Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2020, 06:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
Front fiberglass cap oxidizing

Being out in the Florida sun all the time Im finding that the front of the RV keeps Oxidizing. So twice a year I get out the buffer and the wax and almost bring it back to new. My Question is:

Has anyone had anything done different to the front of the coach to prevent this? Paint or clear coating of some type??

Old 05-10-2020, 02:35 PM   #2

State: New Jersey
THOR #9948
I am researching ceramic coatings because of the expense to do the whole rig, I may just do the front cab over and hood
Old 05-10-2020, 03:17 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Not that familiar with the front on motorhomes but if it's the same type gelcoat as the front caps on 5th wheels the only sure cure is painted with automotive paint & clear coat.
Or have it color matched with the premium Line X bed liner, no more rock chips or fading. I was planning to have the Line X sprayed below the overhang on my 5er to cover up & prevent future rock chips, but sold it before I got it done.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:39 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
mine looked good at the lot and for a few months, but started fading quick. It was a "last year's model" and had been on the lot for a long time. In hind sight they clearly had coated it with something.

I tried all sorts of compounds, polishes, and waxes...and even bought a buffer, but I could never bring the shine out well.

At some point I did the acrylic floor polish thing that has been all over the web for years now. It worked well. Was jaw dropping really how good the rig looked after probably 4 or 5 coats. Only lasted a few months though then slowly started going again. I had intended to add a refresh coat every month or two & if I had I think it would have lasted. Just a time problem.

Eventually I did a really fast trial spraying the nose with rattle can automotive lacquer. It was just a really quick but hard scrub, then sprayed a couple coats. I had ended up running out of time...again...and sprayed in a hurry just before a rain shower hit and before a trip, right over the faded decal. Well even with that sloppiness, it still looked pretty good, and has held up a couple years now. Not awesome now, but still better than nothing.

One of these days...or really weekends, I'm hoping to get some time to do the whole rig. Till then, I recently read someone posting somewhere about using "Flood Penetrol" paint additive, to temporarily refresh faded gelcoat/FRP...so I have a quart waiting on me out in the garage.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:00 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
cut...

One of these days...or really weekends, I'm hoping to get some time to do the whole rig. Till then, I recently read someone posting somewhere about using "Flood Penetrol" paint additive, to temporarily refresh faded gelcoat/FRP...so I have a quart waiting on me out in the garage.
And?
Old 06-14-2020, 11:58 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Texas
THOR #12635
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Follow the directions very carefully. Took my oxidized and faded Cap to looking nice bright and shiny.
Good Sam Member 855452801
Sk8nmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:56 AM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
cut...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
And?
so I did it a couple weeks ago. It certainly did bring back the shine all over the coach. There is some discoloration that comes through in places from the sun damage but I'm happy with the initial results.

I also have some swirl marks in places. It's like the oil soaked in a little more in some places than others.

it makes me think of something like tung oil for finishing wood. Wipes on a dries hard like that. Very similar to the acrylic floor polish. Brought out the shine in fewer coats than the floor polish, but was maybe a bit harder to wipe on. Actually one coat did it, but I went back over it again with a light second coat. Sadly the second coat didn't help the swirls because they were already sealed under.
My real question now is will it last longer or about the same as the floor polish did?