Then...it becomes the "finger pointing" for days between so many suppliers as the unit sits on the lot in pieces. No one wins.
For clarity, the two nuts that need to be removed are part of the F53 Chassis. They help to hold down the U Bolts over the springs to the Chassis.

The issue surfaces when wanting to install the Safe T Plus Stabilizer; you must remove those two nuts to install a mounting bracket)

My angle was around the fact that it is brand new 2019 Coach / Ford F53 Chassis. If a Ford Dealer can't remove without fear of shearing the U bolts, is that something that may be a warranty issue by Ford Motor Co? Maybe Ford might say they are not intended to ever come off? I don't know. It just seems strange to me that given it is brand new F53 Chassis under warranty, and they (Ford) can't get the nuts off due to rust seizure of whatever concern may be? I basically had to pay because it would NOT come off? Now I must buy parts (U bolt / nuts) that may break; so that I can pay them again at a later date to try again? Worse if it does not break, I would have had to pay for first attempt, new U bolts/nuts and then a final attempt with cost TBD. I guess they will charge at least 1 full hour; so next bill's labor may be around $220. When you add the parts, I may have to pay $400 just to get 2 nuts removed from the original brand new Ford F53 Chassis (not related at all to the Motorhome)
Old 12-18-2019, 03:31 PM   #40

THOR #11130
Yes...they should be able to remove those bolts, even if it took dynamite...it's a Ford part and it's under warranty. Perhaps the issue was "this is to install a non-Ford part", which is not a warranted repair and it just looked like a disaster for them was unfolding. Not sure.

..."Maybe Ford might say they are not intended to ever come off?"...

Good statement...there was probably a liability concern once they got into it and choose to pass on it.