Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2021, 07:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Thank you Judge.

So, I was reading some old posts about battery charging issues and came accross Judges posts about the BIM being mis-wired. I thought, sure that could happen once in awhile, but I'm sure ours is fine, I mean they were built in different factories and everything right?

But then I got to thinking (sometimes that hurts a little) and remembered that when we have been dry camping, especially when using the furnace, and our house batteries drop in voltage, so have our chassis batteries. It hasn't caused any real issues, but I thought it was weird.

So I started doing a couple of experiments, and guess what? When our chassis batteries were completely disconnected, the chassis still had juice. Headlights, dash fan, everything. Huh. Obviously, things were tied together somewhere. I looked at Judges post again about how the BIM should be wired, and yup, backwards. Switched things around and everything seems to be working as desired.

Again, thank you Chris for your accurate and detailed posts. Good luck in Tucson, let us know how that turns out.

Mike

Old 10-25-2021, 10:31 PM   #2
LDK

State: Colorado
THOR #13190
Hi Mike. I struggled to find Judges post. Can you point me to it? Ty!
Old 10-25-2021, 11:48 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Even the schematics provided by Thor show it wired backwards. No wonder they keep doing it that way. And don't bother telling Thor. They won't listen.

David
Old 10-26-2021, 03:23 AM   #4

State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDK View Post
Hi Mike. I struggled to find Judges post. Can you point me to it? Ty!
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ade-21327.html
Old 10-26-2021, 03:43 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
While posting Thor documentation is very helpful here, I was sternly reminded by the forum mods that posting copyrighted proprietary information was not allowed here.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:02 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
While posting Thor documentation is very helpful here, I was sternly reminded by the forum mods that posting copyrighted proprietary information was not allowed here.
I'm aware of that....

I didn't post an entire document but a small screen shot of the issue in question. Could have been a self-made drawing very easily.

If Thor would fix their schematics and then actually wire the BIM properly in some of these coaches, we wouldn't have needed the endless posts on this specific topic.... but more importantly Thor wouldn't have so many people with battery and 12V issues that should never happen. They would also have fewer unnecessary support calls and dealer visits.

But hey... that makes too much sense anyway.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:30 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
I just found out that the connection is wrong in the schematics of my coach.
What are the consequences of that mistake?

Tks,
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:56 PM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
I just found out that the connection is wrong in the schematics of my coach.
What are the consequences of that mistake?

Tks,

If your BIM is wired backwards, the alternator will not charge the House Batteries properly.

If your coach needs to be running to extend the slide, the low voltage lock won’t release. Or you could get a low voltage error with your levelers.

In this case you have to run the generator or plug into shore power if the House Batteries are too low to operate the slide, etc.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:06 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I'm aware of that....

I didn't post an entire document but a small screen shot of the issue in question. Could have been a self-made drawing very easily.

If Thor would fix their schematics and then actually wire the BIM properly in some of these coaches, we wouldn't have needed the endless posts on this specific topic.... but more importantly Thor wouldn't have so many people with battery and 12V issues that should never happen. They would also have fewer unnecessary support calls and dealer visits.

But hey... that makes too much sense anyway.

Same here. My warning was not for posting the entire document. I just screenshotted a small section showing the gray tank sensors, no Thor logo or drawing number. Still, I was warned but the post remains.

Turned out my gray tank sensors were wired completely backwards on a brand new unit. If Thor had wired the sensors correctly, no post would have been needed.