Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
........,Atwood would not sell me one directly as their lawyers don’t want us common folk messing with their stuff, as if the idiot at CW would do any better.
HA!
You are spot-on!

Old 06-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #22

State: Florida
THOR #15383
I am still fighting furnace not lighting Atwood model AFMD35141A. Spent last 2 days and 9 hours with a mobile tech trying to correct. Found out Atwood was bought by Dometic. Got in contact with Dometic ( Elkhart, Indiana) and a tech, formerly Atwood, that had several years experience with model and issues. He said if u have a Coleman Mach thermostat, Coleman did not follow Atwood instructions for installation and thermostat is improperly wired. Today I finally have furnace heat but furnace still operating incorrectly. My mobile tech said he has been working on different Atwood models for years and not seen this. Very frustrating and expensive.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:48 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #11915
We just got home from our first 4,500 mile trip with our 2019 Thor Vegas 24.1. Overnight temps were sometimes down to the low 30’s and our new furnace would not run consistently. We had propane (valve open) and ran the stove burner to purge lines. It would attempt to light with random success. Sometimes it heated the rv and then shutoff, next time not. The ignitor was working and the blower came on, but when it didn’t light - no heat and it would shut down. I called a mobile tech (26 years in the business) when several Thor authorized repair places told us they couldn’t even look at it for 2-3 weeks. He said the Dometic/Atwood furnaces have a metal pipe fastened to the unit from the factory. During the buildout of the RV, workers are using that as a “handle” to carry it to the install site and to manuver it into place in the RV. In the process it can get just slightly bent, which can cause the gas to be restricted part of the time. He took a screw driver and bent the pipe a very tiny bit. It worked for the rest of our trip. It is at the dealer now for a long list of warranty issues and I have to find out how to submit the tech bill to Thor for reimbursement.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:54 PM   #24

THOR #15383
Good for u.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:05 AM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #14056
Thanks for all the ideas. At this point I am going to let the dealership fix it in the fall. However, I will wrote back to this post to let everyone know what the issue was in case they have something similar.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:14 PM   #26

THOR #13362
After reading abt all the furnace issues on the Forum...I tried to run my Atwood furnace this morning.
But like so many on this Forum, the fan runs, it sparks as designed, doesn’t light, I could smell propane and after 3 tries, the unit shut down.
I tried two more times, three sparks and I was out!

So I took the unit apart

1) remove outer cover
2) turn off propane and reset switch to OFF
3) disconnected propane from “carburetor”
4) remove 3 screws holding the “carburetor & flame assembly with igniter” to the heat box
5) removed two electrical connections (Black wire & Red wire) to the flame assembly which allows entire removal of flame assembly with igniter
6) once removed, noticed that the igniter (spark tongs) were near the flame burner, but not far enough apart to create a large & long spark
7) so I bent the “spark tongs” to allow a 3/4” spark
8) tested to see large, long spark (to test I reconnected the electrical wires & turned on reset switch, but no propane was on. Then I disconnected)
9) I then re-assembled carburator-flame assembly-igniter, turned-on reset switch, turned on propane, replaced cover
10) works the first time, every time now that the spark is larger & longer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97A30735-D69F-43FA-B31F-FF54085B0A88.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	17851  
Old 06-03-2019, 12:36 AM   #27

THOR #15383
Per Dometic tech support, the 2 electrodes should be 1/8 inch apart and the larger (upper tube) should be 3/8 inch from the burner. I am getting very educated on terms and procedures trying to get problem solved with furnace, all at a hefty price.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:28 PM   #28

THOR #13362
worked great this morning, first spark!
and my electrodes are nearly 3/4" apart
so i'm happy
Old 10-08-2019, 12:01 AM   #29

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
THOR #12484
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	20714

taylorbob1,

Getting the run around from Atwood. Furnace lights for from 2-10 seconds and will continue indefinitely. Thought I may have an altitude adjustment problem but there is none. Plent of propane smell outside exhaust and seems starved for O2.
Please take a look at the pic and suggest where to start. Thanks
2002 National See Breeze 1341
mstng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:28 AM   #30

THOR #13362
I used my furnace every night & early morning last week along the central California coast. 5 days straight days. Lit first time every time and stayed on as designed

So...
If you’ve never removed the burner, then you probably should.
1) take photos of all wiring connections
2) turn off propane
3) turn switch at entry steps to “store” so there’s no battery power
4) disconnect all electrical connections
5) remove the propane connection to burner assembly
6) remove the 3 screws holding the burner assembly in place. You may need a long Phillips head screwdriver with magnetized end
7) gradually remove entire burner assembly

Once removed, you can see the simplicity of the unit.
For me, the spark assembly was not lighting the burner
So I bent the tongs closer to the burner and (after doing the job twice) finally decided that the spark needed to be “longer”. So I spread the spark tongs further apart to give the burner adequate ignition.

That was the trick for me.
I hope yours is that simple
Good luck and let us know the results.

PS. After all that I wrote, I realized that I wrote the same above several posts ago.
So nothing has changed for me
Just take the friggin’ thing apart and see what you see
Old 10-08-2019, 12:32 AM   #31

THOR #12484
Thanks a bunch. Can I get to this all from the outside or do I need to get behind the main fuse box.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:13 AM   #32

THOR #13362
All from outside
It looks more difficult than it is
Old 10-08-2019, 01:26 AM   #33

THOR #12484
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
All from outside

It looks more difficult than it is

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I can sometimes make easy look pretty difficult but end up with the same result. If 2 hour job I plan for 6. Appreciate your info and experience. Plan to tackle it tomorrow before heading to the north rim.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:23 AM   #34

THOR #13362
One more thing...
Get a can of compressed air
Spray out every orifice while you’ve got it apart
Old 11-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #35

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: British Columbia
THOR #12480
Furnace issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Take the outside cover off and check. A common Thor problem even without "air vents". They have a habit of not installing the door gasket correctly and when water gets on or under the control board you get the experience you are having.
I have had living room furnace issues, always after a good rain or rv washing. Furnace will click every 2 seconds. I investigated and discovered water dripping on heater circuit board. I left the cover off (hot that day) and retried before dark, still had the same issue. I used the wifes hair drier to dry the circuit board and had no issues until we experienced heavy rain yesterday. I performed the same steps with the hair drier and folded a plastic freezer bag and gently installed over the board to divert the expected water as rain was forcasted (and received). I checked online when the problem first appeared and Atwood apparently provides a relocation kit to dealers, not customers. We are snowbirds in Arizona and I did not want to bring rv to dealer. Furnace functions properly with my fix although I do not suggest doing this as the relocation kit is the safe and proper way to fix an issue that you really should not have in the first place! Seals and everything else appear ok, I will investigate where the water is coming from when it stops raining. Bedroom furnace has no issues. We are living in our 2016 Thor Tuscany 36mq XTE. If anyone knows where to purchase an Atwood furnace circuit board relocation kit, please advise?