Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2019, 07:05 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
A 5 gallon bucket of paint and a broom would work wonders!!!

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 01:58 PM   #62

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
reviving an old thread to continue the discussion....
and wonder if Tom is still checking in here for an update on your paint job....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
I finally gave in and had my 2015 Windsport 27K painted. Opted to have it painted the original beige color with no decals. It was done by RV Clearcoat in Plant City FL. The cost was 5-figures.

I couldn't be happier! You can literally see your reflection in the paint. And I don't miss the swirls and swooshes at all.
I'd like to know what does 5 figures really mean?...that's a wide range.
and I wonder do any of you have any recent price quotes for comparison?

A while back in this thread I mentioned my thought/question about doing a DIY marine paint project.
That has been in the back of my mind for a while....BUT.... I keep looping back around to the thought that I
a) really don't have a good place to do the job...basically the grass and gravel field where I store it
and
2) I don't really have the time to do it
and
c) While I recon it would be passable and likely good enough, it probably would not look great

So here we are sitting in an RV campground & I can't help but thinking my roughly 8 year old RV (which is really only about 7 years old since I bought it NEW) is pretty much for sure the worst looking rig in this park.

Despite the crappy materials and construction, the interior is still in decent condition

I'm toying with the idea that if I do get it painted or a DIY job, I would really like to change the color from the taupe or whatever this is to a base white. Given all the plastic trims etc... would that add significantly to the cost? how much more?

side note... I always used to say I'd rather have white but back in those days nobody was making them. Now I'm seeing tons of new ones that are white with swoosh mark accents. They confirm my old thought....I like the look.
Old 01-01-2022, 04:16 PM   #63

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post

A while back in this thread I mentioned my thought/question about doing a DIY marine paint project.
That has been in the back of my mind for a while....BUT.... I keep looping back around to the thought that I
a) really don't have a good place to do the job...basically the grass and gravel field where I store it
and
2) I don't really have the time to do it
and
c) While I recon it would be passable and likely good enough, it probably would not look great

So here we are sitting in an RV campground & I can't help but thinking my roughly 8 year old RV (which is really only about 7 years old since I bought it NEW) is pretty much for sure the worst looking rig in this park.

Despite the crappy materials and construction, the interior is still in decent condition

I'm toying with the idea that if I do get it painted or a DIY job, I would really like to change the color from the taupe or whatever this is to a base white. Given all the plastic trims etc... would that add significantly to the cost? how much more?

side note... I always used to say I'd rather have white but back in those days nobody was making them. Now I'm seeing tons of new ones that are white with swoosh mark accents. They confirm my old thought....I like the look.
Not quite sure I would invest in painting a 7-8 year old rig unless it was a high end model which commands great resale value. However if you could learn to paint with gel coat I think that would be your best bet.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:54 PM   #64

THOR #1249
Quote:
Snip

I had a quote from a local paint shop in Ocala several years ago and as best I can remember it was between 3k and 4k for 3 clear coats, no paint. I did not want to sink any more $$ into it, so I opted out.

Quote:
I usually stay in moderate priced campgrounds, so there is at least two or three RV's that are a little more ragged than ours.
Old 01-01-2022, 05:34 PM   #65
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:

I'd like to know what does 5 figures really mean?..
Over $10,000 is a lot of money to paint an RV that old. If you plan on keeping it for at least another 7 or 8 years it might be worth it to you.

Others just go the Poli-Glow route. If you do it right it will look at least as good as new (except for cracked decals)
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 05:42 PM   #66

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
If you watch any "resto" videos, you can see exactly why it's so expensive - when doing it RIGHT. Look at the surface area of a motorhome compared to a car... that's a LOT of (proper) prep, sanding/buffing/polishing - plus clear coat. A "proper" climate controlled building environment with professional grade equipment isn't cheap - and the labor involved is MANY hours.

What you're likely looking for is an Earl Sheib-esque paint job... a "budget" paint job that's not perfect by any measure, but better than Krylon spray paint or a "mop-in-a-bucket" paint job. You can remove the decals and do a lot of the prep work yourself (YouTube is your friend). The closer you can get it to "ready to spray" condition, the more $$$ you'll save. But work with the shop to see what they'll accept as "prep".

I "can spray painted" my first car... so I know what that looks like... a spray painted car!!

Do some searching - I think some of the remaining Earl Sheib shops were franchised.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:07 PM   #67

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
I had a quote from a local paint shop in Ocala several years ago and as best I can remember it was between 3k and 4k for 3 clear coats, no paint. I did not want to sink any more $$ into it, so I opted out.

