Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2018, 10:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #11509
Front end alignment

Had to take my new RS26 to a shop to get the front end aligned. The techs laughed and said it was very common. Ford does not align them from the factory and none of the RV mfgs perform an alignment. Warranty don't cover it. Why is that?

Old 07-24-2018, 10:58 PM   #2

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8rcfan View Post
Had to take my new RS26 to a shop to get the front end aligned. The techs laughed and said it was very common. Ford does not align them from the factory and none of the RV mfgs perform an alignment. Warranty don't cover it. Why is that?
I think thats one thing everyone on this forum has in common, wheel alignment first thing.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:04 PM   #3

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Some, at least one, manufacture will cover an alignment.
But you have to have ask nobody knows to ask .

Please... somebody ask me how I know $$$ X 2.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:07 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post

I'll bite, How do you know?
Old 07-24-2018, 11:10 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I asked and they said no. There is even a sticker by the drivers seat saying to get it aligned after purchase.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:12 PM   #6

THOR #8139
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
I'll bite, How do you know?
Killed one of those big OL Michelin's the first year.

When we buy our next motor home an alignment will be part of the deal!
Old 07-24-2018, 11:17 PM   #7

THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I asked and they said no. There is even a sticker by the drivers seat saying to get it aligned after purchase.
must be a Thor policy.
Alignment, things not working is why we bought used this time.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:05 PM   #8

State: Alabama
THOR #7451
Quote:
must be a Thor policy.

Alignment, things not working is why we bought used this time.

I think you're correct. We bought used and had no problem than we bought new and have had to fix too many things[emoji30]
Old 07-25-2018, 08:26 PM   #9

THOR #11509
Thanks for the replies

So, Im not alone. So far, this is the only problem I have with my Thor. Well, almost.
Why would they install a 1950s thermostat for the HVAC? I spent a whole $25 for a digital unit. SO much better.
Why is the dash radio tied to the house 12v. Looses time, every time you switch.
I asked Ford, they said no to warranty on the alignment. It may have been aligned when it left Ford, but after the RV mfg adds their weight, and it sags, there goes the alignment.
How do you know? It didnt pull, shake or nothing. It just requires your constant attention to keep it in the lane. Couldn't relax at all.
Lastly, according to the alignment shop, this is the case of ALL the RV companies.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:33 PM   #10

Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
Took my new Windsport 29 M for an alignment and also to have the front steering stabilizer installed after purchase, They told me that the alignment was fine no adjustments needed but had to charge me anyway because that is what I requested. Better safe than sorrry.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:43 PM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
Took my new Windsport 29 M for an alignment and also to have the front steering stabilizer installed after purchase, They told me that the alignment was fine no adjustments needed but had to charge me anyway because that is what I requested. Better safe than sorrry.

Same here. Mine cost $120. Ok by me. No wonder, though, that I thought my coach handled just fine right from the start.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:53 PM   #12

THOR #11509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Same here. Mine cost $120. Ok by me. No wonder, though, that I thought my coach handled just fine right from the start.
Mine required an "Alignment Sleeve" (a Ford thing),(plus installation). Drove the price up to $220. But it does drive better
Old 07-25-2018, 10:04 PM   #13

Model: ACE 27.2
State: Colorado
THOR #11875
My used Thor Ace 16,500 miles was way out of alignment and the outside edge of both front tires worn quite a bit, but the "tread" is still legal so the dealer said.

I took it to a local alignment shop and they said the front tires should be rotated to the rear else they would just wear out much faster even with an alignment.

It was a rip off "specialty" shop. One hour min. LABOR for everything they touch, $172.50/hr. Plus parte. They charge 1 hr for alignment, 1 hr for rotate, and then 1 hour for oil change. I found old service records and whoever did it prior charged $60 labor for oil change.

The thing still wanders all over the road lane and can feel every bump and crack and ripple in the road thru the steering wheel.

We made a BIG MISTAKE, and even though we got a "good deal" on the used price $64,000 plus $4800 sales tax and license/owners tax. We are more convinced than even before we talked ourselves into this POS, we could buy a whole LOT of NICE hotel rooms for what this thing cost, and WILL cost in gas, maintenance, etc.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:26 PM   #14

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbatt View Post
My used Thor Ace 16,500 miles was way out of alignment and the outside edge of both front tires worn quite a bit, but the "tread" is still legal so the dealer said.

I took it to a local alignment shop and they said the front tires should be rotated to the rear else they would just wear out much faster even with an alignment.

