Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2019, 02:07 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Jersey
THOR #1963
Furnace won't stop running - ACE 30.1

Hi all,

Our furnace won't stop running even when we put the unit in store mode.

I think it is a bad breaker but none are labeled furnace. Any idea which one? Pictures will help. I will try to add one tomorrow.

Also - when I find which one - any other precautions before I start the replacement process?

Thanks in advance
Rob

Old 08-08-2019, 02:19 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Furnace is 12 VDC so powered by a fuse, not a breaker.

Store mode just disconnects the battery. If you are plugged into shore power the converter will still supply the furnace.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Old age memory may be getting the best of me but I recall a couple of years ago there was an issue with the exterior furnace access panel having the louvers cut wrong allowing rain to get inside and causing issues.

Could that be a contributor to the problem?

Do a forum search on Furnace Louvers and yo will find a bunch of threads on the topic.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #4

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
No mention of year of coach, or furnace manufacturer which can help. Did this problem start after or during a heavy rain? Were any changes/repairs being made in the coach recently around the thermostat or furnace?
I assume that you mean the furnace blower fan never stops running......or is the furnace continuing to heat also? Make sure the thermostat is not calling for heat and that the thermostat does not have a fan over ride control set to run/on. You could also try setting the thermostat to off or to cooling to see if that makes a difference.
Usually the furnace provides 12vdc to the thermostat and some thermostats also have a fuse inside which can be pulled to cut the 12vdc through the thermostat. If this does not stop the blower (there might be a time delay before it stops) then there may be a short cct somewhere or a bad control board as mentioned by previous posters. I have seen where the thermostat is actually calling for heat, but the coach has run out of propane.....and the fan continues to run.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:37 PM   #5

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
I had a similar problem with our heater. Cause was water under the heater control board, usually after it rained. See the attached post for a description of how I solved it.

Thor Forums - View Single Post - Rainwater leaking in furnace
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:12 AM   #6

State: New Jersey
THOR #1963
Update

Hi All,

It definitely could be caused by heavy rain flooding the furnace. This also caused the AC to stop working. The solution was to replace the breaker. Replacing the breaker was easy, but finding the right breaker was not. It is duplex 30/20 breaker. Buying them seperately might have worked in a pinch.

BTW - I turned off the furnace in the outside panel. The AC would not work without turning it back on.

Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 08-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #7

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well glad you fixed your issue.......but I am not sure how replacing a 120VAC breaker would fix your furnace fan (12vdc) from always running?

Probably the reason why your air conditioner was not working when the external power switch was off inside the furnace is because the furnace usually supplies 12vdc to the thermostat which uses that voltage to control calls for heat and cooling. So “switch off” inside furnace should result in no call for heat or cooling via the thermostat.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #8

Model: Thor 29M Hurricane
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7934
I had that same issue it was a fan running. Open the outside panel at the heater and you will find a reset switch turn that off and then back on and all seems to work again for me.

Tags
breaker, breaker box, furnace