Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2020, 05:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #17902
Furnace very loud

I have a 2020 Thor 27R with a Dometic DF series furnace. When I first turn on the heater, the blowers start and run for a few seconds, then it appears the LP kicks and makes a very loud roaring noise until the coach reaches temperature. Then the roaring stops, the blowers run for a few minutes then they shut off. The noise is actually louder on the outside of the coach and disturbs my fellow campers.

Can anybody tell me the cause and any solutions to this problem. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:25 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It's just the flame in a venturi being a flame.
Have you listened to your disturbed camping neighbors furnaces as a comparison?

Some well placed rock wool or sound guard of some sort will help you a bit with the inside noise but not the outside.

(a propane fridge makes a similar but quieter noise)
(so does a tankless water heater, about as loud as the coach heater)
(so does any modern home furnace powered by any gas)

I'm going to guess that all 62.000 btu furnaces make very close to the same outside noise as any other 62,000(insert your number here) propane heater.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:38 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I worked on this a couple of years ago. I insulated the cold air return and it helped some overall (on the inside) but its just as loud on the outside. I did a write up on this if you want to do a search (I will see if I can find it and post it hear later).

I also stuffed insluation under every cabenet / drawers to absorb sound (perhap keeps a little more heat in or out of the RV depending on the season?)

IMO all of these furnuces are loud so most likey yours in operating fine. It wakes me up at night so I will heat up the RV some before I go to bed then turn it down to like 60 at night so it minimizes the amount it come one. I also will use a ceramic heater if its really cold when im plugged into shore power. But I dont do much winter camping so its not an issue for me.

Try insulating the cold air return and see how you like it. Let us know how it turns out.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:00 PM   #4

THOR #12231
Found my old writeup. "How I insulated my heater last winter". I hope this helps.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ter-14324.html
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 02-27-2020, 06:09 PM   #5

THOR #13932
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CTM0H1S...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Easy to build, easy to buy.
The noise doesn't bother us so I haven't done this yet.
When I put in the thermostatically controlled duct to the basement, I'll put these in while it's all torn apart.

(I think a 2 liter soda bottle stuffed/lined with scotchbrite would work really well.)
(so would a plastic shoe box from Walmart with some cardboard baffles duct taped inside)

Old 02-27-2020, 07:32 PM   #6

THOR #12231
Ok, I just looked at this link. Was that for the "cold air return" or the "forced heated air" (or both)?

Very intresting (but expesive). But you might need 2 or 3 of the 8 inch size for the Cold Air return so your not restrictive.

I like your idea of the home made baffle.

But if the noise really bothers you it might be worth it to some.

Thanks for the info.... I never seen that baffle before.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:40 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I know that the furnace in our Outlaw would drown out the sound of me snoring...
The Missus kind of liked that.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:45 PM   #8

THOR #13932
I wonder if a laminar jet would work for air?
Not the jet itself but a 2 liter bottle stuffed with drinking straws?
Would the laminar effect affect the white noise sound of the Unchecked duct?

Old 02-27-2020, 08:04 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsthomas1 View Post
I have a 2020 Thor 27R with a Dometic DF series furnace. When I first turn on the heater, the blowers start and run for a few seconds, then it appears the LP kicks and makes a very loud roaring noise until the coach reaches temperature. Then the roaring stops, the blowers run for a few minutes then they shut off. The noise is actually louder on the outside of the coach and disturbs my fellow campers.

Can anybody tell me the cause and any solutions to this problem. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
How's your water heater sound? Should be similar to the furnace. If either is unusually loud the air/gas mix may need to be adjusted slightly. The manual tells you how to do that.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:05 PM   #10

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
WHAAAAAT???? I can't hear you... the furnace is TOO LOUD!!
Old 02-28-2020, 08:12 PM   #11

THOR #17902
Thanks everyone for the info and ideas. The sound inside isn't that bad, it's the outside exhaust that's really loud. i like the idea of building that baffle, but the exhaust is pretty hot, so it would have to withstand some heat.

Does anybody know if there is an adjustment that can be made to reduce the gas flow without affecting the function of the heater too much?
Old 02-28-2020, 08:56 PM   #12

Model: Quantum RW28
THOR #15031
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Mine sounds like a literal jet engine starting up, LOL!

Jeff
Old 03-04-2020, 11:10 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #15745
All furnaces are LOUD. At least you know it is working properly.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:42 AM   #14

THOR #12281
Loud Furnace

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I too have noticed that the furnace in my Jayco Precept (now a Thor product) is loud when the burner turns on. I checked it out and everything looked OK so I guess it's the nature of the beast. It operates and heats fine otherwise.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:26 AM   #15
MLP

THOR #17478
If you are bothered by the noise and going to keep your rig for many years, then you may want to look into cheep heat. 30 or 50 amp electrical heating elements added to your furnace. It is in addition to the propane. That way when you have a power post, you can use the electric and be quiet and save on propane. Just one answer to the noise. I am not promoting it and do not have it or want it. The noise does not bother me, but maybe a solution to some that are.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:46 PM   #16

THOR #12281
Noise Doesn't Bother

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
If you are bothered by the noise and going to keep your rig for many years, then you may want to look into cheep heat. 30 or 50 amp electrical heating elements added to your furnace. It is in addition to the propane. That way when you have a power post, you can use the electric and be quiet and save on propane. Just one answer to the noise. I am not promoting it and do not have it or want it. The noise does not bother me, but maybe a solution to some that are.
Once I determined there probably was nothing wrong with the unit, the noise didn't bother me anymore. In fact, the white noise may be why I sleep so well in the RV. I have not yet had neighbors complain. Perhaps theirs does the same. But the electric heat suggestion is good for not-to-cold weather. I take a space heater when I plan to have some cold nights and it really does knock the edge off so that our comforter suffices to keep us warm.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:56 PM   #17
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
Once I determined there probably was nothing wrong with the unit, the noise didn't bother me anymore. In fact, the white noise may be why I sleep so well in the RV. I have not yet had neighbors complain. Perhaps theirs does the same. But the electric heat suggestion is good for not-to-cold weather. I take a space heater when I plan to have some cold nights and it really does knock the edge off so that our comforter suffices to keep us warm.

Be careful with the space heater. Another couple died in Florida at night do to a fire caused by a space heater. Several a year happen, but we too use one.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:59 PM   #18

THOR #12281
Safety With Space Heaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
Be careful with the space heater. Another couple died in Florida at night do to a fire caused by a space heater. Several a year happen, but we too use one.
Yes, I know there is a risk so I have made sure I picked a circuit that is not overloaded. I chose a high quality, safely designed heater and I do not run it on a high setting.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:57 PM   #19

THOR #19094
furnace noise

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I removed the furnace access panel inside the coach and discovered when the burner is on the outer sheet metal furnace housing is vibrating loudly, causing the noise. Putting my hand on the vibrating furnace panel quiets it down to "normal" noise level. I'm researching a suitable dampening material to stick on the sheet metal but it must be temperature and flammability suitable.

Or, looking for other simple solutions.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:52 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
2020 hurricane here

Ours sounds like I am back on carrier deck with jet taking off. Haha

Was camping neighbors that brought it out attention

Only has one exhaust port.

will make video when it gets into the 30s here in Tampa! ha
Attached Thumbnails