Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2022, 12:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Texas
THOR #22781
Front Suspension 2021 E-450 Class C

Want to upgrade stabilization of front suspension.
Any input as to installing an improved Anti-Sway Bar, or the Timbren Front Suspension Enhancement System?

Old 06-04-2022, 06:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Set tire pressures load it for travel have the front end aligned before you do anything.

All of the self proclaimed experts will chime in shortly with their opinions on what you must do.
Old 06-05-2022, 12:32 AM   #3

THOR #22781
Thanks good information.
Old 06-05-2022, 02:01 AM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Set tire pressures load it for travel have the front end aligned before you do anything.

All of the self proclaimed experts will chime in shortly with their opinions on what you must do.

David
Old 06-05-2022, 10:17 AM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEasTexas View Post
Any input as to installing an improved Anti-Sway Bar, or the Timbren Front Suspension Enhancement System?

I had a 2017 E-450 when I had my Outlaw 29H. The thing handled and road like a dump truck.... and that would be an insult to the dump truck.

While you should check tire pressures and alignment, that likely won't be nearly enough. Any Class C on an E-Series chassis over 25 feel long will likely need suspension improvements since the stock cutaway chassis suspension was not designed for a vehicle that was long, high and heavy.

Here is what I did to improve the ride and handling on my Outlaw:

1. Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer
2. Hellwig Heavy Duty Front and Rear Sway Bars
3. Front and Rear Sumo Springs

After I did those upgrades (~$1500 back in 2018 and I did the labor), the coach was a dream to drive and not a white knuckle experience.
Old 06-05-2022, 12:09 PM   #6

THOR #22781
Appreciate the input, your solutions will probably make a big difference on my unit.
Old 06-05-2022, 02:07 PM   #7

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Our E350 sounds like yours. My plan is to follow a plan much like that posted above. 2022 Axis

We added front Sumo springs (black ones) and tomorrow will have an alignment and a SafeTplus steering damper added.

The Sumos alone smoothed out some of the harshness on our fairly rough road. But by itself the sway is still very much there. So after the alignment we will add rear Sumos and evaluate. The addition of stronger swaybars is still something we will probably do.
Old 06-05-2022, 02:35 PM   #8

THOR #22781
Thanks...
Old 06-06-2022, 03:26 PM   #9

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I have a 32' class C, and here is what I recommend:

1. Good alignment with at least +5 degrees of caster.
2. Big front and rear swaybars (I installed Hellwig swaybars).
3. Front steering stabilizer (I installed a Saf-T-Plus)

These will make a big difference. Less wandering, less getting pushed around when semis pass, better steering feel and stability.

I also did some additional upgrades, which made a less significant difference. I installed Bilstein HD shocks, which reduced the wallowy feeling on undulating roads, but otherwise didn't make a huge difference.

My 32' class C is very heavy at the rear, so I didn't feel there was any need for Sumo springs at the front. However, I did install Timbren springs at the rear. These are essentially tall bump stops that add some spring rate. I think a better solution would be to add a leaf to the rear springs, and I may get that done someday.
Old 06-06-2022, 04:09 PM   #10

THOR #22781
I appreciate your input sounds like the solution I need.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:33 PM   #11

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Just an update:
We got an alignment with +5 Caster. Had SafeTplus installed at same time.
Used to be the steering wheel was always canted to the right even on a right sloping crown. Now the steering wheel is straight. At 60=65 mph the alignment and SafeTplus made a nice difference in wandering within the lane. In town the wheels return to center more strongly.

It is better but still want rear Sumos and will look real hard at swaybars.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:44 PM   #12

THOR #22781
Thanks for the update.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:53 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
My opinion? Seat time. I compare driving our class C to pulling our Grand Design trailer with a new Ford F150. The ride certainly isn't as cushy as the F150, but the other handling characteristics such as centerline, drift and control are VERY similar... no harder to drive at all. Maybe our class C was simply setup correctly at the Ford plant? Granted, it's not a one-finger-on-the-wheel driving adventure, because it does require more attention.

I've driven vehicles/moving vans etc. with terrible handling... but those were likely abused rentals... actually my little 1965 Simca handled much worse than my class C!

I feel that most who complain about the class C "driving experience" are influenced by one of three things:

1) There are truly serious issues - bad alignment, improper tire pressure, etc. which would affect ANY motorhome... OR car/truck for that matter.

2) Have unrealistic expectations - expecting a class C to handle like a diesel pusher with air suspension... which it is not.

3) Are overly sensitive to the extra effort required when coming from an upscale passenger vehicle, or larger chassis motorhome.

Research typically shows minimal improvement for sensitive drivers even after throwing $$$ into suspension upgrades.

Sorry folks... not meaning to offend anyone, but that's my OPINION... and just like _____ , everyone has one!
Old 06-07-2022, 01:31 AM   #14

THOR #22781
Thanks... A different prospective
Old 06-08-2022, 12:43 AM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
My opinion? Seat time. I compare driving our class C to pulling our Grand Design trailer with a new Ford F150. The ride certainly isn't as cushy as the F150, but the other handling characteristics such as centerline, drift and control are VERY similar... no harder to drive at all. Maybe our class C was simply setup correctly at the Ford plant? Granted, it's not a one-finger-on-the-wheel driving adventure, because it does require more attention.

I've driven vehicles/moving vans etc. with terrible handling... but those were likely abused rentals... actually my little 1965 Simca handled much worse than my class C!

I feel that most who complain about the class C "driving experience" are influenced by one of three things:

1) There are truly serious issues - bad alignment, improper tire pressure, etc. which would affect ANY motorhome... OR car/truck for that matter.

2) Have unrealistic expectations - expecting a class C to handle like a diesel pusher with air suspension... which it is not.

3) Are overly sensitive to the extra effort required when coming from an upscale passenger vehicle, or larger chassis motorhome.

Research typically shows minimal improvement for sensitive drivers even after throwing $$$ into suspension upgrades.

Sorry folks... not meaning to offend anyone, but that's my OPINION... and just like _____ , everyone has one!

I tend to agree. If most of your driving has been in modern automobiles almost any RV will seem unsophisticated and even scary. I frequently recommend driving a few thousand miles before deciding to make changes. I think that if simple, off the shelf things like different shocks or softer bump stops made much of a difference the manufacturers would build them that way. Of course there ARE individual units that have real addressable problems like poor alignment or defective parts. But that’s just my opinion.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:47 AM   #16

THOR #22781
Thanks...
Old 06-08-2022, 01:05 AM   #17

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Front Suspension 2021 E-450 Class C

Maybe some people aren’t used to drivning a motorhome…. but I drove a large box truck… vans…. towed boats…. towed snowmobile trailes, etc. When I purchased my Outlaw 29H, it was the worst driving experience I had ever experienced.

After doing a lot of research it was clear that Ford (and other OEM’s) build a cutaway chassis not knowing what the vehicle will ultimately be. It could be a motorhome… or an ambulance…. or a shuttle…. Or delivery van. They install a basic suspension and leave it up to the buyer to determine what’s best for the application.

The stock suspension is fine for many applications but when you extend the frame…. add significant height… add significant weight almost up to the GVWR…as you do building a 30’ or longer motorhome… the stock suspension is pushed beyond its limits and that impacts performance.

Installing components like heavy duty sway bars and Sumo springs do make a difference in ride and handling characteristics when the stock suspension components are pushed to or even beyond their limits.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:00 AM   #18

THOR #22781
Good observations.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:23 PM   #19

THOR #20920
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEasTexas View Post
Not a “self proclaimed expert” but I have the Timbren Springs and a new front sway bar. I’ve noticed a good difference.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:56 PM   #20

THOR #22781
Thanks [emoji106]