Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
THOR #1414
Four Winds Slide- error message "short to motor #2"

2015 Four Winds 31W w/full size slide.

Went out to open slide- and the rear motor appeared to start (moved less than 1"), nothing from front motor.

Checked error code at the controller and it said short between controller and motor #2. Called Thor, and they said it was most likely a short in the wiring harness and would send out a new one (8 days ago). The tech felt that it was a "doable repair" for me.

Questions:

1)Anyone else had this happen? I'm hoping I'm not waiting for a harness that isn't the problem if the motor is messed up.

2) I was planning to attach the new harness without fishing it through to completely install and test it first to make sure it works. Good idea?

3) Any idea of Thor's turnaround time to get something like this shipped to me? Wondering when to call back and ask where it is.

Thanks for any input....

Dave

Old 01-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I got the same error on my controller on the shake down cruise. My problem was the same in that one motor took out the slide part way while the other motor quit working and then the slide jammed about 6 inches open.

The problem was the cable on the one motor came unplugged from the motor because Thor forgot to install the bulb seal which serves as a wire chase. Thor reimbursed me for mobile support who found the problem and had me going in 15 minutes.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:52 PM   #3

THOR #1414
Dave,

Thanks for the input.... I saw one of your old posts on that and checked it first thing... both ends are connected. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting at each end- no luck .
Old 01-07-2016, 02:04 AM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
Not sure if yours is single or multi slide. If multi slide you may try swapping a cable from one to the other to verify that is the problem.

You may also try borrowing the cable from the overhead bunk if you have one and it is long enough. The overhead bunk may use the same controller and slide motors as the slides.
FMCA - F432054
Old 01-07-2016, 03:45 AM   #5

THOR #1414
Single slide unfortunately......
Old 01-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #6

THOR #1414
Well... the new wiring harness arrived, and I hooked it up and it didn't make a difference.... looks like the rig is headed for the dealer to be repaired .
Old 01-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #1469
Did you try replacing the cable on both sides of the slide?

One thing I read this morning, for which I was not previously aware, when the controller flashes the error codes the number of green flashes between the red sequences indicates the motor which is having the problem.

For example 8 red flashes then 2 green indicates a short in the wiring for motor 2 whereas 8 red flashes then 1 green indicates a short in the wiring for motor 1.

which motor is plugged into 1 and which is plugged into 2 however is anyone's guess.
FMCA - F432054
Old 01-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #8

THOR #1414
I didn't try that... but when I go to extend the slide, the rear motor turns on, and the rear begins to move, but the motor at the front side doesn't do anything. So I assumed that it was the front motor that was #2 (the error message flashed the green twice indicating #2 motor).
Old 01-27-2016, 11:38 PM   #9

THOR #1414
Just as an update- I took it to the local dealer and they diagnosed it as a bad slide controller... waiting on a replacement from Lippert.