Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2020, 10:55 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RS26
State: Arizona
THOR #16788
I had the same issue at the same RPM on a 2017 Triton. It is indeed the serpentine belt. Changed belt (also order 1/2 inch shorter length per another forum discussion) and that solved the problem.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:37 AM   #22

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I listened to that youtube clip and couldn't hear anything but normal engine noise.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:05 AM   #23

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #7047
Solution

I had the same issue as you and believe this is the solution. I too posted this question and a video and received lots of suggestions that did not resolve the problem but after trying to diagnose and solve this over 2 years I believe this is it.
Firstly I have a 2017 Thor Axis 24.1 with the 6.8 V10. We purchased this new in April 2017 with 400mi on the odometer. At approximately 6000mi when driving home from Florida we experienced the same noise as shown by people on the videos in your post. Ours also occurred at 2100rpm was on the driver side and Air conditioning did not seem to affect this at all which confused me because even though it don’t quite sound like it my initial thought was it was the belt.
I figured it was the end of the season and I would take it to be looked at by my local Ford dealer. Let me tell you this whole portion of my story is a nightmare. I wont get into the ugly details but will tell you I took it to the Thor dealership that sold it to me who heard the noise and said it was a Ford issue, which they were right, and had it to 2 Ford dealerships which never properly identified nor remedied the issue and insisted it was a Thor issue after tying up my RV for approximately 2 months and I had Ford Customer Support involved. I must add that I did deal with an individual from Thor in attempting to resolve this, who if I ever meet him in real life I will punch him in the throat, and also dealt with the company that does the frame stretching of our chassis” Moryde” who unfortunately for them ultimately got stuck with Fords bill and it wasn’t even their fault. Moryde by the way was the best company to talk to out of the whole ordeal they were extremely kind and went above and beyond my expectations. It is a very long and complicated story that makes for some good entertainment.
Anyway getting back to the solution. I decided to test my suspicions and change the OEM serpentine belt and voila noise was gone. Unfortunately this was only temporary. The belt I installed was a Dayco from Advance auto parts, although it is listed as the proper belt it was approximately 0.5in longer than the OEM belt which concerned me because I thought to myself that the belt tensioner was already at the further end of its travel which I thought wasn’t a good thing. After driving the RV for about 800mi the noise came back unfortunately this time however it was distinctly a belt chirp and it occurred under the same conditions as the original noise.
So now I decided I am going to buy another new belt and a new tensioner. I did this time I replaced the belt with a Gates Heavy Duty Fleet truck belt and I bought a Dayco tensioner but in doing my research and putting them on I realized there is an open post above the power steering pump. In looking at the belt diagram online it was showing there is supposed to be a idler pully here however there wasn’t. I then consulted the owner manual and saw that the 6.2L engine diagram shows the idler pully is there but the 6.8, which has the same exact belt diagram does not. I thought to myself that given the noise is definitely coming from this side of the engine and discovering that my second belt debris was int this general area I thought it would only make sense to install the idler pully here. So I ordered another idler pully, same as on the passenger side of the engine, 90mmpully dayco part # 89006 and installed it on to the post. Sure enough I took it out and the noise is completely gone.
I believe that if you get a new belt, and install this pully you will find your issue will be resolved as well. This is a relatively new fix for me so I don’t have many miles under it but I am fairly certain this is the solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	23217   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.8.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	23218  

Name:	debris.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	23219  
Old 04-09-2020, 01:12 AM   #24

State: Florida
THOR #17202
So my 2100 RPM squeak vacated the building. Drove it last night. Completely gone. Same tank of 87 octane.

I had the center grill out to install a bunch of little round running lights. When I reinstalled it, I zip tied every loose wire and anything else. Not sure if it helped.

I did spray the serpentine belt with a couple of good sprays of brake kleen while the engine was running. Didn't seem like it did anything at the time. Drove it about 5 miles up through the gears and no squeak. So I'm leaning towards a serpentine belt or out of alignment engineer pulley that was temporarily appeased by the brake kleen.

I was going to make a video of the squeak. Glad it is gone. Hopefully it stays gone. Thank you to all the replies.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:14 AM   #25

