Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2020, 03:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Kentucky
THOR #18163
Palazzo woes

We purchased Palazzo 36.1 in 2018. 18 months in and the issues just keep piling up. Dealership had it longer than we did and some of the repairs still not right. Does anyone keep the RV long enough to fight through the problems? We are close to trading it at a loss. Door flies open, windows don’t close, the under belly is sagged and looks like it would fall out. Not writing about the dozen other issues it has.

Old 02-22-2020, 05:33 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
If you don't write about the other problems how are we supposed to help?
I'm not sure what you're looking for as an answer.

We don't know from your post if it's a failed latch or if they replaced a part or why the stay in a shop.
Someone on this forum said they took their Thor to the shop for warranty because of sawdust left over from assembly of the coach....

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:13 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo
State: Kentucky
THOR #18163
Palazzo woes

The window just happened . We stopped at a rest area, unscrewed the knob, removed the screen to straighten the arms. Pulled it back in using another knob. Now the microwave has error messages about connections. Every time we go out something else happens. The washer dumps water into the floor. It’s been back twice for that. The shower door was installed upside down. The shower stall isn’t tight to the walls. Back twice for that. (Says can’t be fixed) The list of problems just build. So are Thors bad or fixable?
Old 02-22-2020, 06:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Well Duck, not everyone posts looking for help. His only question regarded others experience with their new Thor coach. Since I didn't buy my coach new and I work through any problems that may arise myself I couldn't answer his "maybe" rhetorical question.

Some people come here just to vent, some hoping to sway others with their bad experiences, some just wanting company in their misery.

Some are so overwhelmed by the multitude of systems in an RV that any minor problem becomes a major obstacle. They expected to "buy a car" and just drive it happily from place to place without having to interact with any more than opening the door and turning a key.

I'm not saying that applies to the OP, but it does apply to a lot of buyers that have the pipe dream of retiring to an RV and tour the country.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDeb View Post
The list of problems just build. So are Thors bad or fixable?
This problem applies to most mass produced RVs, not just Thors. There are plenty of happy Thor owners and plenty of frustrated, disappointed Thor owners. A lot depends on your dealer but unless you buy a high end RV you will always have issues that need fixin. Even the high end RVs have that problem as well.

If you problems are as bad as you make them out to be call Thor and make an appointment at their repair facility. You won't get better service for your RV anywhere. Many dealers can't find competent help and the service departments are overwhelmed. Once you get the issues ironed out and in the rearview mirror I hope you have a much better RVing experience.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:42 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Thor are junk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDeb View Post
So are Thors bad or fixable?
Thor's are repairable if you do it yourself! I had mine back to dealer once - local dealer did a great job. All other repairs I fix myself as then I know they get done correct. No one has the interested or commitment to your RV than you. Dealerships quality workmanship is so often just as bad as Thor factory.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:09 PM   #7

State: Illinois
THOR #13262
I hope you didn't take it to CW like we did we found a local dealer to fix warranty work after CW couldn't fix ours. Ours was at the shop a lot in the first year and we had the same thoughts as you but we couldn't afford to lose that much money trading it in. Now we are happy campers and love our Sprinter chateau hopefully you will get through the rough times too.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:54 PM   #8

Model: palazzo
State: Tennessee
THOR #2652
Smile Bought used 36.1

My Palazzo was 3 years old when I bought it and wonder if it had similar problems as yours for the original owner that he had fixed, then sold it. I had some issues as well, including the 20 ft slide mechanisms replacement, transfer switch, and some minor items in the first two years, but in the last three years I have been pretty much a happy camper. Of course, I have fixed a few things myself.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:18 AM   #9

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
Sorry for your problems. I have a 2015 Palazzo. Our most serious issue was the large left slide repair, fixed twice and then broke a third time. Finally repaired by Lippert factory and so far holding OK. Other issues were minor and I self repaired. RVs are like a marriage- fun and rewarding, but expect some bumps along the way and some hard work.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #10

Model: Aria 3601
State: North Carolina
THOR #5972
2019 Thor Aria 3601

When we bought our 2019 Thor Aria 3601, we had several problems with it. It ended up at Freightliner for a/c repairs and at CW several times for repairs. Thor always called to find out if the repairs had been taken care of. We love our Aria now and have enjoyed camping in it very much. If you are ever in NC and need warranty repairs, go to CW in Colfax, NC. Jason Myers, one of the service advisors is absolutely the BEST. I do not recommend CW in Garner, NC. They were the selling dealer and we did not have a good experience there. We bought our 2016 ACE at CW in Colfax, NC. When we decided to trade on the Aria, we went to Colfax CW and they did not sell new diesel pushers. Found what we wanted in Garner, NC but would not do business there again. Get the bugs out and I promise you'll love it!!!!
Old 03-08-2020, 09:52 PM   #11

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
Our 2018 Palazzo 33.2 is back in the shop for a 2nd delaminated bedroom window and some leaks and floor repairs caused by the 1st poor window replacement.
Like others have said, most of the repairs are due to either poor original workmanship (loose hydraulic line on jacks, loose kitchen drawer frame, loose AC duct/divider, loose generator flywheel bolts, etc.), but those did not impact our trips too badly. The other issues were poor services which created as many issues as they solved or doubled or tripled he amount of time it had to be in the shop (like the current issue). Only a couple of things have been defective parts (the PDM recall, shades and dual pane window issues).
While all together it sounds bad, but the fun has outweighed the pain so far and we're hoping we've resolved most of the issues going forward, at least we hope so because we have a lot of traveling planned this year and continuing for years to come!
Old 03-08-2020, 10:11 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
It took a year of ownership of our Hurricane before we took a trip without finding something new to fix. Using my coach as an example, I decided Thor either has no quality control department or the worst one in manfucaturing history. Lucky for me, I am retired and can fix almost anything. The good news is that none of the components have had faults. The slide worka well, the heater and A/C although a bit under powered, are okay. The powertrain is a beast with plenty of power. No major plumbing issues, even the much maligned dash radio works. If you have patience and some mechanical skill, you can survive the piss poor assembly of your coach and end up with a nice motorthome that will provide years of enjoyment.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:06 AM   #13
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Purchased a used 2013 Thor Palazzo 33.2 with 8K miles. One relay failed that I fixed, and thankfully purchased an extended warranty that is replacing the inside frame with the swintec slide gear rails and all. I was promised that the new frame is much stronger than the original. It was redesigned. Poop happens and I can fix most small things, electrical, water, appliances, etc., but have no space to remove a slide. My dealership has all RVDA/RVIA certified techs. Had a leak in the front bearing seal. Previous owner had replaced the front brakes do to a front bearing seal leak. Took it to an independent service center with RVDA/RVIA certified techs and they verified that the brakes were almost new. They think that the person that did the job had banged and pushed the seal to score it when they put the drum back on. So far so good. Only had to replace the shoes and seals on one side do to oil on them. Will there be other things? It is an RV so yes. Just make sure your dealer is not putting service work on the back burner and not feeding you a line of &*$%%%(). I am in communication with my dealer and the service manager through texting every three days. Waiting for the parts to arrive now. They let me know at each stage the status and the projected finish date.

One thing is that many blame the manufacture for failures of equipment designed and manufactured by others. The warranty for ovens, stoves, washers and driers, TV's, etc. are by the manufactures of the appliances. So do not blame appliance problems on the coach manufactures. Improper install of them is the coach builders problem. And if you have not noticed I search out and only use service places with RVDA/RVIA certified techs.

Tags
poor quality