Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Illinois
THOR #15227
Electronic Steering Dampner Worn Out

My ex spouse must have had an Electronic Steering Dampner put on the Steering wheel after market. The right side is worn out and causing grinding when turning right. This damper has hydraulic fluid in it which may be low and cannot be added to. It's a weird product that when it dies that's it. I Have a mobile mechanic here now. He's going to grease it a bit first. And if that doesn't solve the problem, we are thinking about disengaging it. Any thoughts are welcomed. Thank you.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #2

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
What model Thor do you own?
Old 02-07-2020, 05:20 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Electronic? Are there wires going to it?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:55 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Somewhere I read or saw an add for an electronic steering stabilizer that you could set to compensate for wind or road crown. I wanna say Blue Ox maybe mfgr it. Sounded like more of a sell it to the driver than what it actually was capable of, IMO. I’d google around looking for who Made it and see if it’s worth trying to repair.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:58 PM   #5

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Somewhere I read or saw an add for an electronic steering stabilizer that you could set to compensate for wind or road crown. I wanna say Blue Ox maybe mfgr it. Sounded like more of a sell it to the driver than what it actually was capable of, IMO. I’d google around looking for who Made it and see if it’s worth trying to repair.

on my ford expedition and the previous F150 with the EPAS steering, it had the damper thingy as part of programming, it would sense the driver holding wheel to counter road conditions and then ASSISTS by relieving some of that effort by the driver

I am sure almost every vehicle that has electronic assist power steering has this feature built in

some class A coaches have it as well, but maybe thor snuck one in
Old 02-08-2020, 03:34 AM   #6

THOR #14698
"I am sure almost every vehicle that has electronic assist power steering has this feature built in

some class A coaches have it as well, but maybe thor snuck one in"

I googled Blue Ox and they make the aftermarket electronic steering damper I was referring to, TruCenter. It is supposed to work by setting the wheel to the position you want to fight the wind then you click a button to lock that center position in place. It is not an automatic system. It seems to me that unless you are battling a consistent cross wind at exactly the same mph and the road never varies off of straight you would be constantly clicking the system off repositioning the wheel and turning the system back on. I think for the money this thing costs a Safe-T-Plus or a Road master Reflex steering stabilizer would be money better spent. The TruCenter system I have seen advertised on the inner web starts at around $900 for the damper add the brackets and it's over $1000. a Roadmaster Reflex for the F 53 can be had with brackets for around $350
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 02-08-2020, 03:50 AM   #7

THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureLover View Post
My ex spouse must have had an Electronic Steering Dampner put on the Steering wheel after market. The right side is worn out and causing grinding when turning right. This damper has hydraulic fluid in it which may be low and cannot be added to. It's a weird product that when it dies that's it. I Have a mobile mechanic here now. He's going to grease it a bit first. And if that doesn't solve the problem, we are thinking about disengaging it. Any thoughts are welcomed. Thank you.
What model and year coach do you have?
Have you looked through the coach for paper work on the damper? If it is a Blue Ox Tru-Center steering stabilizer it carries a one year warranty
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 02-08-2020, 04:36 AM   #8

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
yes what year and model or information on the unit