Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #1
Member
 
geno929's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 23U
State: Missouri
Posts: 62
THOR #8692
Ford V-10 in Thor 23U

So, this past year we have been driving our 2014 23U a bit. First trip California to Missouri in August, with 101 degree heat and 20 mile/hr crosswinds, the V-10 got poor millage (8.0) and struggled a bit. Only had 5000 miles on the clock.
Got her home, changed to full synthetic Mobil-1 5W-20. Did three or four weekend trips over the summer. Millage seemed to improve a bit, maybe 9.0 or so. This past week she turned over 10,000 miles. Coming home from Chicago, the motor seemed very lively, ran 2300 - 2400 rpm @ 70 mph all down I-55.
Could it be that after the breaking in period, the motor has just loosened up and is running better? Very little downshifting for grades, yes, I realize this is Illinois! Did have the typical head wind faced from Chicago to St.Louis though! Millage seemed to be above 9.0/mile, but I'll make a more scientific study on this next full tank of gas.
I want to say how pleased I am with the Ford motor and chassis. Thor did a fairly good job on the coach, did need a few things corrected! Lucky for me, I'm handy and cheap. Fixed most things myself: new water pump, got batteries and electrical system working well, stopped the damn stove from making too much noise and managed to figure out winterization all by myself, well with help form the forum!
Anyone else had this same experience?
__________________

__________________
geno929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
Posts: 610
THOR #4656
I'm getting 6.5mpg towing a Jeep on the interstates, a little more when slower on the back roads. I would love to see 8, but its not really broke in at 5000 miles. Very pleased with the power, I moved from a 22 four winds with a 5spd to a 29 Freedom Elite with the 6spd trans. Nice combination.
__________________

__________________
Making a smooth transition to senility for over 70 years

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,672
THOR #1150
Yeah its pretty common for the V-10 to "loosen" up a bit around the 10,000 mile mark. There is/was a lot of discussion about that over on ford-trucks.com when it first came out.

On both of my Superduty's I noticed about a 0.5 - 1.0 mpg increase after the 1st 10k. I'm not watching it closely enough on the Axis as this is my 3rd V-10 and thus I'm just letting it do its thing
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:21 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 14,110
THOR #8860
It's almost as if you can "feel" that V-10 starting to stretch a bit; and get nice and loose for the long run!

The 1330 triples in my Spyders got to that point at about the 8,000 mile mark...
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
"Well I may be confused... But you know I sure ain't down!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:54 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Mustang46555's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
Posts: 288
THOR #10823
Our V10 just rolled over it's first 3000 miles. I can feel it loosening up a bit more on every trip.
__________________
Mustang46555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:57 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Mustang46555's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
Posts: 288
THOR #10823
Hey Geno!
Love your avatar, had a restored 69 Mach 1 until arthritis made it too hard to get in and out of. Royal Maroon with blackout hood and stripes. Miss that car a lot!
__________________
Mustang46555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:53 AM   #7
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Jersey
Posts: 99
THOR #8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by geno929 View Post
So, this past year we have been driving our 2014 23U a bit. First trip California to Missouri in August, with 101 degree heat and 20 mile/hr crosswinds, the V-10 got poor millage (8.0) and struggled a bit. Only had 5000 miles on the clock.
Got her home, changed to full synthetic Mobil-1 5W-20. Did three or four weekend trips over the summer. Millage seemed to improve a bit, maybe 9.0 or so. This past week she turned over 10,000 miles. Coming home from Chicago, the motor seemed very lively, ran 2300 - 2400 rpm @ 70 mph all down I-55.
Could it be that after the breaking in period, the motor has just loosened up and is running better? Very little downshifting for grades, yes, I realize this is Illinois! Did have the typical head wind faced from Chicago to St.Louis though! Millage seemed to be above 9.0/mile, but I'll make a more scientific study on this next full tank of gas.
I want to say how pleased I am with the Ford motor and chassis. Thor did a fairly good job on the coach, did need a few things corrected! Lucky for me, I'm handy and cheap. Fixed most things myself: new water pump, got batteries and electrical system working well, stopped the damn stove from making too much noise and managed to figure out winterization all by myself, well with help form the forum!
Anyone else had this same experience?
I am getting 7 miles per gallon on my 2018 Thor 37rb with the Ford V10. I believe that is typical.
__________________
Hoser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:58 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Quebec
Posts: 3
THOR #18418
Thanks for your post GENO! Is your 2014 Ford V10 equipped with a 6 speed transmission?
If so, do you recall the rpm reading at 60 mph ? I saw the details for 70 mph (2300-2400). Also, were you pulling a toad or trailer ?

Thanks for your help !
__________________
Evening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:11 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 14,110
THOR #8860
Unfortunately; we haven't seen GENO in here since just before last Christmas...
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:26 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 2,112
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Unfortunately; we haven't seen GENO in here since just before last Christmas...


And if itís a 2014 it would certainly have the 5 speed.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:30 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 14,110
THOR #8860
Yup! The six-speed was added in 2018.
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:07 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
MountainGaut's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau (22E)
State: Colorado
Posts: 3
THOR #19060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Yup! The six-speed was added in 2018.
Thanks, looking for comparison with my 2019 Thor Chateau : Rev at 1900-2000 rpm AT 55 mph: seems a bit too high. Maybe 1600 to 1800 rpm should be the average ? (without pulling a toad or excess load).
__________________
MountainGaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:19 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 2,112
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGaut View Post
Thanks, looking for comparison with my 2019 Thor Chateau : Rev at 1900-2000 rpm AT 55 mph: seems a bit too high. Maybe 1600 to 1800 rpm should be the average ? (without pulling a toad or excess load).

Having owned rigs with both the 5 and 6 speed I can confidently say the 6 speed is a MUCH better match to the needs of a MH! You need to remember that any motor home is big, heavy and about as aerodynamic as the side of a barn. It takes a lot of power to move it at highway speeds. It also accounts for the generally dismal gas mileage.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:36 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
MountainGaut's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau (22E)
State: Colorado
Posts: 3
THOR #19060
Thanks for your input !
__________________

__________________
MountainGaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×