Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2018, 11:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #11616
Smile Freshwater leak while on city water.

After hooking up to city water I noticed a leak from the freshwater tank opening after applying city water pressure.

I wish I could remember where I saw this trick, but it's a simple fix if the problem really is a little bit of debris in the pump system.

First, shut off your city water and switch on your fresh water pump.

Next, run a combination of hot and cold water at your kitchen sink faucet for about 15 seconds and shut off th faucet. Then repeat that process half a dozen times.

Then shut your waterpump off and restart your city water.

This little trick worked just fine. Saved me from thinking then I might have to replace the pump.

Hope this helps someone who has the same problem.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:59 PM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Neat trick, thanks for sharing. And welcome to the forum!

Your ID just says Thor, which is almost everybody here. What is your coach, and your story?
Old 09-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #16504
Mine is doing the same thing. I tried running the water pump, but didn't think to use hot water. I have a 2018 hurricane. I can't even locate the pump. So far, no one I've ask has an idea where it is. I even have a call into my dealer service and they are stumped, but still looking. The problem is, when the pump is on the pipes reverberate all through the coach so it's hard to follow the sound.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:06 AM   #4

State: Illinois
THOR #12548
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftemp View Post
Mine is doing the same thing. I tried running the water pump, but didn't think to use hot water. I have a 2018 hurricane. I can't even locate the pump. So far, no one I've ask has an idea where it is. I even have a call into my dealer service and they are stumped, but still looking. The problem is, when the pump is on the pipes reverberate all through the coach so it's hard to follow the sound.
I see from your handle that you have a 34J--same as me.

Your water pump is under your master bed. You'll have to prop up the mattress, tilting it towards the front of the MH. You'll see a 24"x24" cutout on the wood panel. Open that towards the end of the bed (way from the headboard) and you'll find the pump, cleanup filter, and winterizing connections all right there.

I took Dynamat (the thin tar-paper kind) and lined the floor and the walls, and re-installed the pump onto to that. I also installed a vibration damping kit (really, it's just some pass-through connections and softer/flexible tubing). Doing those two things significantly helped (but did not eliminate) the vibrations coming from the pump when it turned on.

As an additional item, I also installed a pressurized water bladder as well. It's about the size of a football and is directly downstream from the pump. It stores just enough water that will allow someone to quickly flush a toilet or take a small glass of water without kicking on that pump and waking up my wife who sleeps directly above that thing. ;-)
Old 09-11-2019, 08:24 PM   #5

THOR #16504
Thanks Cwray! It was exactly where you said. The other info is also good to have. My pump itself doesn't make much noise. I sleep in that spot above and hardly hear it. But the pipes do reverberate down stream, which is why I had such a hard time finding it. The loudest noise in my coach sounds like it's under the shower. Crazy! But thank you very much for helping me out!!!

Tags
freshwater opening leak