Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2020, 08:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31L
State: Georgia
THOR #16870
Ford V10 squeaking noise at steady throttle

I have a Ford V10 with 15,000 miles in a Four Winds Class C 31L that is making a squeaking type noise under steady throttle. If I accelerate or decelerate the noise goes away. It sounds similar to a belt squeal/squeak but seems that would make noise more of the time. My guess would be some vacuum related issue, but was hoping someone else knew the solution. Thanks in advance for any help. Thanks, Mike

Old 03-31-2020, 01:09 AM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #17202
I have a 2020 four winds 28A that does the same thing, except mine only occurs at about 2100 RPM. Doesn't matter what gear or speed, at 2100 RPM, I hear a squeak squeak squeak noise coming from the front drivers side. I would love to know what it is. I haven't tried mine with the AC off yet. It sounds like it could possibly be a squeaky pulley or belt. Any chance you could get a video clip of the sound?

Pete
Old 03-31-2020, 06:43 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 31L
State: Georgia
THOR #16870
I will try to later this week Pete. I really have never looked at the RPM gauge, I notice it anywhere from 50ish to 65ish. Over 65 there is usually enough "pull" from the engine it doesn't make the sound. Mine makes it no matter if the ac is on or off. Seems odd I can make it start and stop just lightly pressing or letting off the accelerator. Doesn't seem a belt would be doing that, but I'm no mechanic.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:26 PM   #4

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I have the same issue on my 2017 24F. It happens right at 2100RPM. I read somewhere else that low octane gas could be the issue. Mine sounds more like a rattle - tappet like.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:44 PM   #5

THOR #17202
Laid to the law:
Mine does it in any gear while accelerating, as long as I reach 2100 RPM before the shift. I tried duplicating it stationary, in neutral, revving to 2100. Nothing.

While cruising at 2100 RPM in top of gear, about 67 mph, it goes away when shifted into neutral and engine speed is maintained. Immediately comes back under load. I was thinking it of balance pulley or belt that reaches its harmonics at that sweet spot, causing the squeak.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:50 PM   #6

THOR #17202
Jimbo12:
You described it perfectly. However my noise leans slightly more towards a squeaky, very short repetitive squeal and not as solid or tinny as valve noise.

There has to be a 6.8L V-10 guru in here that knows exactly what we are talking about.

Do you know what octane would fix it? 55 gallons of premium would add up fast over cheap regular.

Thanks guys.

Peter
Old 04-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
On my 5.3 Chevy that exact noise upon gas pedal movement under load was simply the injectors shooting gas through a tiny orifice.
I could hear it, the spousal unit could hear it, most people couldn't hear it.
If I attuned myself to it, I bet I could hear it on the Ford V10.

Alternators can whine a specific whine at a certain rpm as they go from charge to static.

There are about 1,000 seperate noises in any engine and they all change at any given rpm or load. You've just attuned to certain ones.
An air cleaner can develop a whistle at certain engine changes just by the position of a bug on the filter.

Any good truck driver can hear any change in any engine he drives.
You've become a conscious driver is about all that's going in with that noise.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:46 PM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Just throwing this out there. My last MH developed a squeak that came and went drove me bonkers.(wasn’t a far drive) Wouldn’t do it sitting still. Turned out to be a wheel cover on the passenger side. At a certain speed the wheel cover would vibrate and cause a squeak.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:03 PM   #9

THOR #9511
My noise is definitely engine related and happens at 2100 rpm or so. Goes right away above or below that rpm. I’m gonna to try to find the V10 performance curves and try to figure it out. Oh, and it seems to be on the drivers side of the engine.

I found this a while back.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...ine-10832.html
Old 04-01-2020, 07:15 PM   #10

Model: Freedom elite 30fe
State: South Carolina
THOR #14612
This is a common problem in all v10. I have 2017 freedom elite with 10000 miles. At around 2100 rpm and speed of 65mph noise starts. And goes away if you pick your foot of accelerator or cross that mph. At 70mph rpm are higher, no noise. I tried to call my local ford dealership, but no one wants to work on rv. I talked to my mechanic and he told me not to worry about it. He also mentioned regarding engine filter. If any one whose coach is still under warranty can find ford dealership in there area who can work on rv, I would recommend to take it there. I am also trying to do that. They can get us the answer since this is common problem. I have not seen any recalls yet. Please keep posted if any one finds out.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:18 PM   #11

THOR #14612
Also someone posted a video on YouTube regarding this sound. If anyone gets chance look at that video and you can hear that sound in that. If everyone gets a similar sound that’s in video, at least We all will know we have the same problem. I will try to find the link and post it.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:33 AM   #12

THOR #9511
He is the video and yes, this close to the same noise I have.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:56 AM   #13

THOR #14612
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
He is the video and yes, this close to the same noise I have.

Thanks for posting the video link. This is the same video I was talking about.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:33 PM   #14

State: Tennessee
THOR #16656
I have a 2015 Thor with 7,000 miles. I developed a random squeak and it drove me crazy. Turned out it was the serpentine belt slipping. Changed the belt and fixed the problem.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:39 PM   #15

Model: RC25
THOR #11860
Serpentine Belt Had Junk On IT

had the exact same problem, ford mechanic cleaned the belt and it was gone, perfect for the last 20k miles, my noise was at exactly 2000 rpm's not below, not above go figure.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:55 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #7188
Serpentine belt

It's the serpentine belt.
On mine it occurs around 2100 RPM while under a load, and has been a nuisance for the entire life of the engine. Twice when the unit was at the Ford dealer, I have logged the complaint with the service manager. They will not fix it. A mechanic I respect said never to use belt dressing... not sure why.
The only solutions are to change the belt or not cruise at 2100 RPM.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #17

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #14200
Whistle sound around 2100Rpm

My 16 ACE 30.1 when new for the first 2 -3 years would make what sounds like your describing. A whistle noise.
Finally it went away.
This April on my return trip from Florida, in the rain it did it again. I've been curious where this is coming from, very annoying.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:11 PM   #18
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman68 View Post
My 16 ACE 30.1 when new for the first 2 -3 years would make what sounds like your describing. A whistle noise.
Finally it went away.
This April on my return trip from Florida, in the rain it did it again. I've been curious where this is coming from, very annoying.
From the grill. Common problem especially in the rain. Attach a screen behind it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:43 PM   #19

THOR #10036
Doghouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid to the Law View Post
I have a Ford V10 with 15,000 miles in a Four Winds Class C 31L that is making a squeaking type noise under steady throttle. If I accelerate or decelerate the noise goes away. It sounds similar to a belt squeal/squeak but seems that would make noise more of the time. My guess would be some vacuum related issue, but was hoping someone else knew the solution. Thanks in advance for any help. Thanks, Mike
I had a bad pulley on my old Southwind. It sounded like what You described. Chevy mfg found all of the pulleys were out of alignment.They fixed it and no more squeak.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:17 PM   #20

State: Louisiana
THOR #11627
Take a bar of hand soap and let the engine run and apply it to the belts. Thi worked on the older belts it should be worth a try

Tags
ford, squeak, squeal, v10, vacuum