Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2017, 03:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #8264
Frozen outside kitchen lines

It looks like Camping World Kingston NY strikes again. It's been in the low teens here on Long Island the last few days. I went out yesterday to start the engine and generator to keep all the batteries charged and check on the bins and outside kitchen on our Windsport 29M. When I opened the outside kitchen ice was hanging from the faucet and the faucet knobs were frozen. I removed the aerator and found the faucet clogged with ice. It looks like when they winterized they missed the outside kitchen. Is there anything I can do at this point? It's suppose to remain frigid cold at least the next week.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:28 PM   #2

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Well, ain't that just lovely! Since things are already frozen, I personally wouldn't try to warm them up. If your water lines are PEX, they should be OK. But, look for signs of cracks at the faucets. Then, raise all heck with CW for the crappy service!
Old 12-29-2017, 10:34 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Take a bunch of photos and bring them with you/e-mail them to CW.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:02 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
I agree: bring lots of pictures AND your loudest voice, when you pay them a visit.
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:31 PM   #5

THOR #8264
No pun intended but this problem is just the tip of the iceberg with CW Kingston. They kept our Windsport for two months to fix problems missed at pdi. The total repair time was eight hours. When we picked up the rv after repairs were suppose to have been done they were not finished. They installed Safe-T-Plus incorrectly and it had to be redone. I've left messages for Aaron the service manager about the current problem with no return phone calls. I'm hopeful the Pex and fittings will stay intact and all will be good. Loosing the faucet is no biggie. More than likely I will pay out of pocket for the repairs at a local rv dealer than return to CW and have our motorhome get sucked into the black hole that is CW Kingston.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:28 AM   #6

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I don't think I would give up quite yet. A call to the GM at the store would be my next move. Tell him you want a full test & inspection of the water lines & faucets in question. And, any damage is repaired "ON-THE-SPOT". No, you are not leaving the coach.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:11 AM   #7

THOR #8264
99 Dart, I agree with you, but CW Kingston is a 3.5 hour drive each way and I've already done it twice. Figure gas +tolls+a hotel stay and I'm pushing over $400. Add the aggregation of dealing with that place. If it winds up that I need a repair around that much or a little more, why bother. I will fight for reimbursement, but I already know it will be a loosing battle. The rest of the rv was winterized, they just forgot the outside kitchen, so hopefully there is only a few lines involved.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:31 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The kitchen area is fairly well insulated, unless there was a really hard freeze you may not have damage. Put an electric heater on the counter, turn it on and close the door. After a few hours the ice should be thawed enough that you can run antifreeze thru the lines and also check for leaks. If the water pump shuts off when pumping antifreeze and doesn’t start running every few minutes you should be ok. Don’t forget to put antifreeze in the sink and run the pump. I would also check the outside shower on the other side. Good Luck!!!
Old 12-30-2017, 05:15 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
X2 Agree... best bet.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:25 AM   #10
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
If I were dealing with Camping World I would be doing it through Twitter @ Marcus Lemonis @ Camping World for everybody to see and they will have it sitting on their lap in seconds if you don't know how to use it ask your daughter son or somebody It's very effective. This guy claims he's all about the customer but it seems like it's furthest from the truth I do not shop at Camping World and did not buy my rig there because of their treatment to their customers. Why do you think his TV shows called the PROFIT??
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:18 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
My rig is there right now... I've been dealing with Dave: he assured me that they winterized my rig prior to the cold weather's arrival...
How bad to you think the damage is going to be?

(I'm just under an hour away from them...)
Old 12-30-2017, 07:35 PM   #12

THOR #8264
Just spoke with Aaron the service manager (a tough man to get ahold of). He says that more than likely all should be fine except for the faucet and the Pex should be ok. If all i'm going to need is a new faucet no biggie.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:55 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Did you happen to get Aaron's email? I've found that phones aren't as effective as emails, when you need to get a message to them.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:27 AM   #14

THOR #8264
Bob, No I'm sorry. I never e-mailed Aaron only talked to him on the phone or in person. I'm sure that you can get his e-mail from CW. It took three attempts and three days for him to call. I dealt with Tracy Jacques for the two months they had our Windsport. She was equally as bad at returning phone calls and fairly slow at e-mails. I have her e-mail if that helps. You have your rv there at the best time. We made the mistake of taking ours there in Aug and we're told we would have it back before the end of the month. I should have asked what month?
Old 12-31-2017, 03:38 AM   #15

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
RV antifreeze will freeze it just doesn't expand like water. The ice could be from moisture and condensation. I would not fret much until spring thaw.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:19 PM   #16

THOR #8264
Thanks Airforceret. I was not aware that RV antifreeze could freeze. Apparently it can freeze at 12 degrees.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:37 PM   #17

Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
Thats why I do all my own work, I know it is done right! Don't depend on CW or Jiffy Lube or anyone else.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:48 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTR10 View Post
Bob, No I'm sorry. I never e-mailed Aaron only talked to him on the phone or in person. I'm sure that you can get his e-mail from CW. It took three attempts and three days for him to call. I dealt with Tracy Jacques for the two months they had our Windsport. She was equally as bad at returning phone calls and fairly slow at e-mails. I have her e-mail if that helps. You have your rv there at the best time. We made the mistake of taking ours there in Aug and we're told we would have it back before the end of the month. I should have asked what month?
We should meet up sometime: I've got a really funny story about Tracey. (It's too long for in here... )
As far as I'm concerned: they can have my rig until the roads are clear...
As long as they take their time: they might as well complete each and every job to my satisfaction.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:44 AM   #19

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Did you happen to get Aaron's email? I've found that phones aren't as effective as emails, when you need to get a message to them.
Yeah? I found emails to CW service reps or the GM were futile. Voicemail was useless too.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:53 AM   #20

THOR #8264
I never thought I would be looking forward to my Thor warrenty to expire so I can stop dealing with CW and use my extended warrenty. Unfortunately there is no Thor dealer here on Long Island so I would have to pay for repairs, then get reimbursed from Thor for warrenty work, which I understand can take months. We have a small Jayco dealership about an hour from us that is family run. When you call they actually pick up the phone and talk to you, what a concept. When you take your rv in for service it doesn't sit for months before they even look at it.