I usually stay in moderate priced campgrounds, so there is at least two or three RV's that are a little more ragged than ours.
ha ha....yes us too. Except now days the sort of places we typically would go to are all sold out.....more demand than supply
Old 01-01-2022, 07:17 PM   #68

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Over $10,000 is a lot of money to paint an RV that old. If you plan on keeping it for at least another 7 or 8 years it might be worth it to you.

Others just go the Poli-Glow route. If you do it right it will look at least as good as new (except for cracked decals)

I agree it is a lot....and not something that I would really want to do....and even more it is most certainly not something my wife would be on board with. Still, weighing options and I just want to know for sure.

Yeah, probably not worth it....but as it is there is very little...almost no value in this MH that is otherwise in decent "used" shape.
And more important to me, it's getting to the point that it's embarrassing and so I don't enjoy it much.

I'm not familiar with poliglow. It looks to be a lot like the acrylic floor polish....which I have done in the past. The first time I did it it was stunning. My rig is so bad now it wouldn't really work. I tried another product I'd read about, called Flotrol. It worked about like the floor polish except it seems like it didn't hold up as long and the MH was worse by then so it didn't look great.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:23 PM   #69

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
If you watch any "resto" videos, you can see exactly why it's so expensive - when doing it RIGHT. Look at the surface area of a motorhome compared to a car... that's a LOT of (proper) prep, sanding/buffing/polishing - plus clear coat. A "proper" climate controlled building environment with professional grade equipment isn't cheap - and the labor involved is MANY hours.

What you're likely looking for is an Earl Sheib-esque paint job... a "budget" paint job that's not perfect by any measure, but better than Krylon spray paint or a "mop-in-a-bucket" paint job. You can remove the decals and do a lot of the prep work yourself (YouTube is your friend). The closer you can get it to "ready to spray" condition, the more $$$ you'll save. But work with the shop to see what they'll accept as "prep".

I "can spray painted" my first car... so I know what that looks like... a spray painted car!!

Do some searching - I think some of the remaining Earl Sheib shops were franchised.
Yes! That's exactly what I'm thinking for a rig this old...and I guess what I'm trying to sort out..... is that <10,000 price for a proper Mercedes level job or for a Earl Schwab dress up? Big difference.
And it's kinda what I'm thinking that a DIY marine paint job would look like...better than a rattle can by a few levels...but not exactly right either.

and for what it's worth...and I think I might have posted about this earlier in this same thread...I did an experiment on what was at the time my worst area, the front overcab bunk nose cone. Rattle can clear coated it and it actually looked kinda good! I'll bet given a decent sheltered place to work and with a lot of effort a person could get a passable job with a rattle can...it just wouldn't last nearly as long I think as the Earl Schwab special....
Old 01-01-2022, 07:37 PM   #70
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Bite the bullet, and spend the money...
You'll forget about the cost LONG before you forget about the pride...
Old 01-01-2022, 08:26 PM   #71

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
THOR #1295
Just do it!

I totally agree - not a day goes by that I am not thankful for spending the money.

After all, you spent so much money on the motorhome - might as well have it look good.
Been 3 years now and I can still see people walking on the road behind me while watching the outside TV (Their reflection in the paint).

WELL WORTH EVERY PENNY! (even though it costs many pennies).
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:41 PM   #72

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Agree $10,000 (if that’s the right number) is a lot of money to invest in an older coach, however, I would also consider the “inherent” value of the motorhome being painted, and how a full-body paint job would affect overall appearance and value.

For example, if painting a Ford Class C, I would be willing to spend more on a 2008 or later model year because it could look almost like a new motorhome. If it was 2007 or earlier, it would look dated no matter what.

Likewise, investing the same amount on paint for a semi-classic Born Free would be easier than on a lower-cost Coachmen, Gulfstream, Winnebago or Thor Class C. Also a low mile coach versus with high miles, etc. It could be an investment, or sending good money after bad.

