Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2021, 08:56 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
That was exactly my thought, the panel is easy to take off.
I think the point is; it shouldn't come down to that. If an auto maker had cars that were this bad, they'd be out of business, but being an RV, we give a wink and a nudge, and say it's ok, I'll fix it, and I think the RV industry knows that, and that is one reason quality is so poor.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:51 PM   #42

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
I am not sure how much time we have left on earth but being in an elite group (many out of work food banks in my area, etc) i feel fortunate to have a motorhome where we can almost travel anywhere in the USA for a few dollars and see places most folks dream of. I am staying 101% positive to have such a vehicle
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:07 PM   #43
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Amen!
Old 05-15-2021, 01:11 AM   #44
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I have said it before, until there is a published and accepted Quality Standard for RVs the perception of quality or lack thereof is nothing more than ones opinion.

The auto industry has quality standards the RV industry does not. There can be no comparison between the two.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:09 AM   #45

Model: 22E
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I have said it before, until there is a published and accepted Quality Standard for RVs the perception of quality or lack thereof is nothing more than ones opinion.

The auto industry has quality standards the RV industry does not. There can be no comparison between the two.
They are a house on wheels with quality standards of neither an auto or home.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:26 AM   #46

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Having owned a few of these contraptions over 4 decades my expectations are unfortunately low. When we are on the road quite frankly my main concern is when something breaks down can I fix it? Or if not can I rig it up so we can continue the trip till we get it home and take it in for service.
I am racking my brain to recall a trip in any of the RV's we have owned where something didn't go kaput over a 4 to 6 week trip. 2018 trip my Invisibrake controller went out on the toad. Last trip in our old rig the transmission on Chevy Gulfstream took a dump in Butte Montana. Year before that lost the ATS in Washington state and the list goes on.
When they start building RV's with same QC standards as automobiles that will be a good thing but me thinks most folks will be priced out of the market there will be no more entry level coaches.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:36 AM   #47

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
A trunk monkey might be the key to an answer for rude people at the gas station. There are a few funny commercials featuring the trunk monkey.

Paul
Old 05-15-2021, 03:32 AM   #48

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
A trunk monkey might be the key to an answer for rude people at the gas station. There are a few funny commercials featuring the trunk monkey.

Paul
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11282017235...QAAOSwOghf3CXN
My airhorn button says
Trunk monkey
on it.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:43 AM   #49

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdpok View Post
How did they end up fixing it? I have the same issue with the dinette window? Would love to replace it but would settle for just a remedy to the situation!!
They had the company they get the windows from redesign the window. The window was so tall that air passing over the side of the coach would actually create a vacuum and pull the window away from the frame, it could only pull out so far and then slam shut, it would happen really fast. This is on my XG32 Omni. The 2021 models have the new window, the same one they put in mine.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:08 PM   #50

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
They are a house on wheels with quality standards of neither an auto or home.

When we retired we bought a new entry level condo (I.e. builder grade) for our primary residence. It has had more problems than any new RV - leaking toilet, leaking roof, miswired outlets, peeling paint, debris under vinyl flooring, misaligned cabinet drawers, cheapest possible light and plumbing fixtures, etc. The builder was rather a SOB and the brainless subs he used were no help. But now after a couple of years of work and upgrades everything is pretty good. I think it’s just the way much of modern American culture is. I roll with it and don’t let it fuzz me up much. Life’s too short.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:43 PM   #51

Model: 22E
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
When we retired we bought a new entry level condo (I.e. builder grade) for our primary residence. It has had more problems than any new RV - leaking toilet, leaking roof, miswired outlets, peeling paint, debris under vinyl flooring, misaligned cabinet drawers, cheapest possible light and plumbing fixtures, etc. The builder was rather a SOB and the brainless subs he used were no help. But now after a couple of years of work and upgrades everything is pretty good. I think it’s just the way much of modern American culture is. I roll with it and don’t let it fuzz me up much. Life’s too short.
If you paid and rectified all those issues on your Condo, then shame on you.
Most municipalities have licensing boards, and will fine contractors for items that are not up to code.
They can even lose their license.
That is how crappy workmanship gets rectified in houses.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:54 PM   #52

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
If you paid and rectified all those issues on your Condo, then shame on you.

Most municipalities have licensing boards, and will fine contractors for items that are not up to code.

They can even lose their license.

That is how crappy workmanship gets rectified in houses.

Well that’s the thing...with the possible exception of two miswired outlets it IS up to code. The stuff I experienced was just sloppy workmanship and ultra cheap Chinese products. And the building codes are why it is acceptable to me now that I’ve done my repairs and upgrades. The foundation, framing, insulation electrical and plumbing service (with the aforementioned wiring exception) are standard and safe. But things like an over tightened (cracked) toilet bowl, sloppy roof flashing, and (cheap) paint applied in 20 degree winter weather are not really code issues.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:36 PM   #53

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
I think the point is; it shouldn't come down to that. If an auto maker had cars that were this bad, they'd be out of business, but being an RV, we give a wink and a nudge, and say it's ok, I'll fix it, and I think the RV industry knows that, and that is one reason quality is so poor.
You shouldn’t have to Rhys correct, but something that simply isn’t worth getting upset for. You can expect the same quality as a car for the prices. I wish you could but a manufacturer's wouldn’t last selling at the prices with car standards.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:03 PM   #54

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It can all be so much easier.
'Included in my contract you will add 5 hours of labor. I will pay for this labor. The dealer will go over my vehicle end to end and fix whatever is required to be fixed. If I find anything your expert team missed I will not take delivery'. This burdens them with fixxing items and this burdens you with having to pre-aquire some knowledge.
This should fix the loose screws and window whistles.

It's the same as tacking that QC five hours to your sales price except those of us with the knowledge of what type of KIT we bought don't have to pay to underwrite your inability by way of Thor tacking five hours more onto the build cost.

You bought a low line rv for the least money you could possibly spend. You can't begin to dispute this.
Did You even ask if paying msrp would buy you a better delivery and a hard core going over of every screw and bolt? Did you ask for a better radio due to the axxera research you did prior to purchase?

Be an intelligent being and realize dollar store purchases are not Tiffany items.
You really really really really do yourself a giant disservice by showing the inane thought process you've used to become a member of the
Insipid
Victim
Club

Some people aren't happy unless they aren't happy.
Sometimes it's a loose screw in the cardboard rolling house they bought, sometimes it's the third spouse making them unhappy. Same unhappy. Same happy at being unhappy.

It really tells a lot.

You have to wonder if the rv purchase was made because life was just.going.too.well....

This is written to those who are, intelligently, learning about thor and motorhomes BEFORE making a purchase so they'll have a reasonable expectation and not some self involved, too late/hindsight dream of builders doing best possible quality work to meet the lowest possible pricepoint, THAT YOU STILL GRIND THEM TO LOWER. I hope it gives you some small reason to question if a whistling window is or is not unreasonable in a cardboard house made of 100,000+ components, then sold as a whole unit at the dollar store.

Read what's not said in the tirades. The space between the words is almost always the real story.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:08 PM   #55
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Paul
. Didn't you love those commercials?
Old 05-15-2021, 06:29 PM   #56

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi Bob

They were very funny. They also had a point(if you can call it that).

Paul
Old 05-16-2021, 12:11 PM   #57
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
QC update.,,,
While waiting for our rig to be brought out front to us at the dealership: I spent some time talking with one of the Sales Goobers.
Quality of build popped up in our discussions, and he said that it has definitely slipped in the Tiffin line-up also.
They're pushing to get every rig out the door A.S.A.P.; in an attempt to keep up with demand. Every unit they get in needs at least a couple of issues taken care of; before they even think of putting it out for sale.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:15 PM   #58
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Back to the Monkeys...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping world too, disgruntled vs gruntled, thor is trash