Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: Florida
THOR #14140
Angry Slide will not come in, need help asap

Thor 2015 Ace 29.2. in NH and planned to leave today, try to bring slide in and only comes in a couple of inches and stops. will go back out to open. No local mobile RV places near here.

had generator running, plugged into 110 outlet, but nothing
button takes a couple of tries before hearing motor engage.

know nothing about it at all but did find electric module in bay.

how do I get it in and what might be wrong with it, always worked perfectly but had rain last nite.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #2

Model: Thor Siesta 24SS
State: North Carolina
THOR #9026
Had a similar problem in my Siesta when trying to open slides. It would move an inch and just stop. I found that some cargo had shifted and had knocked a wire loose from its terminal. Make sure all the wires are secured. Hopefully that does the trick. If not, the module has a LED that will blink. Numbers of blinks is the error code.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:13 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #6451
I had this happen once. It would come in an inch or so and stop. What we did when it stopped, was to push the extend button for just a second. Then we would push the retract button again and it would come in another inch. We kept doing this until the slide was all the way in. It took several minutes.

Ended up being a bad motor. I replaced both motors and it's been fine since.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #4

THOR #14140
Red face slide still not all the way in

DID manual override and slide moved in some but is not coming in evenly. one side seems stuck, pulled moulding off a bit.

HELP anyone
Old 06-13-2019, 03:58 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
The rep art Thor told me you can unhook the two white wires on each side of the controller module under the slide and manually push the slide in. Then, reconnect the two white wires and this will lock the motors back in place. Emergency fix only.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:31 PM   #6

THOR #14140
slide still not all the way in

disconnected both motors from brain and replugged them in, front of slide by drivers side, does not come all the way in and comes in at an angle. Can get it all the way extended now but not all the way in. Code blinks 8 times so something about ground?

I have rig level but still seems not to be quite level, should I move rig a big forward and re level it and see if that helps? I am not strong enough to push slide in by myself.

Suggestions?
Old 06-13-2019, 05:43 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
Try re-leveling where you are at and maybe even fine tune your level with it sloping in the direction the slide needs to go to store.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:16 PM   #8

THOR #14140
releveling no help

moved rig forward ever so slowly and re leveled, no difference.

Come to the conclusion that moisture is issue, it was wet in bay where the controller is and slide had work perfectly up until we had heavy rain storm

Error reads #8 which is a short between motor and controller. reversed wires on controller, disconnected and tried to push slide in NOTHING

seems like motor on front of slide is not getting enough power.

Scares me that I can't do manual over ride and get the slide in.

Suggestions?
Old 06-14-2019, 07:16 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
I had a similar issue. My motor was bad and so the slide out would come in at an angle. There are videos on how to unlock the motor from Lippert:

Hopefully this helps.
The only other thing i can think of is that you have something jammed in the slideout.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
I had a similar situation two weeks ago. I disconnected ALL the wires that plug in at the controller in the basement compartment. I waited about 15 minutes. I plugged the wires back in but reversed the wires going to the motors. Went back inside and pushed retract button. To my surprise the slide came in perfectly.

Have NO idea why this worked but it did.

Good luck!
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:11 AM   #11

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
If you’re intent on pushing the slide in manually it could take 4-5 ppl to accomplish it. Full side slide like mine maybe 8 ppl. The important thing is keep it even when pushing it in.
Have to disconnect both motors as they will act as brakes.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:16 PM   #12

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Indiana
THOR #8714
This worked for me

Over time, the connectors on the control module oxidize and connection is comprised. Take each wire completely off, then put it back (one wire at a time.) This will clean the contact surfaces somewhat and restore a good connection. Maybe it will work for you, too!
Old 06-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #13

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I had this happen once in my Class C first night out. It was a level issue with the coach. It must have shifted a little over night.

I started to manually level the coach and the slide came in. I never had an issue again..... so far.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:41 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
Are you still having the problem?

I had the same thing happen. It’s been discussed in another thread. I found that disconnecting the white plugs from the controller does not make much of a difference in resistance that the motors put onto the tracks when you try pushing it in manually. When I talked about this to an RV tech at the dealer, he agreed.

For me this problem of not being able to retract the slide created a critical situation. The “measure of last resort” is to loosen/remove the top-most outside screw on each motor and then peel back the rubber sealing strip (either inside or outside) and then pop the motor up about a half an inch. You’ll then be able to push your slide back in. You’ll most likely then need to brace it from the inside to keep it from sliding out while you drive back to the dealer to have them figure out what went wrong and reinstall the motors.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:16 PM   #15

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers1 View Post
Thor 2015 Ace 29.2. in NH and planned to leave today, try to bring slide in and only comes in a couple of inches and stops. will go back out to open. No local mobile RV places near here.

had generator running, plugged into 110 outlet, but nothing
button takes a couple of tries before hearing motor engage.

know nothing about it at all but did find electric module in bay.

how do I get it in and what might be wrong with it, always worked perfectly but had rain last nite.

Thanks in advance
I had this issue once and I disconnected all the wires from the module and waited a few minutes and plugged them all back in. It worked and I have not had that issue since then. Knock on wood.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:38 AM   #16

Model: Ace 30.1
State: Oregon
THOR #12551
Slides

Had same problem when a rodent got in and eat wires. Looked under bed and pulled wires only to see cut locations. Spliced and taped them...30 min job...worked fine
Old 06-23-2019, 04:55 AM   #17

THOR #12551
Do simple things first before replacing motors etc. check battery power, cut wires, connections, etc. Thor seems to run excess lengths of connecting wires. Can get caught in moving parts
Old 06-23-2019, 05:44 AM   #18

THOR #12551
Slide

Did you make sure you vehicle key was on off, not in Aux position?
Old 06-23-2019, 11:40 AM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte534j View Post
I had a similar issue. My motor was bad and so the slide out would come in at an angle. There are videos on how to unlock the motor from Lippert:

Hopefully this helps.
The only other thing i can think of is that you have something jammed in the slideout.

That’s a very good and informative video, but there are a couple of issues to consider on the section on manual override in case of “catastrophic” failure.

First is that the owner isn’t standing at that height relative to slide room. It’s going to take working off a ladder to reach motors in order to disengage, and they will be roughly 10-ft in the air.

Secondly, when he pushes slide in manually, the video skips a bit as if it’s edited. I’ve seen similar videos where pushing a slide in takes a lot of physical effort. And in the video, the slide is a small and empty shell that is much lighter than an actual MH slide. Also of concern to me if I was planning this manual retraction is that he’s pushing the slide in at shoulder level, whereas in a real motorhome the slide room would be much higher off the ground.

I suppose that younger strong and agile owners may be able to perform this manual override, but I question if it’s something the average owner should even attempt.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:53 PM   #20

Model: VEGAS 27.7
THOR #14226
This is the best method. This gentlemen knows better than all of the other folks.
I had the same problem. My set screw was not tighten from Thor. The motor disconnected. Get the motor to drop back down tighten screw and fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte534j View Post

Hopefully this helps.