Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
Furnace issue/concern

I've been camping since Tues night. Woke up Weds to mid 30's. I obviously didn't freeze thru the night. I noticed that my furnace was not blowing heat. I could hear it trying to light off and "roar" for only about 2-3 seconds, then blower only. It would attempt light off often.
I called Atwood and a local RV service center. Tech was helpful with possible ideas. My tank is slightly more than half full. I ran my fridge on gas only to test gas supply. All seem fine.
The odd "good" issue is that the furnace has run fine the last two nights.
Anyone else experience similar hiccups?

Old 02-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #2

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
I've been camping since Tues night. Woke up Weds to mid 30's. I obviously didn't freeze thru the night. I noticed that my furnace was not blowing heat. I could hear it trying to light off and "roar" for only about 2-3 seconds, then blower only. It would attempt light off often.
I called Atwood and a local RV service center. Tech was helpful with possible ideas. My tank is slightly more than half full. I ran my fridge on gas only to test gas supply. All seem fine.
The odd "good" issue is that the furnace has run fine the last two nights.
Anyone else experience similar hiccups?
Sure sounds like the gas supply. Before I try to run anything hooked up to gas, I turn on and light the stove with a butane lighter and let it run for a while to make sure that the gas lines don't have any air in them. If your fridge ran fine, it sounds like gas was getting past the stove ok. Was it really windy? If everything is still running fine, it may be you had a small piece of dirt or something in the line that worked itself out..
Old 02-05-2016, 09:02 PM   #3

Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
No, breezy but not windy. I'm hoping it's all good from here out.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:42 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #3507
I had a similar sounding issue recently. Our furnace worked fine on several different days, but one day it was unable to light, cycling on/off repeatedly. I lit the stove and let that burn a while, and the furnace began working. Maybe a coincidence, but the problem hasn't reoccurred. The day before the problem happened, I'd run the furnace for a couple of hours straight.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:37 AM   #5

Model: Outlaw 29h
State: Missouri
THOR #980
Sounds like air in the gas line. Do as suggested above, light the stove, make sure to purge the line. You may have to try a few times but the furnace should light.
Towed: 2013 Jeep Wrangler
Toy hauling: BMW F700 GS & G650 GS (Sertao)
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:28 PM   #6

State: North Carolina
THOR #2107
Furnace issue

Hi. Had the same issue while camping in cold weather last week. I picked up a two stage regulator for $40 at a local hardware store and replaced the original. Problem solved. 30.2 ACE.

I'm still under warranty, so I'll ask Thor to reimburse me or send a new regulator as a spare. They are good about sending parts.

Regards.