It was a rip off "specialty" shop. One hour min. LABOR for everything they touch, $172.50/hr. Plus parte. They charge 1 hr for alignment, 1 hr for rotate, and then 1 hour for oil change. I found old service records and whoever did it prior charged $60 labor for oil change.

The thing still wanders all over the road lane and can feel every bump and crack and ripple in the road thru the steering wheel.

We made a BIG MISTAKE, and even though we got a "good deal" on the used price $64,000 plus $4800 sales tax and license/owners tax. We are more convinced than even before we talked ourselves into this POS, we could buy a whole LOT of NICE hotel rooms for what this thing cost, and WILL cost in gas, maintenance, etc.

A motor home can never be about saving money. Owning mine is one of the most expensive things I’ve ever done! It’s about lifestyle - you either like it or you don’t. Certainly it’s not for everyone. I know people who spend thousands of dollars a year playing golf. Makes zero sense to me but it works for them so it’s all good. Hope you can sell your coach and get on to a lifestyle that does not frustrate you so much! All the best.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:10 AM   #15

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
A motor home can never be about saving money. Owning mine is one of the most expensive things I’ve ever done! It’s about lifestyle - you either like it or you don’t. Certainly it’s not for everyone. I know people who spend thousands of dollars a year playing golf. Makes zero sense to me but it works for them so it’s all good. Hope you can sell your coach and get on to a lifestyle that does not frustrate you so much! All the best.
I had a similar conversation with a good friend of mine.... RV vs. motel stays and the financial difference. I told him in my opinion owning a RV is not about saving money, quite the opposite. It is about not having to go through TSA at a zoo airport, not sleeping in a bed that you have no idea what, who, etc.. well, you get the idea. I also like the fact that we seem to get extremely relaxed when we get to our parking spot for the night(s) and I cannot be tempted to do work around the regular house. You are right, you are buying into a lifestyle.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:18 AM   #16

Model: ACE 27.2
State: Colorado
THOR #11875
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I had a similar conversation with a good friend of mine.... RV vs. motel stays and the financial difference. I told him in my opinion owning a RV is not about saving money, quite the opposite. It is about not having to go through TSA at a zoo airport, not sleeping in a bed that you have no idea what, who, etc.. well, you get the idea. I also like the fact that we seem to get extremely relaxed when we get to our parking spot for the night(s) and I cannot be tempted to do work around the regular house. You are right, you are buying into a lifestyle.
I've been an outdoors guy since early teens, camping with just a bag, then upgraded to a tent when I got married, wife and I, and then the kids tent camped in REMOTE areas for years, been through several Navy survival schools including the pretty tough SERE, and I got along better than others as I had so much camping..and hunting/fishing experience.

Just frustrated as the used MH we bought in Utah, the leveling jack hydraulic hose ruptured enroute home in CO. And other problems right off the bat that the dealer should have had maintenance on....so 2 months into it, still haven't gone out. But we are ready to give it a go. Already looking to add solar and inverter as we are so used to boondocking prior with just a tent and a 4X4 to get us out and away.

Might be fun to actually not sleep on the hard ground, and have a kitchen to cook breakfast, rather than getting the campfire going on a cold morning. We lived in UT and CO, so our camping was always in the high mtns.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:16 AM   #17

THOR #11509
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
We are new. The longest trip we've taken so far was 9 days. But we both agreed when we returned that we could easily throw some clean clothes in the rig and head back out again! :-) we were so relaxed
Old 07-26-2018, 05:49 AM   #18

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
THOR #12270
just so i understand correctly....I can take the RV to any alignment shop to get it aligned? or would everyone recommend the dealer for the first one?

i cant believe they dont align it at the Thor factory or have ford do it then drive it up to 2500 miles to the dealership. you wouldn't put up with that with a passenger car. an RV shouldn't be any different as a road legal vehicle.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #19

THOR #6826
Most shops won’t work on RVs, mostly, I think because they are too big for their equipment. The alignment process itself is just like on any other vehicle. Even some Ford dealers will send you away. They likely can refer you to someone though. Probably a truck service center. My class c checked out fine from the Thor factory. My class A got a small adjustment. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster View Post
just so i understand correctly....I can take the RV to any alignment shop to get it aligned? or would everyone recommend the dealer for the first one?

i cant believe they dont align it at the Thor factory or have ford do it then drive it up to 2500 miles to the dealership. you wouldn't put up with that with a passenger car. an RV shouldn't be any different as a road legal vehicle.
I believe Ford does an alignment at their factory on the "empty frame"; it just gets messed up once Thor touches it and adds all the weight

We took ours to a Goodyear commercial truck shop: https://www.goodyearctsc.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote