Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2019, 01:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation 24ST
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #14979
Winterizing a 2017 Citation

Hello All,

I realize there have been many post about winterizing. However, I cannot seem to find one specific to winterizing a Citation/Siesta. We have a 2017 Citation with a Girard tankless water heater.

The previous owner bypassed the water heater and the copper tubing split. I do not plan to bypass the water heater, but I am curious how to get the anti-freeze into/through the system efficiently.

Your help and feedback is appreciated...

Old 10-16-2019, 01:19 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
I have a 2017 Citation, but not the tankless WH. Mine has a drain plug, that I open and drain out the water. Manual says that should be sufficient. I don't like getting RV antifreeze in the WH. I use an air compressor attached to the "winterize" fitting in the left rear water bay and blow out all the lines (all sink faucets, etc open). I put a gallon of RV antifreeze in the toilet and flush leaving a little in the bowl. I pour some in each of the sink & shower drains and make sure I get plenty into the grey tank.

I pull the chassis battery disconnect (by the accelerator pedal). I take a picture of the 2 house batteries under the step, then remove them and take them home to keep the warm and charged. (I park my MH 2.5 miles away.)

That's it. We get some January & February temps down into the teens. I haven't had any problems in 3 years.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation 24SS
State: Arkansas
THOR #16991
Winterizing 24SS 2017

I had seen all sorts of threads like you.
1. I bought a garden hose to air hose connector on amazon.
2. In Water Tank Compartment open drain valve at bottom of tank to drain the holding tank, with tank dry I do not put anti-freeze in it (right or wrong, it's not that cold in Arkansas inside my shop)
3. I connect the new connector to the water inlet and set the switch to 'Normal'
4. Open the Kitchen Sink Cold water (furthest away from supply) and drain till air comes through.
5. Open the Kitchen Sink Hot Water, drain till air comes through.
6. Open Bathroom Sink (cold then hot)
7. Open Bathroom Shower (Cold then hot)
8. Open Outside Shower (cold then hot)
9. To put Anti-Freeze in I have a short piece of tubing I slide over the connector and put the other end in Anti-Freeze bottle.
10. I go to the Kitchen Sink and Open cold and use shopvac to pull the anti-freeze into the lines and repeat for all sinks and shower.

This usually takes me about 15-20 minutes, I know some people like to disconnect the batteries but I like to periodically discharge them by leaving something on then letting the inverter charge them again, I leave a 20amp connection for fridge all winter. We use throughout the winter though to go watch our son play basketball in college so we forgo the anti-freeze now and just blow out the lines, takes only a few minutes and don't have to drain the anti-freeze each time.

Good Luck, hope you enjoy your rig.