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #7047
Solution

I had the same issue as you and believe this is the solution. I too posted this question and a video and received lots of suggestions that did not resolve the problem but after trying to diagnose and solve this over 2 years I believe this is it.
Firstly I have a 2017 Thor Axis 24.1 with the 6.8 V10. We purchased this new in April 2017 with 400mi on the odometer. At approximately 6000mi when driving home from Florida we experienced the same noise as shown by people on the videos in your post. Ours also occurred at 2100rpm was on the driver side and Air conditioning did not seem to affect this at all which confused me because even though it don’t quite sound like it my initial thought was it was the belt.
I figured it was the end of the season and I would take it to be looked at by my local Ford dealer. Let me tell you this whole portion of my story is a nightmare. I wont get into the ugly details but will tell you I took it to the Thor dealership that sold it to me who heard the noise and said it was a Ford issue, which they were right, and had it to 2 Ford dealerships which never properly identified nor remedied the issue and insisted it was a Thor issue after tying up my RV for approximately 2 months and I had Ford Customer Support involved. I must add that I did deal with an individual from Thor in attempting to resolve this, who if I ever meet him in real life I will punch him in the throat, and also dealt with the company that does the frame stretching of our chassis” Moryde” who unfortunately for them ultimately got stuck with Fords bill and it wasn’t even their fault. Moryde by the way was the best company to talk to out of the whole ordeal they were extremely kind and went above and beyond my expectations. It is a very long and complicated story that makes for some good entertainment.
Anyway getting back to the solution. I decided to test my suspicions and change the OEM serpentine belt and voila noise was gone. Unfortunately this was only temporary. The belt I installed was a Dayco from Advance auto parts, although it is listed as the proper belt it was approximately 0.5in longer than the OEM belt which concerned me because I thought to myself that the belt tensioner was already at the further end of its travel which I thought wasn’t a good thing. After driving the RV for about 800mi the noise came back unfortunately this time however it was distinctly a belt chirp and it occurred under the same conditions as the original noise.
So now I decided I am going to buy another new belt and a new tensioner. I did this time I replaced the belt with a Gates Heavy Duty Fleet truck belt and I bought a Dayco tensioner but in doing my research and putting them on I realized there is an open post above the power steering pump. In looking at the belt diagram online it was showing there is supposed to be a idler pully here however there wasn’t. I then consulted the owner manual and saw that the 6.2L engine diagram shows the idler pully is there but the 6.8, which has the same exact belt diagram does not. I thought to myself that given the noise is definitely coming from this side of the engine and discovering that my second belt debris was int this general area I thought it would only make sense to install the idler pully here. So I ordered another idler pully, same as on the passenger side of the engine, 90mmpully dayco part # 89006 and installed it on to the post. Sure enough I took it out and the noise is completely gone.
I believe that if you get a new belt, and install this pully you will find your issue will be resolved as well. This is a relatively new fix for me so I don’t have many miles under it but I am fairly certain this is the solution.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6.2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	23220   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.8.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	23221  

Name:	debris.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	23222  
Old 04-09-2020, 01:16 AM   #26

State: Florida
THOR #17202
I did not see the post above my previous one about the missing idler pulley. I am doing that ASAP. That sounds exactly like belt chirp. Thank you.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:33 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Thor Jazz 2760 rl fifth
State: Oregon
THOR #18531
Squeak or whistle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid to the Law View Post
I have a Ford V10 with 15,000 miles in a Four Winds Class C 31L that is making a squeaking type noise under steady throttle. If I accelerate or decelerate the noise goes away. It sounds similar to a belt squeal/squeak but seems that would make noise more of the time. My guess would be some vacuum related issue, but was hoping someone else knew the solution. Thanks in advance for any help. Thanks, Mike
I have the v10 in my Ford 350 that developed a whistle at 90k miles. Had also lost 50% power. Turned out to be clogged catalytic converter on the power issue, but I bet the whistle was from the exhaust flange and great back-pressure! Also you V-10 owners coming up on 70k or more miles- if you get a cat converter message, know this may be due to spark plug erosion and gap too big. Ignoring this P0470 message melted down my cat,$1500 repair instead of $500 for new spark plugs!
Old 04-24-2020, 12:13 PM   #28

Model: Freedom elite 30fe
State: South Carolina
THOR #14612
Has anyone figure out solution for squeaky noise. As others mentioned I am thinking to change the belt.
Also I am thinking if it’s drive shaft issue when chassis are extended? Has any one heard of that.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:38 PM   #29

THOR #14612
Sorry did not see post with missing pulley, first I will check this out. Thank you.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #30

State: Tennessee
THOR #16656
Mine was the belt. Changed it and the noise went away.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:07 PM   #31

THOR #14612
Did you installed factory motor craft belt or after market like gates
Old 04-24-2020, 09:09 PM   #32

THOR #14612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cllowe View Post
Mine was the belt. Changed it and the noise went away.
Did you use aftermarket belt or Motorcraft original belt
Old 04-24-2020, 11:58 PM   #33

State: Tennessee
THOR #16656
Aftermarket one from orileys
Old 04-26-2020, 01:29 AM   #34

THOR #14612
Just Changed the belt. Noise gone. Hopefully this is a permanent fix. As some people said noise comes back after 700 or 800 miles. He advised if the noise come back then we can add idler pulley as chimez mentioned in his post. He said it should not hurt any thing as long as the tension is correct. By the way I also contacted Ford and received a callback from for tech. I asked him about the pulley and he clearly said no.and told me to take to dealership. But personally I don’t think it should hurt anything.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:49 PM   #35

Model: Four Winds 31L
State: Georgia
THOR #16870
I changed my belt with a Gates Heavy Duty and the noise is now gone. Wish I would have done it sooner.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:03 PM   #36

THOR #14612
So after changing the belt, we had 7000 miles trip to west. No noise at all. But after 9000 miles noise is back. Does any one find any cute other then belt. I am thinking to check the pulleys next.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:40 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Did you try some good old-fashioned belt dressing?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:05 PM   #38

THOR #14612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Did you try some good old-fashioned belt dressing?
That will be good idea. Any particular one you recommend. I think I should carry that with me for testing. And drive rv. If noise disappears temporarily or even for few days, it will be belt. But why belt would do that after 7000 miles. At least it can narrow it down to belt and then pulleys.
Did you installed idler pulley that was mentioned in this post.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:19 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Both CRC and Loctite offer it.
They are both companies that I am comfortable trusting.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:54 PM   #40

Model: freedom elite 24he
State: Alabama
THOR #21327
I'll be changing my belt and pulley today. 12,090 miles and crackly noise around certain rpm.

Tags
ford, squeak, squeal, v10, vacuum