Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2021, 09:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: West Virginia
THOR #24399
Hurricane 31D Hydraulic Levelers Troubleshooting

I'm troubleshooting my In-Law's 2007 Thor 31D Auto-Level System.
Background.. Levelers worked when last used about a year ago. Since then, I've replaced both coach batteries and the power center's converter assembly.

The engine's battery and both coach batteries are @ 13.4 VDC. The RV is connected to shore power. The E-Systems control panel is DOA. No LED's on when hitting "power". Jacks are extended. Parking brake on.

The only fuse I've found is an in-line 20A ADC at the pump. It checks out good.

I've read about a 50or 100A breaker tripping, but haven't found one. I've looked under the hood, in the coach battery compartment and crawled around under the coach with a flashlight tracing wires.

There's a connector on the back of the E-Systems control panel. Which pins are ground and 12vdc? What other fuses / breakers should I be looking for (and where might I find them)?

Thanks for any insight...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Levelers.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	32457  

Old 08-01-2021, 11:02 PM   #2

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Control panel will not power up: When the power switch is pressed, the power light should come on
regardless of the position of the vehicle’s ignition switch. Check for power at the back of the control panel. On
panels that have an ATO fuse at the back of the panel, the power connection (12 VDC positive) will be next to
the fuse. If the fuse is present -check it. The fuse should be rated at 20 amps. If a 20 amp fuse is blown, there
may be an issue that needs resolved. The ground for these panels will be the black wire in the end of the 12 pin
connector. If there is no fuse, the power and ground connector will be a 2 pin connector with a red (12 VDC
positive) and black wire (12 VDC negative or ground). Check across these wires for voltage. If power and
ground is present and the panel will not power up, then the control panel is defective. Locate the part number
from the sticker on the back of the board and call Equalizer for replacement. If there is no power or ground to
the control panel, the source must be located and repaired. On later model year units (after 2006) that have the 2
pin power and ground connector, the power and ground generally comes from the pump assembly. Locate the 2
pin connector at the pump and check the fuse at the pump assembly (if equipped). Check for power and ground
to the pump assembly. On earlier units the power and ground supply may have been supplied from the vehicle
fuse panel or directly from the battery. You will need to trace and locate to determine the issue.

https://equalizersystems.com/wp-cont...Georgetown.pdf
Old 08-02-2021, 04:03 PM   #3

THOR #24399
Thanks. I pulled the keypad last night and probed the connector. 12vdc is present across the black and red wires.

I took the keypad into better light and found significant corrosion on the PCB. Looks like moisture found it's way onto the exposed PCB. I disassembled the board from the keypad, and carefully scrubbed away the buildup, using isopropyl alcohol, and a soft toothbrush. I reassembled the unit and stuck it in a baggie of rice overnight. I'm going to go over and to the coach and reinstall... more later.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:31 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
On a side note... when I installed my golf cart 6 volt batteries, I must have blown 3 or 4 fuses scattered all over the place. Took hours to find them all. Just a warning that funky things can happen when disconnecting/reconnecting batteries.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:48 PM   #5

THOR #24399
I just re-confirmed 12vdc is @ the connector for the leveler keypad. The cleaned up keypad is still DOA. No LED’s. No response to any keys. As much as I hate to throw parts at a problem, our next move is to replace the keypad. Seems like the logical route since finding corrosion on the old keypad.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:06 AM   #6

THOR #24399
Just a quick update. I’ve confirmed the original keypad was bad. It was replaced and powers up as expected.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:19 PM   #7

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Good to hear.