Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2018, 02:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24FS
State: New Mexico
THOR #12181
furnace ducting

I was trying to figure out how to run a new HDMI cable from my DVD player over the refrigerator to the aft cabin tv. So, I removed the grill that covers the furnace and found aluminum tape covering one of the outlets. It was no longer covering the vent. has any one seen this before?
I also have been wondering why most people leave there slide outs deployed when their coach is being stored? I see this all the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180915_113159_resized.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	12859  

Old 09-17-2018, 11:08 AM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
I once said the dealer is the final assembly point for Thor products. Now I say I am. On mine, one duct was cut too short so they just pointed it toward the vent and left it lie there. Wondered why so little heat came from that vent. I was able to reroute and stretch it long enough to tape it to the vent. Once again, quality?

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Slides out when stored...big debatable issue. I prefer "in" as they give a better seal against blowing rain, dust and critters. If you have toppers, that cuts a little of that problem out. Also, If I have to jump and run, they are in the road-ready position. As far as heater ducting...and anything else. My advice to anyone is take a day or so and go through every single thing/connector in your RV once you get it home. You'll find lots of things that need small adjustments or termination. It's the nature of any RV and Thor doesn't have any more issues than any other brand out here. The general labor pool that feeds this product production process isn't from the same garden that feeds GM or any other established, production line type products. Often, these loose screws go unnoticed for many,many months as the coaches sit in inventory on dealer lots. I think a lot of the big issues are a result of little issues that have gone unattended for too long. I think there's an opportunity for a start-up business of a professional walk-thorough service for new buyers of higher end RV's. You can be the bad guy with the dealer, make sure everything in perfect and whistle for the new owners like a well trained dog when everything is ready. If the dealers knew "you" were coming, they would do a better job before you get there.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
If the dealers knew "you" were coming, they would do a better job before you get there.
I'm not sure that is true. Why waste their time/effort to fix things when the customer is paying someone else to point out/fix things?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
The "someone else" isn't there to repair...just to inspect and blow the deal for the dealer if they don't get their turds all in a row. Kinda like a home inspector half way through closing.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I doubt the idea or concern about 'slides' being in or out during storage makes any difference one way or the other, though folks will certainly give you their 'reasons', for sure...

if you are 'living' in your coach, parked for months on end, the slides are always out, right? why would it make any difference if the coach is parked or stored for months on end, with no one living in it? None.
Some folks have rooms to leave them out during storage, and it gives you more room to move around should you need to visit the coach periodically. Some folks don't have room, or the coach is exposed to the weather more, and they feel more comfortable with the slides in. To each his/her own, it really matters not.