Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2022, 01:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Cracked Grey Pipe

Yup, was setting up the site at Yogi Bear and saw a leak from behind the water shed. Now, I just fixed a water shed Tee connector leak so I'm thinking "what did I screw up?". Oh no, the leak is coming from the grey water drain pipe right where the long pipe connects into a series of Ys. The crack is likely caused by our wonderful roads shaking the heck out of everything. Lucky, I had some really sticky wide tape, and I was able to do a field fix that held us. Oh, I'm not done. Also noted that the under sink kitchen plumbing was leaking too, strange I said as I held my High Life. I then find all of the drain pipe connections were loose under the sink, and I do mean all of them. I attribute that to once again the wonderful roads we have here in Michigan.

Lessoned learned: Keep good sticky tape on hand and every so often get under the sinks and give those pipe connectors a twist. Have fun camping!

Old 08-07-2022, 08:48 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Sometimes you also may find that the plumbing has not even been glued as it should have been......as your surprise bonus. I hope you got the pipes permanently fixed.

Yes, the DW and I also found some of the roads in Michigan to be very rough on our 2017 West to East and back trip, but we also found some of the nicest and most interesting campgrounds also exist in Michigan too. A truck chassis with a solid axle front end does not help the ride either.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:17 AM   #3

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
We also had the grey pipe crack at the flange going to the dump gate, still under warranty so Thor sent me a new piece. I have no problem doing most work on RV or home and easier to do myself than drive 100 miles to have it done. When I took off the old piece and put on the new I found they did not line up by about a half inch.
That would cause it to crack being in a bind. My fix was to cut about one inch out of the pipe comming out of the grey tank and using an appropiate size hose between the gap. No problem in six years but without this "fix" I am sure the new piece would have cracked also. Jim.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:49 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
The bathroom pee trap was not glued. The shower drain pipe broke. The bathroom sink faucet set was not tightened down. I could go on. All stuff that makes for an opportunity to scratch your head, drink a beer, and go hmmmm!

Yes, if I couldn’t do these types of repairs, I would not own an RV.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:19 AM   #5

Model: Axis 25.2
State: New Jersey
THOR #24794
Ours broke in the spring. Gorilla tape worked for a day then I fixed it with PVC and Fernco fittings. The piece I cut out was barely together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220425_083908125.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	39116  
Old 08-12-2022, 05:54 PM   #6

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Looks like a great repair! Nice.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:57 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Thanks for the reminder, gotta put a roll of Gorilla tape in my toolbag....
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:03 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappy2 View Post
Yup, was setting up the site at Yogi Bear and saw a leak from behind the water shed. Now, I just fixed a water shed Tee connector leak so I'm thinking "what did I screw up?". Oh no, the leak is coming from the grey water drain pipe right where the long pipe connects into a series of Ys. The crack is likely caused by our wonderful roads shaking the heck out of everything. Lucky, I had some really sticky wide tape, and I was able to do a field fix that held us. Oh, I'm not done. Also noted that the under sink kitchen plumbing was leaking too, strange I said as I held my High Life. I then find all of the drain pipe connections were loose under the sink, and I do mean all of them. I attribute that to once again the wonderful roads we have here in Michigan.

Lessoned learned: Keep good sticky tape on hand and every so often get under the sinks and give those pipe connectors a twist. Have fun camping!
That reminds me to check all my drains and supply lines. Everything gets loose driving on AMERICA'S GREAT Roads that politicians say they have put money aside for improvements???? I think the only improvements have been to there off shore bank accounts!!!! Bob Trice
Old 08-19-2022, 01:08 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
that reminds me to check all my drains and supply lines. Everything gets loose driving on america's great roads that politicians say they have put money aside for improvements???? I think the only improvements have been to there off shore bank accounts!!!! Bob trice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Politics (1).gif
Views:	128
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	39177  
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:27 PM   #10

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubugarrity View Post
Ours broke in the spring. Gorilla tape worked for a day then I fixed it with PVC and Fernco fittings. The piece I cut out was barely together.
In the future just know it's not recommended to mix PVC (white) with ABS (black) whichever glue you used may not adhere to one or the other.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote