Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2014, 02:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Florida
THOR #682
Miramar 2014 34.2 Shower Drain

I have a 2014 Miramar and am having an issue since day 1 with the shower not draining. I have examined all pipes and vents,blew out lines and still cant get the drain to work correctly. If I leave the gray valve open it drains with no problem.If i close the valve after draining tank It starts to back up before you are in shower for 2 minutes. I took it in for warranty work at CW and they told me the tank was too small. Give me a break! I see where there is a vent to the roof that it is connected to but I was also wondering if its not enough of a vent and should i add one under the sink by tying in.It just acts like a venting problem. At this time i am thoroughly frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:34 AM   #2

THOR #943
retromike,
Had same problem. This is what Camping World put on our work order for the same issue to solve it.
Shower drain is running up hill causing shower to drain slowly or not at all. Remove paneling under shower to gain access to shower drain. Remove access panel under sink, cut out plumbing to tank and shower drain RE plumb so it drains down hill to drain properly.
Since they did this our shower is draining finally.
Good luck with your Thor and I pray this is your only issue.
Which Camping World do you use. I am not impresssed with them at all.
Would love to find a Thor authorized service center close to us.
Ratboy
Old 01-26-2015, 10:35 PM   #3

THOR #682
ratboy46,

I checked everything and the lines aren't running uphill. I ran a test letting the shower run for a few minutes until it filled and then I ran the kitchen sink until it backed up. Both run to grey tank, i continued to run the water into the sink and then i heard a load gush of bubbles. checked shower and it was bubbling like crazy went back to kitchen and water was gone. I did this several times with same results. Must be vent problem somewhere. I went up on roof and checked the vent above bath and that vent goes down the inside bath wall and vents the black-tank. When you look up under the tire under shower you can see the shower vent pipe going up the wall but never exits. Then there is the vent through the roof in the front of the coach that who knows what that's for as there is no pipe in the kitchen going up.
I called Thor and they sent me a schematic of the plumbing for a 34.2. Guess what not even close, It states on the paper that it is the proper schematics but it doesn't show the vent in the front or the vent in the bath wall or any of the washer dryer plumbing. So much for me figuring out needless to say another trip for warranty work!!!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:37 PM   #4

THOR #682
Miramar shower

ratboy46,

Sorry I forgot i used Camping World in St Augustine. Never ever again.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #5

State: New York
THOR #1169
I can't check now, but I recall 2 vents on the roof within a few feet of each other over the bathroom. I don't have a vent in the front.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:24 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Both black and grey tanks should be vented with vent caps looking like this:

Check it to make sure no bugs have built a nest in there that might clog the vent.

It would not surprise me if Thor forgot to extend the vent through the roof.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:29 PM   #7

THOR #682
Miramar Shower

FW28z, Ratboy46,

1 vent in rear and that goes to black tank, the line that shower goes to that goes up wall doesnt protrude thru roof. The one vent in front have no clue why thats there.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:33 AM   #8

THOR #1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by retromike View Post
FW28z, Ratboy46,

1 vent in rear and that goes to black tank, the line that shower goes to that goes up wall doesnt protrude thru roof. The one vent in front have no clue why thats there.
Is the forward vent in the vicinity of the kitchen sink?
Old 01-28-2015, 04:22 AM   #9

THOR #682
Miramar shower

yes it is somewhat but i removed all cabinets and traced piped nothing going up just the pipe going to grey tank
Old 01-28-2015, 06:40 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
You don't suppose they used a short length of pipe (too short to fit through the roof) as they did not want to waste it, then used the cavity in the wall to "connect" it to the vent?

I cannot believe they would do something like that. But I cannot think of any other explanation. At any rate, seems like a major faux pas.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:09 PM   #11

THOR #682
Miramar shower

I have no clue anymore. I can fix most anything but this is beyond what I am willing to do. I am calling Dealership and getting it scheduled for warranty! So much for schematics that they send you stating Miramar 34.2, not even close
Old 02-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #12

THOR #1169
My 34.2 has 2 vents through the roof - both in the vicinity of the bathroom. One on the driver side of the bathroom vent and one of the passenger side of the shower skylight. There are no other vents.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:22 PM   #13

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
My old 2003 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 SS kitchen sink did the same thing - air locked. Worked fine with valve open but would not drain with closed - Had a small valve behind counter (not to roof). I never messed with it as we always had full hook up or I would open valve a little and drain in bucket - just enough to prevent air lock.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:01 AM   #14

THOR #682
Miramar shower

streamcamper.

Thats where mine should be also as the line for the shower goes up the exterior wall above location of rear tire but not through roof. The other vent line goes up through the wall adjacent to TV and goes through roof. As i mentioned before theres one way up front by the antenna for tv?? no pipes leading from kitchen up at all. Scheduled at La Mesa March for them to try to figure out.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:16 PM   #15

State: California
THOR #1579
I just bought a (used) 2014 Thor Miramar 34.2. We used shower for the first time last weekend, all worked well except for a leak on the floor by the corner. Will have to reseal threshold area.

If I can be any help with pictures of my roof vents let me know.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:14 PM   #16

Model: Miramar
State: Kentucky
THOR #1533
Miramar

Photo's would be great, if you have them Thanks in advance
Old 03-04-2015, 10:09 PM   #17

THOR #682
Miramar

Pictures would be great as I am going ti Dealership Friday. I cant beleive that there could be different venting on the same coach but I only have 1 vent in rear and 1 in front> Thanks
Old 03-19-2015, 03:11 AM   #18

THOR #682
Miramar 34.2 shower

guys sorry i posted findings on another Miramar thread hopefully you will see it there, you wont believe it
Old 03-19-2015, 03:14 AM   #19

THOR #682
Miramar 34.2 shower

Well guys i told you i would update you on what was the cause of the shower not draining in the Miramar. Took it to dealership who had to call Thor for plumbing schematics ,and as i mentioned before they sent pictures that do not match the Miramar. Thor then told the dealership that the shower was vented in the black tank? we know thats BS as i already pulled the wall behind tv where the black tank is vented. Thor finally gave permission to remove the shower and walls to gain access. Guess what they never piped the vent , there it sits half way up the wall capped . The dealership plumbed it through the roof and wala it drains. I think this needs to be taken to the top of Thor to let them know how great their QC department is. Miramar owners or prospective buyers beware.
Final note while at dealership more cabinet hinges off, battery disconnect failure and the list goes on.
Shower mishap lawsuit?
Old 03-19-2015, 03:35 AM   #20

State: California
THOR #1579
As I have stated before with my used (5100 miles) Miarmar 34.2: great features and looks, poor (and I mean POOR) quality and workmanship. My main pursuit in the first two months of ownership has been "fixing stupid".....LOTS of stupid.