I recall seeing an older Foretravel in a Colorado campground that looked like it had just been repainted solid white (or off white). It looked great for an older unit, although the paint job could have been done years earlier. Nice thing about paint is that it can hold up nicely if taken care of.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:01 PM   #73

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Not sure.
But this was a $11,000 upgrade from Thor.
I bought it used at wholesale so didn't cost me anything.
Not a fan of the flash, but about maintenance free.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210320_073343.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	35432
Old 01-01-2022, 09:03 PM   #74

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Not sure.
But this was a $11,000 upgrade from Thor.
I bought it used at wholesale so didn't cost me anything.
Not a fan of the flash, but about maintenance free.Attachment 35432
Don't know what you consider flash but I sure like my flashy ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flash.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	35433  
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:21 PM   #75

THOR #21394
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
I like my ride too.
I can get in about any spot I want in all the National Forests and State Parks we go to. It's 30 feet and most of the time fits under the limbs.
Also real easy in restaurant parking lots.
If it wasn't for that, I'd have a 35-37 foot Class A.
On the flash, when I buy the Hellcat Redeye, it'll be brown.
Under the radar for me.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:21 PM   #76

THOR #21394
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Forgot, nice rig.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:04 PM   #77

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
For example, if painting a Ford Class C, I would be willing to spend more on a 2008 or later model year because it could look almost like a new motorhome. If it was 2007 or earlier, it would look dated no matter what.

Likewise, investing the same amount on paint for a semi-classic Born Free would be easier than on a lower-cost Coachmen, Gulfstream, Winnebago or Thor Class C. Also a low mile coach versus with high miles, etc. It could be an investment, or sending good money after bad.
Since we've been using the rig for several days now (no in Fort Wilderness), I have been thinking a lot about this comment.....and I think it's a great point.... even though mine is a 2013 model, if it were painted it really would not look all that different from many of the much newer class C's I see around me. The E-450 chassis looks exactly the same, and while a person that knows RV's could spot differences, they wouldn't be anything all that significant.
I've added a lot of upgrades over the years and most everything about the rig has been fixed or upgraded. If I had just used it and let it go in the condition and state that Thor built it, then most definitely it would be falling apart and not worth it.... but my comparison is a bit harder. The bigger question might be how much longer I plan to keep it, and am I willing to sell it at an extremely low price when we do let it go..... I'd never get the money back for a top notch paint job, but a lower end one to give it more curb appeal....it might not hurt after I get a few more years of enjoyment.

Seems like not enough folks have gotten their rigs painted to give a decent picture of the costs to compare the different grades of paint jobs....what do we have...one person here that paid $10k or more?... but we don't know if that was an Earl Sheib sort of cheap special or a top notch high quality job....

Guess I'll have to call a few body shops in my area and see if I can get a feel for it that way.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:56 PM   #78

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

......cut.....

Seems like not enough folks have gotten their rigs painted to give a decent picture of the costs to compare the different grades of paint jobs....what do we have...one person here that paid $10k or more?... but we don't know if that was an Earl Sheib sort of cheap special or a top notch high quality job....

Guess I'll have to call a few body shops in my area and see if I can get a feel for it that way.

Comparing paint job costs can also be difficult if motorhomes are built differently. Classic GMC or Cortez etc. are often repainted as part of a full restoration, but their bodies are built very differently and require different prep. The Cortez were built from steel like a car or van and therefore rusted, something your motorhome house won’t do.

You are right though, most motorhomes never get repainted — probably because they fall apart or become obsolete to the point it’s not worth the cost of painting. Your motorhome repainting issue raises the same questions I have on how much to spend on restoring a classic car, or how much to spend on upgrading my house. It’s a tough decision for some, while others won’t think twice.

For what it’s worth, I spent about $1,500 repainting just the roof on van so I could get another year out of it. The paint shop said I would get 6 months to a year before issue started to come back, so 3+ years later it was a great deal from a cost standpoint. I need to paint again and this time don’t want to “invest” another +/- $1,500 on a second temporary fix given the age and condition of the van.
Old 12-12-2022, 03:02 AM   #79

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
I did the classic "Body filler / rattle can paint" repair on one of my front Jeep TJ fenders. I got a kit off Amazon which included exact match paint and clear coat. A LOT of meticulous filling/sanding on a rust-through hole. Many meticulous light coats of spray paint and clear coat. LOTS of wet sanding and buffing...

I did this in my garage... it's VERY difficult to tell it's not factory, unless of course you're a Jeep body expert. VERY happy with the results.

After spending literally days restoring oxidized motorhome gelcoat, I've often wondered if just clear coat - several coats, properly applied - would completely seal the gelcoat and decals? Would it stop oxidation and prevent cracking of the vinyl decals?

If (say 3 coats) clear coat was to be sprayed and properly sanded/buffed BEFORE the decals faded and cracked?? Better than Poli-glow like products? A permanent solution??
Old 12-12-2022, 03:24 AM   #80

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley-Dilley View Post
WOW! How long will it last? Any problems with bubbles? What kind of prep work is required?

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote