Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2021, 02:22 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: freedom elite 24he
State: Alabama
THOR #21327
I changed the belt and idler pulley with the Gates set which gives me a lifetime warranty on the pulley I think and the noise is gone.

Still have the fuel rich O2 sensor issue but have the sensor on order as well as MAF sensor.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:17 PM   #42

State: Indiana
THOR #21091
Can you please point me in the direction of the O2 sensor and MAF issue? I searched but didn't find something that looked like what you might mean.
Thanks
Old 01-30-2021, 06:52 PM   #43

THOR #21327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian76 View Post
Can you please point me in the direction of the O2 sensor and MAF issue? I searched but didn't find something that looked like what you might mean.
Thanks
My v10 threw a MIL Light (check engine) and the code was fuel trim sensor 2 bank 2. That's driver side, 2nd sensor which is the one on the converter itself.

Not too many things can make this code happen. But the O2 sensor is "seeing" that there's too little o2 coming out (or too much) and it causes the computer to make adjustments until no more can be made and then throws the code. I think it was p2091 .

On a motor that's 3 years old with 12,000 miles it's likely not a bad converter, or a leaky exhaust system. So it can be a bad o2 sensor or a bad MAF sensor or plugged in wrong or broken wires ,etc.

I changed maf and o2 and the code went away. (I use forscan to check because the MIL wasn't on but would have set after confirmation) . I sent the RV on a rental the next morning so I haven't had time to check it thoroughly but I hope it fixes it.

It wasn't too hard to replace it. A split wrench is quite helpful. The maf was 5 minutes to replace.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:04 PM   #44
Gone Fishing

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunseeker 3010DS
State: Georgia
THOR #22072
e-450 V10 6.8 engine rattle 2100rpm - serpentine belt - idler pulley

Found this for anyone still chasing this noise.
e-450 engine rattle - serpentine belt

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...elt-82252.html

https://youtu.be/Oa6cr2dFkPE
Old 02-05-2021, 04:44 PM   #45

THOR #21327
Glad to report after a few hundred miles the noise is still gone and no MIL.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:21 PM   #46

Model: Freedom elite 30fe
State: South Carolina
THOR #14612
After traveling 9000 miles and having no noise I was very happy. But when the noise came back I tried the belt conditioner. I really don’t think this is a good idea. Talk to three different mechanics and everyone said that now definitely you have to change the belt. So this time I changed to gates belt tensioner and idler pulley. Noise is gone again like before. But let’s see how long it will last.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:16 PM   #47

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
This is an old thread but I want to go back to the beginning and let folks know what I did. My E-450 v10 had an annoying “rattle” in the 2100-2300 rpm range that got to be unbearable. That is my cruising rpm. After long searches on the web, calls to Ford, and a visit to a Ford repair center I was told to live with it.

I found a thread on another forum and there was a video in the first post with the EXACT noise I had. https://blueovalforums.com/forums/in...ity-and-noise/

After talking to a co-worker who is a retired auto mechanic and listening to my coach I decided to add the second idler pulley. Like the rest of the posts indicate, it was a simple task. The noise went away.

We did two 500ish trips back in Feb/Mar with no problems and just recently (last week) finished a 9K mile trip. No issues and no noise. Total cost was roughly $32 and I ordered the parts at fordpartsgiant.com.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:50 PM   #48

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Unstable Belt Syndrome at approx. 2100 RPM with V-10 E-450

Just stopped by to see what is happening here at Thor Forum as we purchased a Nexus Viper 27-V back in 2020...makes me an SOB (some other brand) owner.
Funny though, I have had the same noise/rattle at 2100RPM regardless of what gear or shifting up or down. I found the article in Blue Oval Forums dealing with it, along with a short video showing the serpentine belt just vibrating like crazy on the driver side of the engine block.
I reviewed the articles, illustrations that showed a second idler or tension pully being present in some older models and that the mount on the engine block is still there.
I purchased the two parts needed (see attached picture):
- Bolt and Washer part# N808102-S437 2X, it says 2X because Ford sells them as a pair of bolts. COST $7.98 for the pair.
- The Pulley, listed as MotorCraft YS385, part number 1L2Z 8678 AD. This is for the narrower 6-ribbed Serpentine Belt. COST: $34.95.

PLEASE NOTE: If you have the wider (and older) 8 ribbed Serpentine Belt you will need a different pulley. That part number is MotorCraft YS-249 part number YW7Z 86780-AA.

It took 20 minutes, a little hide off the knuckles getting the wrench in there and getting a little space for the pulley to fit (I tied a piece of rope to the pulley, pulled it to the passenger side and tied it off to the frame under the engine...I was doing a 1 man job). Also, in one of the other sites I found the recommendation to tighten no more than 18 lb/ft of torque using a torque wrench (so as not to strip out the threaded mount).
Once finished I drove around on the interstate and back with NO noise! For the first time in 3 years. For under $45.00 no more of the Harmonic Vibration from the Serpentine Belt!

Hope this helps some one else out. Wishing you all safe travels as a new season is here.
DocMike and Sheree
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1679953607
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Parts for 2100RPM vibration fix.pdf (510.4 KB, 95 views)

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:31 AM   #49

State: North Carolina
THOR #28849
Thanks for the info
Old 04-19-2023, 01:51 AM   #50

THOR #21327
Happy to report that although my replacement pulley tensioner and belt started making noise again I did the secondary pulley which took 15 minutes and put 1000 miles on the clock.

Noise gone. Permanently. So quiet, it's a whole new animal.

Thank you for the research. Forums do work.
Old 05-02-2023, 10:08 AM   #51
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
I also have the squeaking sound. To me it's like a rotating squeak. I thought it maybe the speedo cable but not sure if they still use that type of system anymore. But then the V10 is old school. Funny after 27,000 miles of driving, my wife just said the other day. "What's that squeaking noise?"
Old 05-02-2023, 10:37 AM   #52

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
V10 rattle/squeak (Serpentine belt harmonic vibration)

Check out the parts needed in my earlier posting and you will not spend a better $45 on your RV. After three trips still no rattle/squeak.
DocMike

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, squeak, squeal, v10, vacuum