Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2017, 03:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
THOR #1414
Four Winds 31W Lippert slide error 9 red flashes

2015 four winds 31W... with the long slide.....

This weekend had the slide malfunction. It went out halfway, and then quit. I looked and there were no flashing lights on the controller. I pulled out the 30 amp fuse inside at the panel- wasn't broke, so replaced it.

Then I looked at the panel again and it was flashing 9 red flashes. the controller said something about that being hall power short to controller. I followed the directions to manually close the slide and that worked.

Two questions:
1) the site we were at was at a national park. It was low to the rear and to the left. I used some pads and leveled manually. Even though I got it level, the bathroom door wouldn't latch shut... could the rv be "flexed" somehow and could that have contributed to the slide problem?

2) Is there a way to reset the controller and test it at home? Will just pulling the power from the controller clear it?

thanks!

Old 05-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubravsky View Post

This weekend had the slide malfunction. It went out halfway, and then quit. I looked and there were no flashing lights on the controller. I pulled out the 30 amp fuse inside at the panel- wasn't broke, so replaced it.

Then I looked at the panel again and it was flashing 9 red flashes. the controller said something about that being hall power short to controller. I followed the directions to manually close the slide and that worked.

Two questions:
1) the site we were at was at a national park. It was low to the rear and to the left. I used some pads and leveled manually. Even though I got it level, the bathroom door wouldn't latch shut... could the rv be "flexed" somehow and could that have contributed to the slide problem?

2) Is there a way to reset the controller and test it at home? Will just pulling the power from the controller clear it?

thanks!
In addition to the red light flashing 9 times, you should also have the green light flashing once (if it is motor 1) or twice (if it is motor 2). I have this problem intermittently with my overhead bunk and have taken it to the dealer on 2 occasions (since it is still under warranty). Of course, once I got to the dealer's the lights were no longer flashing and the service department could not replicate the error lights. I was told that they checked all of the connections and motors and still came up empty. They made a note about the problem and said that at least it was documented should it occur again and would be a covered repair.

I did do the manual override you described and the lights went off. Since I don't intend on ever using the overhead bunk, it's not an immediate problem for me, but I would like to make sure that everything is working as intended before the warranty period is up. So, I'll be following this thread to see if others have the same issue.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:34 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:

Two questions:

thanks!
Sounds like what happened on our shakedown cruise. Wire came unplugged from the motor. Thor authorized a mobile tech who found the problem charged me 90.00 and then Thor reimbursed me for the bill.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:40 PM   #4

THOR #1414
I'll check the wiring, but the manual override worked to put the slide in, so I'm thinking that may not be it...

Anyone know how to reset the controller? I'm planning to unplug it here at home and test it before taking it in....
Old 05-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Virginia
THOR #5560
Your manual should tell you how to go about doing a controller reset. I believe mine says to push the green button on the controller 7 times, this will also sync up the motors to the slide.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #6

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
Quote:
I'll check the wiring, but the manual override worked to put the slide in, so I'm thinking that may not be it...

Anyone know how to reset the controller? I'm planning to unplug it here at home and test it before taking it in....
Ours acted funny after two "auto levels" when we brought it home.....we "re-calibrated" and then it was errors again.....yes, unplug the controller for at least 3 minutes.....then after you plug in, (this is how ours works so your model may be different) engage parking break...turn ignition to acc while the bells and whistles get engaged...start engine...let run for a minute or two while you go to jack panel---does it come on...can you toggle with arrow to stats like battery etc...what is your voltage there? if not about 13 you will get errors on lippert anything!. If you are clear try to manual deploy jacks or in this case slides, to play with it.....if you are not clear, it might be a bad controller and/or ground. After we fooled with our levelers 3 more times it reverted back to errors.....we called the our service dealer first and did troubleshooting, we called Thor and did troubleshooting and then we went back to dealer service, determined it was the controller, made appt for him to swap out from another unit and send parts back to Thor on his time...did it same day before lunch. Never use auto level anyway it's too rough and inaccurate and we have not had one issue since. Hope this helps!
Old 05-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #7

THOR #1414
Update- got it home, removed power to controller for 10 minutes, leveled the rig, and the slide worked just fine. I'm wondering now if it was the site and me leveling it incorrectly.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:50 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5725
I am having inconsistent slide problems as well; when I unplugged power from the controller the contact was very loose; I had power to the controller (flashing lights) but maybe not enough voltage to allow movement? How was your connection?
Old 05-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #9

THOR #1414
Mine seemed ok... pretty firm connection.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:22 PM   #10

Model: 31e Four Winds
State: Delaware
THOR #7159
Unplug and plug it back in several times. Found on mine just a slight amount of corrosion. This resolved the issue.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:53 PM   #11

Model: Outlaw 29h
State: New Jersey
THOR #8445
Hi... I have a similar issue with flashing red lights on my Outlaw 29h Class C. The slide is in. I didn’t know I had a problem until Was kneeling down to pick something up. Then I saw the red light. It was flashing 9 times and green light one time. But I don’t understand why. The slide has been in all winter. No problem the last time it was used either. I’m not sure if I should just hit the reset button or what. I don’t want to extend the slide & have a problem or get it half in & half out. All suggestions appreciated.. Thank you.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:30 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
This Thor Customer Service Video might help.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:14 PM   #13

Model: Outlaw 29h
State: New Jersey
THOR #8445
Thank you. I’m out to the RV in a little while. I’ll try this and post update.