Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Colorado
THOR #9249
Fresh water tank not draining Vegas

I have a 2016 Vegas 24.1, I opened low point drain for fresh water tank and getting just a slow trickle that slowed to a drip. Left overnight and still did not drain. I drained it last year and this summer with no problems. The valve is parallel to the pipe which I believe is open and I cracked a faucet thinking an air lock of some sort. Maybe the airlock is in my brain and am missing something simple.
Any ideas?

Old 10-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Plastic shavings in the tank. Can you blow some air back through the drain?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I am not familiar with the Vegas plumbing so if the drain line and its associated valve come directly from the fresh tank I would suspect plastic bits (from when Thor drilled pipe holes in the fresh tank) are partially plugging the line or the valve. The other issue may be the vent line to the fresh tank has water in it or is plugged somehow. You could just open the fresh water fill cap to allow air in or just blow any water out of the vent line to clear it. Opening taps to allow air in will help drain lines on the high pressure side of the water pump but not on the low pressure (water tank) side of the pump. When you use your water pump to draw from the fresh water tank (with valves set appropriately) are there any issues with low water flow or water pressure from the open tap? If not, then the fresh tank outflow through the water filter and pump would seem clear of obstructions. Usually plastic bits fill the filter screen during the camping season and may do so for several years until they clear.
So the issue could be a possible blockage in the separate drain line. If it is plastic bits and the drain line is a separate line from the fresh tank, you could try blowing some air back up the drain line to force the plastic bits back into the fresh tank to see if that fixes things temporarily, but water outflow may just bring them back into the drain line again (or the pump feed port into the filter). You may have to temporarily bypass the drain valve (remove and reinstall) and see if the bits can free flow out of the tank and drain line (if that is the problem).
Old 10-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah the Axis/Vegas fresh water tanks are notorious for draining slow.

If you're in a hurry use the outside shower or the low point drains and the pump. When I put it away for the season I just leave the drain valve open as it does take quite a bit of time to empty.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #5

THOR #9249
Removing city fill did not help, and yes the water pump is real slow as Javelin suggested.

Can't try to blow air until tomorrow but will post the results, I did not know about the plastic shavings.
Thanks.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #6

THOR #9249
I do not see a vent line as Javelin suggests. Does the Vegas have one?
Old 10-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #7

THOR #9249
I just tried the redneck approach and blew through a short length of hose and viola‘, problem solved!
Thanks fellas, you can just take the rest of the day off.

Steve
Old 10-14-2018, 06:06 PM   #8

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Can you tell my wife I can take the rest of the day off?

Congrats on moving the bits.....they will be back eventually so if your pump flow is low then you likely have a water filter screen full of bits too. Easy to clean there. Make sure after cleaning bits there are no cracks in the filter lid or body and no seal air leaks......or the pump will suck air instead of water next time you go to use it.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #9

THOR #9249
Where would I find the filter screen on the water pump and check for the air leaks? Do I remove the pump?
Thanks again.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcouple View Post
Where would I find the filter screen on the water pump and check for the air leaks? Do I remove the pump?
Thanks again.
Not really a filter screen, more of a strainer. It should be connected to the pump on the input side.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote